Xsr 900 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Xsr 900

yanksingh

Sorry if there is already a similar thread. I did the search but didn't see any. I am looking to get this bike. Did the demo ride and like it better then FZ09. I will be trading in 08 zx6r.

Looking for any personal experience from current riders. Should I pull the trigger or wait for a year since this is first year model. Are there any know issues like FZ09 was plagued with when it came out ?

Sorry if there is already a similar thread. I did the search but didn't see any. I am looking to get this bike. Did the demo ride and like it better then FZ09. I will be trading in 08 zx6r.

Looking for any personal experience from current riders. Should I pull the trigger or wait for a year since this is first year model. Are there any know issues like FZ09 was plagued with when it came out ?

I doubt you'll find a lot of firsthand feedback. This thing is practically new, XSR900 came out a couple of months ago. Suspension should be a bit better than FZ09 but the engine is tuned the same way. Btw, what you mean by "FZ09 was plagued with issues"?

I doubt you'll find a lot of firsthand feedback. This thing is practically new, XSR900 came out a couple of months ago. Suspension should be a bit better than FZ09 but the engine is tuned the same way. Btw, what you mean by "FZ09 was plagued with issues"?

Twitchy throttle
Suspension softer than marshmallow for anyone over 100lbs

BUT
there was an ECU upgrade that supposedly fixed the twitchy throttle and
there are many aftermarket and 'quick fix' things to beef up the shock/springs on the FZ.

I wouldn't say 'plagued' but could have been better. For the money, I don't think there's a better bike for fun/real every day use factor out there. YMMV.

I think he means the suspension and throttle issues. From what I've read, the XSR has none of those. The throttle mapping was updated on the FZ for 2015. The budget suspension is still on the FZ, hence the cheaper price.

Good call on the XSR, it's a tough choice for me between that an the FJ. Although I like the looks of the XSR a lot more, the FJ suits my riding style. Heck, why not both???

Yes, I was referring to suspension and throttle issues. I heard about a noisy CCT on 09 as well.

Yes, I was referring to suspension and throttle issues. I heard about a noisy CCT on 09 as well.

These aren't issues ... although FZ09's soft suspension might not have many fans out there, I don't consider it as recall type of a problem. The same applies to twitchy throttle ... it was mapped that way by factory and it can be easily fixed with ECU flash.

Throttle response in B mode is much more user friendly. I kinda like the raw nature of A mode as it is, i haven't even giving it the second thought about getting a flash.

As for the suspension, regular day to day riding it's fine. If you are dragging knees on the street, then it def needs to be upgraded which can be done fairly cheaply.

I'm too looking to get FZ-09 or XSR900..haven't done test ride but just sat on both FZ-09 and XSR900, for my height I feel XSR900 is a tad bit on tall side although I can put both my legs down but balls of my feet which makes me lil' uncomfortable.

I spoke with Yamaha dealer in sauga and they said twitchy throttle is improved on '15 model of FZ-09 dunno about suspension but see many Ytube vids where all kinds about how suspension feel, my 2 cents are you can improve stock suspension with proper setting and better suspension oil.

These aren't issues [/COLOR]
I referred them as an issue since I have to work on them right away if I decided to go with FZ. I agree it May not be an issues for everyone.

I'm too looking to get FZ-09 or XSR900..haven't done test ride but just sat on both FZ-09 and XSR900
I did the demo ride on FZ n XSR back to back. FZ was 15 but XSR felt buttery smooth compare to FZ. Not 100% sure if the flash was done on FZ

I have not ridden the XSR but I have been following these bikes since the FZ-09 and the FJ-09 came out. The throttle response seems to be better sorted out since the first year of the FZ-09 and Yamaha has also has ABS on the FJ-09 so there are elements of both bikes in the XSR900. While I am sure there will be tweaks make to the XSR over the coming years I would have no reservations about buying one of these if I were in the market for one. The engine has been out a few seasons now in the FZ and FJ and lessons learned and elements of both bikes are sprinkled into the XSR. It is a beautiful bike and with it and the updated Triumph classics the Honda CB1100 needs to up its game to compete with these bikes. I have looked at both of the XSR900s on the Two Wheel showroom and they are nice stock.

I love the style of this bike. Unfortunately couldn't make it out to the last demo day. Think I will wait a year or two though for them to hit the used market.

Many dealers have FZ09 available for demo ride. Just test that. Basically the same bike. Quite a bit of a price premium on XSR though for aesthetics IMO.

The ABS on the XSR makes up for some of the price premium.

Anyone check out the SCR900 yet? Wow! :)

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4809&group=MC&catId=79

Edit: Oops... The SCR is Bolt based so make that a SCR950. Still a nice looking bike. :) It obviously would have nowhere near the performance of the XSR900 though.

Last edited:
I bought one without a demo ride. The suspension upgrade, and the slipper clutch are worth it for me. The ABS and traction control are really nice too.

I wasn't looking for it actually, but just stumbled upon it.

I was originally looking at a FZ-07 with the great twin sound, but the FZ-09 wasn't much more $$, so I started looking at that. The mushy suspension would not do for me since I am over 200LB's, so after considering the cost to upgrade that, it was easy. The NEO Retro styling is really growing on me.

I traded in my 2001 ZX-6R that I have had forever, and still really liked. The stupid increase in insurance, and it's tough to ride for a few hours and enjoy it made the change necessary.
The fact I can ride for hours is the closer.

I did notice a big increase in torque, so be careful with the throttle.

Mr Al

I've ridden this and the fz09, and they feel pretty similar. I'm not a big fan of the sound and the tank didn't fit my long legs (my knees end up on the Yamaha logo) .

The suspension didn't feel drastically different from the fz09. It apparently uses the same components with different settings? I wasn't able to find anything too comprehensive with a quick search.

I haven't ridden the Triumph triples to compare, but the Yamahas seem pretty good. If you like the look, I'd go for it. The engine is great. The throttle issues have been sorted out for a while now.

(I would buy the fz07 out of the three though)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Went to dealer yesterday and made an offer. I was quoted $500 off MRSP of 60th anniversary. Is this a good deal or I can do better?

Went to dealer yesterday and made an offer. I was quoted $500 off MRSP of 60th anniversary. Is this a good deal or I can do better?

I believe the 60th anniversary is $500 more than the regular XSR due to the paint scheme. That being said, the yellow race blocking is obviously the correct choice. I expect pictures when you receive it!

Back
Top Bottom