Garmin Zumo PAIN! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin Zumo PAIN!

Ninja650Wolf

Site Supporter
Bought a Garmin Zumo 2 days ago. Second ride with it and it fell off the cradle.

I now have a piece of junk and out $599+ in 2 days.

Anyone have a better cradle to use for future zumo? Other then the stock crap one.

Was it unlocked and up when you started out?

RAM mounts work and ease the pain with a $100 iPhone and the Garmin apps.

Works - cheap.

Top of Beartooth last June

beartoothgps.jpg

here you go $50

iPhone 4S 16GB Rogers
City of Toronto< 52 minutes ago
iPhone 4S 16GB Rogers looking for a new home. Recently upgraded to the new iPhone 5S. This phone was taken very good care off. Has minor blemishes in the rim (caused by case) Comes with: Dock (shown…

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/c...rs/1155640829?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
@Ninja650Wolf another vote for ram mounts.
And if the gps fell out of the mount that was supplied with it, that was designed for a bike (assuming you mounted it correctly and it was in the mount correctly ) I would go back to point of sale and state my case. See if they will exchange it. Worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

If it is defective it will be replaced under warranty. Never had an issue with my Zumo mounts on 4 different bikes. Contact GARMIN and see what they can do to fix or replace.

Which Garmin and mount did you use? I've had a Zumo for a couple seasons, and the locking mechanism seems pretty solid.

I'm also concerned about which mount you used. I used the motorcycle mount that came with my GPS and I rely on it being safe and secure to hold the GPS in place. I've got a Zumo 390LM and the cradle feels solid to me.

Which Garmin and mount did you use? I've had a Zumo for a couple seasons, and the locking mechanism seems pretty solid.

If the mount failed, it would be a warranty issue. Seeing as he only had it for 2 days I am guessing it was user error. The mounts are extremely stable and solid from my experience. Having had stock mounts from Garmin for the Zumo 550 as well as the 660 and now using the rebranded Garmin, BMW Nav V. You would hear a massive uproar from users if this was a common occurrence with the mount failing. I had my Zumo 660 fall out just as I was leaving work, but it was completely my fault for not securely clipping it in place. I would not worry about your mounts failing.

My Zumo came with a car and a (much mire sturdy) motorcycle mount.

Mine did as well, you pay a higher price but you get everything you need for both car and bike, including all the wiring needed. A shame Garmin stopped making the Nuvi 550. It was waterproof and significantly cheaper then the motorcycle specific models. Works for simple A to B stuff for those who do not need all the bells and whistles.

It was a Garmin Zumo 235LM I think. I used the cradle that it came with, I was sure it was locked in when I left. But I guess not, all I heard was "clink clink". My headset said "phone 2 disconnected". Looked down and it was gone.
Found it 1km back, destroyed.

Getting a tomtom and getting strongest mount and making sure it never comes off.

Even memory card didn't make it.

It was a Garmin Zumo 235LM I think. I used the cradle that it came with, I was sure it was locked in when I left. But I guess not, all I heard was "clink clink". My headset said "phone 2 disconnected". Looked down and it was gone.
Found it 1km back, destroyed.

Getting a tomtom and getting strongest mount and making sure it never comes off.

Even memory card didn't make it.

Have you tried contacting Garmin? Just say it was a defective cradle, could very well be. You should get a replacement with zero cost to you. Unless your ok with just taking that loss and moving to TomTom.

There are a ton of bikers who use the Garmin GPS mounts and never have this issue, again not impossible but not a massive issue with them. Before walking away from one back experience I would contact support, explain what happened and go from there.

^ that's what I said. You never know.

Everyone seems to recommend RAM. Never tried one but im sure theyre very good.
Just to throw a different suggestion out there, I bought this thing a couple days ago
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/nelson-rigg-cl-gps-journey-gps-mate.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwp-S6BRDj4Z7z2IWUhG8SJAAbqbF3-S5cY4lT-bNLgMjEQL0opTGHdJzF2PCoQhjHtziLehoCMtfw_wcB#76=5899
the strap version, and it worked perfectly. Took a bit of finicking to get it on tight, and im sure it wouldnt work with every bike, but its worked for me so far. Took it on a 4 hour ride yesterday that included some offroading and the thing didnt budge. And I like that I can put a battery pack in one of the other pockets and charge my gps from that as I ride.

I've taken everyones suggestion and placed a ticket with support. I can take the hit on the gps and get a new one, but i am going to try and get a new one from garmin or something. Because the cradle did fail at it's job.
I know i secured it properly too.

Everyone seems to recommend RAM. Never tried one but im sure theyre very good.
Just to throw a different suggestion out there, I bought this thing a couple days ago
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ne...EQL0opTGHdJzF2PCoQhjHtziLehoCMtfw_wcB#76=5899
the strap version, and it worked perfectly. Took a bit of finicking to get it on tight, and im sure it wouldnt work with every bike, but its worked for me so far. Took it on a 4 hour ride yesterday that included some offroading and the thing didnt budge. And I like that I can put a battery pack in one of the other pockets and charge my gps from that as I ride.

This seems hard to look at if you need to while riding. Without looking away from the road.

I've taken everyones suggestion and placed a ticket with support. I can take the hit on the gps and get a new one, but i am going to try and get a new one from garmin or something. Because the cradle did fail at it's job.
Keep us posted. And good luck

If the mount failed, it would be a warranty issue. Seeing as he only had it for 2 days I am guessing it was user error. The mounts are extremely stable and solid from my experience. Having had stock mounts from Garmin for the Zumo 550 as well as the 660 and now using the rebranded Garmin, BMW Nav V. You would hear a massive uproar from users if this was a common occurrence with the mount failing. I had my Zumo 660 fall out just as I was leaving work, but it was completely my fault for not securely clipping it in place. I would not worry about your mounts failing.

I actually did click it into place and it was fine for about 1 KM or so, before it fell out. I remember i had to put it in with some force, same as first time, because it wouldn't fit properly otherwise.

My old street pilot clipped into the cradle, then you set a thumb screw to make sure they couldn't come apart on the road. Garmin has been going downhill since then (it had real buttons).

Back
Top Bottom