Africa Twin | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Africa Twin

The africa twin easily beats the bmw options for a true off-road capable adventure bike, as many people and mags have noted.

I'm really surprised this bike hasn't generated more talk here. It has redefined its bike segment more than another other bike in any other segment in probably 20 plus years.

So anybody else have ridden the Africa Twin? The Question now is to get DCT or stick with Manual?

If you are going to do a lot of off road, and especially long hauls, they recommend dct and I would tend to agree. Imagine trying to feather the clutch amongst all the other things on a big heavy bike off road in tricky situations at the end of a long day of riding.

The africa twin easily beats the bmw options for a true off-road capable adventure bike, as many people and mags have noted.

I'm really surprised this bike hasn't generated more talk here. It has redefined its bike segment more than another other bike in any other segment in probably 20 plus years.

If you are going to do a lot of off road, and especially long hauls, they recommend dct and I would tend to agree. Imagine trying to feather the clutch amongst all the other things on a big heavy bike off road in tricky situations at the end of a long day of riding.

Rode both the DCT and the Manual today. The DCT feel very odd. I got more confidence on the manual. It may take time to get used to but need to make decision soon.

I did tested it. Not very impressed.
I also tested Yamaha Supertenere, Vstrom-1000, Honda Varadero, Kawasaki Versys 1000.

As for "Africa":
- not so smooth in driving as Versys
- engine vibration is worse than in Vistrom.
- not so fast as Versys
- not so comfy as Vsrtom or Varadero
- suspension too soft for street-highway riding
- expensive

This is just IMHO

I did tested it. Not very impressed.
I also tested Yamaha Supertenere, Vstrom-1000, Honda Varadero, Kawasaki Versys 1000.

As for "Africa":
- not so smooth in driving as Versys
- engine vibration is worse than in Vistrom.
- not so fast as Versys
- not so comfy as Vsrtom or Varadero
- suspension too soft for street-highway riding
- expensive

This is just IMHO

All the bikes you compare the AT twin are basically street bikes and that is not what Honda went after.
The At is supposed to go after the likes of the F800GS or 800 Tiger XCA.

Rode both the DCT and the Manual today. The DCT feel very odd. I got more confidence on the manual. It may take time to get used to but need to make decision soon.

Read people saying how it was weird at first but then in the end loved it and would recommend it. I know I would be on the fence about it as well, having no issues with conventional shifting. On my GSA it has quick shift pro which lets me change gears up and down without the clutch, but I can ride as normal as well if I want and find I still use the clutch 90% of the time.

There are hundreds of posts on ADVrider for the AT. If you want to get some more input from riders and owners try there.

All the bikes you compare the AT twin are basically street bikes and that is not what Honda went after.
The At is supposed to go after the likes of the F800GS or 800 Tiger XCA.

So true. If you want a pavement pounder the AT is not that. It should be obvious with Africa in the name. :)

A thread showing the AT in action. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/crf1000l-africa-twins-in-action.1143889/

Last edited:
My friend just picked one up from Brampton Powersports.
Silver one with DCT.
Should be a change as he's a big VFR fan.

I rode one with the DCT. I did like it.

I have a r1200gs as 80% of my riding is on road. If I did more off road this and the f800gsa would be top of the list.

I do think the F800 motor needs a revamp. It's noticeably lagging in the power department now

Last edited:

I have a r1200gs as 80% of my riding is on road. If I did more off road this and the f800gsa would be top of the list.

I do think the F800 motor needs a revamp. It's noticeably lagging in the power department now

Is the motor more-or-less the same as the F800GT?
Sure, more power for the sake of having more power than the next guy, but I spent 2 days with one in Tuscany, and I would say it has adequate power for bombing up/down elevation changes with some Italian sport cars. If anything, more vibration dampening would be first order of improvement.

Went for the Manual, DCT really didn't click with me.
Now touring the East coast with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6f314a744dfc4336ecf2af7f1a27506b.jpg

Last edited:

I was hoping that BMW would do a little update for 2017 when they made the changes to Euro4. I thought the Honda motor was a little more tractable both on and off road.

Went for the Manual, DCT really didn't click with me.
Now touring the East coast with it.

6f314a744dfc4336ecf2af7f1a27506b.jpg

This looks really nice. What luggage are you using? How did you find the ride out east... Was it one or two up?

This looks really nice. What luggage are you using? How did you find the ride out east... Was it one or two up?

3up ride :)
Me and my 2 up and my dog

Its a quick setup for luggage, hoping to get hard case for the bike but I just got the bike Friday and I left Saturday.

Got 25L waterproof saddle bags from GP, my wolfman tankbag and a kuryakin pet palace.
I fabricated using aluminum from Can tire brackets to hold the bags and used oventray as rack for the petpalace.

Setup is holding well.
31cd53e6d0224b83de4a5491b92d922e.jpg
b937d523bed1c9be1ddec0bef3513986.jpg

1c19121da136244f605fb10e4d707e58.jpg

I saw an Africa Twin yesterday. It looks like the real deal. I'd prefer a 19" front wheel tho. Also less mufflage.

3up ride :)
Me and my 2 up and my dog

Its a quick setup for luggage, hoping to get hard case for the bike but I just got the bike Friday and I left Saturday.

Got 25L waterproof saddle bags from GP, my wolfman tankbag and a kuryakin pet palace.
I fabricated using aluminum from Can tire brackets to hold the bags and used oventray as rack for the petpalace.

Setup is holding well.
31cd53e6d0224b83de4a5491b92d922e.jpg
b937d523bed1c9be1ddec0bef3513986.jpg

1c19121da136244f605fb10e4d707e58.jpg

Beautiful. I love the blacked out look.

I've never seen the pet carrier before. I wish I could squeeze my 110lb Lab into one. LOL

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zrfjRBEY_bk.[/video]

Back
Top Bottom