Africa Twin | GTAMotorcycle.com

Africa Twin

Would like to but very short supply due to damages at the factory in Japan from the Earth Quake. They have more deposits than they can supply this year. Certainly for $2000 more you can get a KTM 1190 but the AT is definitely more off-road focused than the 1190 or GS.

Would like to but very short supply due to damages at the factory in Japan from the Earth Quake. They have more deposits than they can supply this year. Certainly for $2000 more you can get a KTM 1190 but the AT is definitely more off-road focused than the 1190 or GS.

That's right, it's not actually from Africa. The name is a bit of a marketing ploy to suggest most interesting man type riding situation. Same with the Yamaha Super Tenere. I think it works.

The magazine reviews are coming in pretty solid, then again I don't see too many critical reviews of anything. If I had actual overlanding in mind it would get a serious look, dropping a GS all tricked out looks to be about a 2k problem every time it falls over.

That's right, it's not actually from Africa. The name is a bit of a marketing ploy to suggest most interesting man type riding situation. Same with the Yamaha Super Tenere. I think it works.

^ this
me thinks the closest most of these riders will ever get to africa is riding to the theatre district to see "lion king : the musical"

The magazine reviews are coming in pretty solid, then again I don't see too many critical reviews of anything. If I had actual overlanding in mind it would get a serious look, dropping a GS all tricked out looks to be about a 2k problem every time it falls over.

I would disagree with that, the GS is a very sturdy and solid bike especially when you have crash bars. Countless picture and stories of people dropping their GS and picking it up again to ride away. They are not fragile machines which is one of the reason they are the bench mark when it comes to adventure bikes.

I wanted to pick it up this year but I think I'll wait for 1 or 2 more years for the parts and after market to catch up...The plan is to actually ride this to Africa, let's see.

I wanted to pick it up this year but I think I'll wait for 1 or 2 more years for the parts and after market to catch up...The plan is to actually ride this to Africa, let's see.

so you are waiting for after market pontoons :D

i just picked up a 2016 Tenere ES. Came off a 07 Vstrom and multiple cruisers before that.

hands down the best bike i've ever had.

i just picked up a 2016 Tenere ES. Came off a 07 Vstrom and multiple cruisers before that.

hands down the best bike i've ever had.
I test rode a 2013 Tenere. Awesome bike and very well balanced, making it easy to ride. But it's heavy and I'm short, and I thought the combo might hurt me at some point, especially with a passenger increasing COG. The Africa Twin definitely looks interesting. I noticed a sold one sitting on the floor at Brampton Powersports yesterday. One of the rare sightings.

S10 came up for discussion at recent bike night. It was roundly panned but in fairness none of us had ever ridden one. Or sat on one. I like the 270 deg. motor and the straight simplicity of the anti anti jacking drive shaft.

The buzz for the africa twin is huge in the adv scene. ADVrider has many africa twin threads including a single one at over 900 pages, all on a bike that for the most part hasn't been delivered yet. With all the hype the aftermarket will come very fast for the bike.

I rode the Tenere ES last year. Great bike. My favorite ride that year and beyond. I'd go for Africa twin if I want more off road capability/use, Tenere if it is mostly on road, from interpreting their specs and riding each.

The Tenere has a loud intake honk. I liked it. The Africa twin had a similar one as well, just not as loud. The Tenere still has notable shaft drive jack, which I don't mind, whereas the chain driven Africa twin is the typical squat feel.

Last edited:
So anybody else have ridden the Africa Twin? The Question now is to get DCT or stick with Manual?

So anybody else have ridden the Africa Twin? The Question now is to get DCT or stick with Manual?

I rode the DCT back in December, and was treated at the time to some slick animated videos and demonstrations of the how the DCT worked, and also of the different drive modes before taking it out. Unfortunately, I didn't get any opportunity to ride it offroad, but what I did experience impressed me very much. I tried the transmission in several different modes, including the sport (yah!)and the more economy oriented ones (blah.) You can also shift up and down with your left thumb and forefinger if you want. in fact, for those that miss using their foot, you can have a shifter installed that simply acts as a switch up and down.
It was easy to get used to accelerating without reaching for the clutch. I found it took me the longest to stop reaching for it when I stopped. The other thing is, if you're one of those rider that has to give a blip before you move off, you'll surprise yourself when the bike lurches...
The transmission was responsive - it shifted when it needed to - and more importantly, when I expected it to. The first time it really surprised me was to the good. We were moving at a pretty good clip when the leader zipped to the left. I hopped on the brakes, and as I as braking, the bike downshifted 3 times...held the gear through a long left turn, then shifted back up as I accelerated back up to speed. All I did was work the brakes and throttle and I was in the best gear for the turn the whole time.
As impressed as I was, I'm not positive I want the DCT - but I would definitely be leaning that way. In heavy traffic (my commute) it would be fantastic.

Not sure if you are talking about the 1190R or 1190S, but I wouldn't say the AT is more off-road focused than the 1190R (which is a more direct comparison).

Just a few tidbits:

* 1190S/R remembers your settings when you shut-off the bike (Mode/ABS/TC). The AT resets to road riding every time it's started up. Maybe honda will release a software update for that... but that would get old real fast.
* 1190R comes from the factory with very good crash bars. The AT comes from the factory with little to no protection.

At the end of the day they're all 500lb+ Adventure Bikes. I wonder how many people will buy the AT with the illusion of grandeur and expect to seriously tackle challenging terrain (i'm not talking gravel roads).

Disagree on this. GS with basic crash bars and barkbusters is actually very stout.... Where do you get the 2k figure from?

The AT is a nice bike but not on level with the 1190 or GS it is a good alternative to to F800Gs.

The 1190 and GS1200 are significantly more powerful and comfortable for touring etc.

The ATs better off road but so is the GS 800 or any other lighter Dual Sport.

Last edited:
Peeped this today. My thoughts are this is one seriously impressive machine!
13710613_1058467384243049_2575563251271061696_o.jpg

I would hate to be beaten about the head with that muffler.

Seems to be the norm with adventure bikes, I think the only one with a small muffler is the Ducati Multistradda Enduro, at least smaller then the ones you see on the GS, Super Tenere, Triumph XC and V-strom. I don't mind the look, though mine is pretty much always hidden behind the pannier.

Kawi Versys hides the exhaust underneath. Probably not the greatest for ground clearance, though. That's only on the 650. The 1000 has a big one on the side although it looks a bit smaller than some of the others mentioned here to me.

Back
Top Bottom