Primary address | GTAMotorcycle.com

Primary address

xfactor

Site Supporter
Does anyone have an idea if there are explicit wording to the primary address on the Ontario license. For those of us who may have two different "homes" in the sense during uni, I had a waterloo rental and my parent's address in Markham. So obviously I didn't change it. Now, I'm all over the world most of the year and when I am in Toronto I have a rental in downtown, but my mailing address is still my parents. So, is there a reason for me to change my address to the rental as long as they can still mail me and get in contact with my at the provided address in the license?

This is not an academic question, I got stopped few days ago (nothing big) and asked where I was coming from and told him my home (maybe mistake) to which he asked me where and it didn't match the address on the license. I told him that I have two homes and the "primary" according to my is still my parents as my rental is temporary. He gave me a ticket for not changing the address and told me to change it and go to court to get it dropped. Not really a big deal but I really don't see why I should as long as I can still be contacted and reached at the provided address. Any help or clarification is welcome.
thanks,
-x

Essentially, your primary address is the place where you are actually living, not an address of convenience.

Essentially, your primary address is the place where you are actually living, not an address of convenience.

Or at least living most of the time. Actually sort of surprised you (OP) didn't move your mailing address too for most things, assuming you will still be there for a while.

I haven't looked at the forms lately, but can you list your apartment as your address, and your parent's place as your mailing address?

Just for interest, insurance allows you to list different addresses for different vehicles. They care where each vehicle sleeps most of the time. I still have one car insured at my parents place as that is where it lives most of the time.

For the OP's situation, when you are renting accomodation, it is hard to argue that the place you are paying for and living in isn't your primary address.

Makes sense, but if all I'm doing is paying rent to maintain a house for my mistress in the city, then who's to say what's primary or not ;). I'll talk to the CA and see what they want me to do. Thanks for the input.

Or at least living most of the time. Actually sort of surprised you (OP) didn't move your mailing address too for most things, assuming you will still be there for a while.

Nah man, I travel a lot and most of my bills are sent to ePost and the rest that matters are sent to Mom's. So anything that does end up in the condo is probably of the useless nature.

Given that you have an address in the general geographical area, under your own name, I'm afraid that you are going to have an exceedingly difficult time convincing a JP that the other address is anything other than an address of convenience perhaps in order to avoid higher fees in Toronto, or obtain less expensive insurance. Both of those raise the spectre of much greater issues down the line. You already received the best advice, from the officer who wrote the ticket.

Does it work the same for a student since they are at University most of the time in another city, and only come back home for the summer?

Do they need to switch their address to where they live near University, or can they leave it at their parent's house?

Does it make a difference if they do/don't have a vehicle?

Does it work the same for a student since they are at University most of the time in another city, and only come back home for the summer?

Do they need to switch their address to where they live near University, or can they leave it at their parent's house?

Does it make a difference if they do/don't have a vehicle?

Do any of these apply in this situation?

Your drivers license is identification and should reflect the day to day realities of your existence. That isn't connected to a vehicle.

There are special considerations given to students as they essentially have TWO primary addresses.
There is little point in making them change their address a couple of times per year.
And there is no guarantee they will be living in the same place next year as this year.
Once you are no longer a student, these considerations end.
You are either living at home or you are on your own.

I should have been a little clearer about my parents place. Both properties are in my name. If I spend 6 months at my cottage and 6 months in my "city home", which is primary? I don't care to convince the JP or whatnot to avoid paying any penalty. That's not the spirit that I'm going for. I'm simply looking at it from an angle, where you own multiple properties across the city that you reside in from time to time.

If I can be reached at in the address that's on file, then what is the issue?

I should have been a little clearer about my parents place. Both properties are in my name. If I spend 6 months at my cottage and 6 months in my "city home", which is primary? I don't care to convince the JP or whatnot to avoid paying any penalty. That's not the spirit that I'm going for. I'm simply looking at it from an angle, where you own multiple properties across the city that you reside in from time to time. If I can be reached at in the address that's on file, then what is the issue?
Ask Mike Duffy, he might know by now.

The spirit of that law under HTA is all to do with proper identification under the HTA to protect everyone involved - re: accidents, suspended drivers; fail to remains, tickets, insurance, etc.. etc.. I'm sure the HTA was not written with summer cottages; mistresses, multiple properties, rental units and all pretty much uncommon scenarios in mind.

The cop gave the ticket, because you said you live in the rental and not at your parents. I'd love to know the tom-foolery with the law you're playing to consider it your 'parents' place yet it's under your name. That's your house with your parents living there. Why not just tell that to the cop. Makes you wonder. LOL. So, cops have heard all the BS excuses before (and not just related to change of address). Here's your ticket - let the court sort it out.

Ask Mike Duffy, he might know by now.

darn! beat me to the punch line!

The spirit of that law snip .. LOL the law is an ***.. legally,, you follow the law, not a spirit..

The cop gave the ticket, because you said you live in the rental and not at your parents. There was his mistake! go tell the judge what you meant to say.. I'd love to know the tom-foolery with the law you're playing to consider it your 'parents' place yet it's under your name. That's your house with your parents living there. Why not just tell that to the cop. Makes you wonder. LOL. So, cops have heard all the BS excuses before (and not just related to change of address). Here's your ticket - let the court sort it out.

Me,, I wouldn't change the address.. I love that my address is a Rural Route# ... it makes it hard for them to beat me home and wait in the driveway .... plus they don't know which way I am heading when "I didn't see them behind me with the lights on" ...

Back
Top Bottom