Received speeding ticket, paralegal recommendations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Received speeding ticket, paralegal recommendations?

Unless you can beat it, there's not much (short of reducing the fine a little) that can be done with a 20 over. The ticket will ultimately remain.

I guess the end decision is one of the following choices:

1/ Realize you're likely hosed, plead guilty and pay ticket.
2/ Realize you're likely hosed, see the prosecutor and ask for a reduced dollar amount on the fine, pay ticket.
3/ Decide to fight it in court yourself, take your chances, but (from the sounds of the situation) not a positive outcome, and pay full amount of ticket.
4/ Decide to fight it in court knowing something is not right with the ticket and win, but again, doesn't sound likely.
5/ Ask for a court date to drag out the conviction hoping (as per last reply) that it will help something else drop off your record in the meantime. You could also "time out" your ticket this way if the planets align, but the courts have been pretty good making sure this doesn't happen anymore. If nothing else, it delays things, but don't expect to get any break on your ticket $$ amount in the end going this way, if found guilty it's the full dollar value at that point since your chance to negotiate would have been offered long before in early resolution.
6/ Hire a paralegal, spend hundreds of dollars, probably just end up with reduced fine and the ticket not going away regardless, end up paying WAY more in the end vs having just pleading the ticket down yourself and paying it.

Ultimately, as others have mentioned, unless you're positive there's some method that a paralegal/lawyer/you are going to be able to take it to court and get it completely tossed out, it's probably a waste of time and money. If it was stunting or a more serious charge where even just a reduction or amendment of the ticket would make a massive difference I'd say it'd be worth the investment, but for a 20 over that's probably not going to go away in the end anyways...not so much.

This is just my $0.02. I'm not a lawyer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

What was the end result there? They didn't drop it to something smaller?

Oh it's a good one...

It was Guelph and I didn't want anymore hassle so after the crown basically brushed me off, I just went downstairs, paid it, and thought that was the end of it. Well how foolish a decision that ended up being....

Little background; 118 in an 80 (passing lanes on 6 North) in my car. License class at the time was GM2, ticket was 4 points. Turns out having an M2 downgraded my license to 'novice' status even while driving my car. Now for those in the know, back when they brought in the zero alcohol for novice classes, they also quietly slipped a few extras in like any single 4 point offense on a novice class = automatic 30 day suspension.. I unfortunately wasn't in the know....

So long story short, that simple ticket I paid with the "I'll take my lumps" mentality ended up costing me my license for 30 days; I'll never, ever, EVER not fight a ticket again.. fawk them. Got a 10 over last year, paid out the *** with the understanding that it needed to go away; paralegal made sure it did... With 2 bikes and a car insured atm it pays for itself.

You can't unscramble an egg. Does a conviction mean a suspension or just a bunch more demerit points?

If you delay this conviction do any other convictions drop off the chart and make the scene more tolerable? Not sure if it works that way.
Unfortunately if I delay this conviction I'd still have to wait ~1.5 years for the first conviction to drop off, and I'd likely have to get insured through facility until the first one drops off :(

Oh it's a good one...

It was Guelph and I didn't want anymore hassle so after the crown basically brushed me off, I just went downstairs, paid it, and thought that was the end of it. Well how foolish a decision that ended up being....

Little background; 118 in an 80 (passing lanes on 6 North) in my car. License class at the time was GM2, ticket was 4 points. Turns out having an M2 downgraded my license to 'novice' status even while driving my car. Now for those in the know, back when they brought in the zero alcohol for novice classes, they also quietly slipped a few extras in like any single 4 point offense on a novice class = automatic 30 day suspension.. I unfortunately wasn't in the know....

So long story short, that simple ticket I paid with the "I'll take my lumps" mentality ended up costing me my license for 30 days; I'll never, ever, EVER not fight a ticket again.. fawk them. Got a 10 over last year, paid out the *** with the understanding that it needed to go away; paralegal made sure it did... With 2 bikes and a car insured atm it pays for itself.
The paralegal beat it? Who did you use?

The paralegal beat it? Who did you use?

http://tcslegalservices.com/ in Burlington.. First and only time I've used them, but that's where I got the ticket.. FWIW, it's been suggested to me by an acquaintance, who happens to be a Justice of the Peace, that using someone local to the offence with good reviews will yield the best results, as they will have some level of rapport with the crown in their home jurisdiction.

Edit: Paralegal's will increase the fee the further they have to travel, so two reasons to find someone local; google reviews are your friend

Last edited:
http://tcslegalservices.com/ in Burlington.. First and only time I've used them, but that's where I got the ticket.. FWIW, it's been suggested to me by an acquaintance, who happens to be a Justice of the Peace, that using someone local to the offence with good reviews will yield the best results, as they will have some level of rapport with the crown in their home jurisdiction.

Edit: Paralegal's will increase the fee the further they have to travel, so two reasons to find someone local; google reviews are your friend

Thanks for the info, I'll likely go with sometime in Toronto

I'm torn between mavericks legal and the newer redline legal that got great reviews many years ago

Thanks for the info, I'll likely go with sometime in Toronto

I'm torn between mavericks legal and the newer redline legal that got great reviews many years ago

Can't speak to either of them, but maybe someone else has experience they can share? Anyway good luck!

Can't speak to either of them, but maybe someone else has experience they can share? Anyway good luck!

Thanks dude! It seems like many people have used redline here in the past, hopefully someone has recent experience with them

I'll give you guys an update when I have one!

OP Good luck with this ticket. You said other convictions won't drop off your record for about 1.5 years. How many tickets have you racked up, and over what time frame? Depending upon the charges and the frequency, it "may" be time to reflect and reconsider your driving/riding style before it catches up to you in a bad way.

OP Good luck with this ticket. You said other convictions won't drop off your record for about 1.5 years. How many tickets have you racked up, and over what time frame? Depending upon the charges and the frequency, it "may" be time to reflect and reconsider your driving/riding style before it catches up to you in a bad way.

I was waiting for someone to mention the elephant in the room and the point is made.

However if the OP suddenly developed a halo over his head proving that he had become an angel that would never err again is there any way of improving his situation? Money didn't help Marco Muzzo.

On one occasion as in he didnt do so well another time? Or it was the only time you used him? If you done mind me asking, how long ago did you use him?

I dealt with Forch while he still worked with Redline (went independent now). It was just that one time for me back in 2011-2012... Also helped a buddy of mine - careless was gone back in 2014 iirc. Never had a bad experience with him.

I was waiting for someone to mention the elephant in the room and the point is made.

However if the OP suddenly developed a halo over his head proving that he had become an angel that would never err again is there any way of improving his situation? Money didn't help Marco Muzzo.

Yeah, cuz what is presumably a handful of speeding tickets is totally comparable to wiping out an entire family while completely inebriated :rolleyes: geezzz

Yeah, cuz what is presumably a handful of speeding tickets is totally comparable to wiping out an entire family while completely inebriated :rolleyes: geezzz

Let me put it a different way. If you murder a person on a streetcar you can manipulate the system for years to avoid or defer the penalties. Are there a similar escape clauses in traffic law?

The money comment was meant as a sign of respect to our court system in that one can't slip the judge / magistrate a few bucks to have things erased. I doubt that pardons can be purchased.

As Hedo has pointed out the OP is not blameless but we don't know if there are extenuating circumstances that he or another person with a similar record faced or is facing. We can muse through this to see if there are options for the situation or we can post emoticons.

Let me put it a different way. If you murder a person on a streetcar you can manipulate the system for years to avoid or defer the penalties. Are there a similar escape clauses in traffic law?

The money comment was meant as a sign of respect to our court system in that one can't slip the judge / magistrate a few bucks to have things erased. I doubt that pardons can be purchased.

As Hedo has pointed out the OP is not blameless but we don't know if there are extenuating circumstances that he or another person with a similar record faced or is facing. We can muse through this to see if there are options for the situation or we can post emoticons.

He asked for advice on legal counsel, not a moral compass calibration; emoticon objection withdrawn?

touche... and reading back, I admittedly, misinterpreted your point. Anyway, got a paralegal recommendations for the OP?

Sorry to be pessimistic but if he's got enough money to hire Muzzo's lawyer he can afford a chauffeur or pay huge insurance.

I don't know the OP and can't say whether or not there were circumstances or just bad timing / luck.

While most speeding tickets are justified one could get a call that a family member is sick and speed to the hospital. Distracted they could get an unsafe turn charge leaving the hospital. Then they hit a third bump in the ticket road. That person isn't a menace to society but the court looks primarily at the legality of the charge and it's valid.

If the family member is a bread winner and the driver's insurance goes out of site there are serious consequences beyond the fine. Give me time and I can make this into WW III. The point is, are there any amnesty, pardon, leniency options for a genuine repentant soul? It would have to be dismissal of charges due to insurance.

BTW I was going to make a negative comment about Hamilton but the place rocks. I get a chuckle when people post about doing the "Forks" and I think "Good. It leaves more room for me in the Hammer." Too many people are moving there from TO so enjoy it while you can.

Last edited:
Sorry to be pessimistic but if he's got enough money to hire Muzzo's lawyer he can afford a chauffeur or pay huge insurance.

I don't know the OP and can't say whether or not there were circumstances or just bad timing / luck.

While most speeding tickets are justified one could get a call that a family member is sick and speed to the hospital. Distracted they could get an unsafe turn charge leaving the hospital. Then they hit a third bump in the ticket road. That person isn't a menace to society but the court looks primarily at the legality of the charge and it's valid.

If the family member is a bread winner and the driver's insurance goes out of site there are serious consequences beyond the fine. Give me time and I can make this into WW III. The point is, are there any amnesty, pardon, leniency options for a genuine repentant soul? It would have to be dismissal of charges due to insurance.

BTW I was going to make a negative comment about Hamilton but the place rocks. I get a chuckle when people post about doing the "Forks" and I think "Good. It leaves more room for me in the Hammer." Too many people are moving there from TO so enjoy it while you can.

Truer words are rarely spoken... I'll be on the move once my home appreciates just a wee bit more. Very close to being able to live mortgage free in the Niagara region ;)

The idea is that once you get the first ticket, you change your driving habits so that you don't get another until well after the first lapses.

As for Hamilton, of course it is simply the best riding in all of Ontario,
and absolutely everyone should flock there to ride via the Forks. :D

The idea is that once you get the first ticket, you change your driving habits so that you don't get another until well after the first lapses.

As for Hamilton, of course it is simply the best riding in all of Ontario,
and absolutely everyone should flock there to ride via the Forks. :D

I was looking for hope for the one case in a thousand (Or more) that may have deserved a break.

Keep quiet about Hamilton. Think about how pleasant the Forks area would be if we were the only two that knew about it.

Back
Top Bottom