RACE round #2 June 10-12 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RACE round #2 June 10-12

Outstanding weekend of racing with plenty of good action in many classes. Some new faces made it out which is very encouraging to see.

Yeah, it was a good one overall but it sure didn't work out for me.

On Friday I made a big mistake probably due to a combination of things, but the primary one was brain fade. I added some additional speed to get around a couple of bikes holding me up in corner one, went to use the front brake to set the front end and instead somehow grabbed enough brake to instantly drop the forks and yank the rear wheel off the deck. This at a speed of @#$%-knows-what threw me off the left hand side of the bike as it violently flung itself into the air and I went so far that I was almost at the back corner of the property. I got up, looked at the bike and fairings all over the place, a large bike-sized hole in the grass, and sat back down again for a minute, feeling out-of-breath and in a light state of shock. As it turns out I was not really badly injured though both hands are a bit swollen and ache to use - but no breaks. I have bruises on my back and left leg, and had to throw my Shoei Beacon helmet in the trash with Doc Walker helping me to cut the straps.

One factor is that several people had monkeyed with the brake bias, I saw them doing it in the pit when I said that the brakes needed bleeding and they "tested" the brake lever. I remembered this and tested the brakes going out - there was slightly more bias than I like but I didn't think it was out of range as I worked the lever in the pit lane. Combine this with brain fade and ... moral of this story is defend your bike setup even if you have designated "helpers" in your pit.

So that sucked. I have three tanks and wheels coming - it was a package deal - for a very good price (well less than the price of a new tank alone). Have a rad already, and a subframe, so the bike should be back together by this weekend if all is well.

FML, though.

I came back and practiced Saturday and Sunday, riding John Taverner's GSX-R 1000. Really struggled with the bike and John was sceptical of some of my requests. Lucky for me, Jim Proulx offered to ride the bike and requested almost all the same things I did. We were able to get within about 8/10ths of our mutual requests and on Sunday's race I started out in 2nd and actually reeled Mike Hood in about 10 feet on the third lap, leaving most of the field a comfortable distance behind. Then, the engine burped on corner two - from next to no power to a full 200hp++ in about a second total, and had me out of the seat a good foot... if I had not been able to retain my light grip on the bars and/or my right foot on the peg, it would have been a 10,000 RPM in 3rd gear highside... that was unnerving enough, but on the next lap, the bike sounded like it had run out of fuel or had dropped a valve going through corner 1 - which was the same as earlier in the day when I assumed I had run out of fuel by uncovering the fuel pump pickup - there seemed like enough fuel in the tank, but it was the easy diagnosis. Well, now we had slightly more than half a tank in the beast and it was doing it... I pulled up to the Marshal, shut off the motor and he asked me what was wrong... I told him the engine died, and then said I might be able to make it to the pits... I fired up the bike and it was as if nothing had happened. So I rejoined the track and pushed for a minute before realising that I was never going to catch the group again, so I cruised to finish the race. And EVERY. SINGLE. LAP. after that the bike would shut itself mostly off when I bent it over into corner 1 at or near race pace. On the 7th lap, I tried it at a lower pace and the bike did not lose power until the other side of corner two, where it had burped and nearly spat me off - but it still did it. So, this problem shows up after 3 days of practice and ruins my race which was almost certainly a second placing and possibly better as I was holding and sometimes gaining on Mike after the first lap where he cleared some space. It wasn't to be.

FML #2.

But hey, Jeff Williams did really well and my battery was in his bike. That's worth something, right? :/

Some pics from our team:

20160613230917-dff0744a-la.jpg

20160613230728-3455f442-la.jpg

20160613230746-ffd93e6e-la.jpg

20160613230706-5dfddc07-la.jpg

Oh, and Mike Hood was on fire... I don't really think I could have caught him but I would have liked the chance. :(

Last edited:
A few more select pictures from Facebook. Photographers should be noted in the images. Where not, Ken Owtrim, Heather Bashow, Rob McLelland and Don Empey were all taking photos.

20160613230929-928e73cc-la.jpg

Mike Leon and Jim Proulx really battling it out

20160613230856-b4df8dec-la.jpg

JP brought his XR

20160613230835-2866824d-la.jpg

Stacey Nesbitt looked in great form, despite her comments to the contrary

20160613230754-e3ddcc10-la.jpg

At least you made it there

Also about your brakes, you made it a whole lap with them after someone had fiddled with them so you knew what was up. I fiddle with mine mid race. You just grabbed too much, it happens, own it. Sucks about the crashing and the bike issues but as they say, "that's racing" and at least you didn't get hurt.

Also about your brakes, you made it a whole lap with them after someone had fiddled with them so you knew what was up. I fiddle with mine mid race. You just grabbed too much, it happens, own it. Sucks about the crashing and the bike issues but as they say, "that's racing" and at least you didn't get hurt.

No fear of that, I own it. Brakes don't use themselves.

Having the engine on the floor doesn't look like a good turn of events...

Last edited:
Was wondering when i saw a 1:08 from #100 what you had eaten the night before ;)

No fear of that, I own it. Brakes don't use themselves.

Having the engine on the floor doesn't look like a good turn of events...

Valves are worn out. Thankfully I caught it before they failed and caused major damage.

Was wondering when i saw a 1:08 from #100 what you had eaten the night before ;)

Potato chips, silly question.

I should have kept you wondering... lol

BTW the main issue with the bike? It was adjusted 2mm trail OUT from stock. So, around 108mm. No wonder we couldn't get the bike to turn in worth a @#$% all weekend. I'd come back in bathed in sweat in that freezing wind, and couldn't break the 1:11s. We flipped the collar and got it *far* better but it really needs to be brought in to race specs, which we'll be close to with another collar set he currently has.

Will allow us to take some preload out of the rear and get better acceleration out of corners, which is the second issue.

Last edited:

Where did you see a 1:08?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a relatively successful weekend.

Running at almost 2.5 seconds a lap off from what he ran 2 weeks ago in warmer weather he managed to win both the qualifying and finish races in 300 Production and Lightweight Production.

Competed in BOTT Lightweight on his SV650 and AM600 on his R6. The comfort with the SV showed as he continued to turn faster laps on his SV than the R6. Finished 3rd in BOTT after a late push for 2nd place. The AM600 qualifying and race were to get his feet wet and he ran well despite having to take the Fabi runoff once.

A last minute entry in Lightweight SB netted a pole position for the Sunday race but the Sunday pace was far less in the cold and he finished a distant 2nd. This weekend was his first time to ride the Ninja 600 and despite being well of 2015 times managed a 3rd in Masters Middleweight and a 6th in OBC.

All in all a fun weekend with no mishaps.

Ah ok then. I was looking in the race results. Damn still tho! 1:08 for mr. Cole not bad;)

I'm going to guess that was when Jim was riding the bike seeing as how it was in the pro 600 session.

I'm going to guess that was when Jim was riding the bike seeing as how it was in the pro 600 session.

Lol ya that makes sense.

Outstanding weekend of racing with plenty of good action in many classes. Some new faces made it out which is very encouraging to see.

And lots of new racers doing very well experiencing the sport in the lightweight classes. Yes there were some mishaps and mistakes but what I concluded from them all was that the learning process was not too painful so that they will be back.

I'll be there (300 prod) despite the horrendous gallbladder attack I had on tuesday night. According to Oshawa general, it was all in my head. duh

Get it removed asap Steve.
DOOOOOOOO ITTTTTT - Go to the Stoufville/Markham hospital, those guys will fix you good.

Seriously, getting mine removed as fast as I did was the best thing I could have done.

DOOOOOOOO ITTTTTT - Go to the Stoufville/Markham hospital, those guys will fix you good.

Seriously, getting mine removed as fast as I did was the best thing I could have done.

Easiest surgery I ever had, you'll feel and look a hell of a lot better as well.

I had a great time despite the cold windy weather. First races because round one Sunday was cancelled. Looking forward to round 3, hopefully even more people show up.

Back
Top Bottom