2 bikes. Can only ride one. Both need to be insured | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 bikes. Can only ride one. Both need to be insured

slowbird

I'm in the process of selling one of my VFR's and I called my insurance company to switch the policy to the "new" bike and keep only Fire/Theft on the other.

Long story short they don't do that. :mad: Pretty ridiculous that I need to insure both bikes with at the the very least Fire/Theft and Liability even though only one will be plated and ridden.

How much does another plate and sticker cost? probably not worth keeping them both plated and riding both of them.

Bloody insurance. What a waste of $$

Last edited:
If the plate is getting transferred to the other vfr, they can't make you keep liability on it. It'll be fit, but unplated.

I have three bikes in my shed. Only one is on the road at a time. I don't bother with fire and theft though.

If the plate is getting transferred to the other vfr, they can't make you keep liability on it. It'll be fit, but unplated.

The insurance company basically said I had 2 options. Drop all insurance from the VFR I am selling....or Fire, Theft and Liability. Nothing inbetween.

Well I need to sell the other VFR and if someone were to steal it from my garage I'd be out a pretty penny so It's not worth the risk to not have it insured.

Is the unplated one not covered under your house insurance once it is taken off the road?

no it's a vehicle. If it was parts....maybe it would be covered. You could just plate and sticker both and swap the ins. back and forth....if you weren't concerned of the un-insured one getting stolen.

What ins company is this?

I assume Slowbird and I have the same company, Intact. Got the same answer when I wanted to put fire and theft on my FZ1.

Slowbird, at least you're not paying full insurance on three bikes...

I asked the same question a couple of years ago. Shame as I would like to own 2 bikes, but with the way insurance is...no way...

I have three bikes in my shed. Only one is on the road at a time. I don't bother with fire and theft though.

Matt are u saying you only have one plate? I called Allstate band said I wanted to keep 2 bikes on the road and take one off for the season and they said I cannot do that..

Ask if they'll "suspend" coverage instead. It's been my experience that this works better than trying to minimize coverage, although perhaps they're the same thing and there's some reason they won't let you do it on a bike?

Before I sold my dually pickup truck I used to suspend the insurance on it every winter since I didn't pull our horse trailer in the winter months and the truck served no purpose as a result. While suspended the liability portion was removed, but the fire/theft/vandalism remained intact (and only cost a few dollars every month), and in the spring it was just a quick phone call to reinstate things.

State Farm could do this before on bikes, but now don't. Been looking for a company that can so that I can cover my track bike.

Welcome to the scam boys and girls.

SF is now owned by Dejardin/Certas and they do not allow fire and theft alone.
It's full coverage or nothing.
They know it's your toy and you will pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom