Transition Visors | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transition Visors

Call me crazy though, but a lot of the time I ride with not only my dark smoke visor, but also a pair of clip-on (well, magnetic) sunglasses on top of my prescription glasses. To me even the dark smoke isn't really dark enough, but both together works very well for a sunny mid-day ride, or when riding into the setting/rising sun.

Agreed. There are times when even a dark smoke visor is not adequate for me. My wife and a number of friends I ride with wear sunglasses under their dark smoke visors.

Agreed. There are times when even a dark smoke visor is not adequate for me. My wife and a number of friends I ride with wear sunglasses under their dark smoke visors.
Clear color eyes?

I find that in general people with darker eye color have less issues with sun/glare

i have hazel eyes but every time i step into the light there is a huge burning sensation - they never adjust so i tend to stay in the shadows and look down mostly ... the transition is a god given gift to all (wo)man kind - hell even the florescent lit hurts my eyes

on a side note i wear glasses as well which are also transition - so 2 transition lenses when i ride - yey!!!!

Clear color eyes?

I find that in general people with darker eye color have less issues with sun/glare

Dark brown eyes so not in my case.

on a side note i wear glasses as well which are also transition - so 2 transition lenses when i ride - yey!!!!

Do the glasses tint inside the helmet though? I was under the impression (and the fact I don't look like a raccoon in the summer), that quality visors blocked 99% UVA/UVB, which is what causes transitions to work.

Visor tints the most. Glasses just a smidge since you do not have a 100% uv block. Overall in my case I welcome the extra tinting layer but if you wear contact lenses you should still be fine.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Clear color eyes?

I have darker eyes, my wife very fair. My riding friends, a mix. Three of my buddies wear a transition visor. Two have a Bell Qualifier DLX, one has a Shoei RF1200. All three have mentioned they love their visors, but hate that they don't get dark enough. As a result, two of the three guys regularly wears sunglasses under their transition visor.

Clear color eyes?

Some truth in that, have blue eyes and very sensitive to bright lights and sun. Have no issues with the transition visor not being dark enough.

Often ride with sunglasses under tinted face shield (electrical tape along top) and at some times of the day even that's not enough. Morning and evenings mainly when the sun pokes your eyes no matter what. No transitions for HJCs yet. Sunglasses> tinted drop-down visor> transitions face shield would be the ultimate combination.

I have darker eyes, my wife very fair. My riding friends, a mix. Three of my buddies wear a transition visor. Two have a Bell Qualifier DLX, one has a Shoei RF1200. All three have mentioned they love their visors, but hate that they don't get dark enough. As a result, two of the three guys regularly wears sunglasses under their transition visor.

Before the transitions, did they have a smoke shield and still wear sunglasses? Still trying to find out if the tint on the transitions is close to the same as a dark smoke would be.

Also, thought about getting this for the current helmet but never did as I don't ride much at sun set or sun rise. If I did though, I'd definitely be tempted.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/sunax-sunshield/

Before the transitions, did they have a smoke shield and still wear sunglasses? Still trying to find out if the tint on the transitions is close to the same as a dark smoke would be.

Also, thought about getting this for the current helmet but never did as I don't ride much at sun set or sun rise. If I did though, I'd definitely be tempted.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/sunax-sunshield/

No. Before they had Transition visors, on dark smoke visors, they found them dark enough. They started wearing sunglasses under their Transition visor specifically because they all reported back that the Transition visors were about 85% as dark as their dark smoke visor.

That Sunax product is interesting. But honestly, I just wish there was a Transition visor that could actually get as dark as many people want it to. Not sure if it's a technology limitation or legal/litigious one.

So after much debate I finally decide to go check out the Bell Qualifier DLX at Royal Distributing. Well the fit was great but sadly there was no way to put my glasses on, so I was sad. Until I saw the Shark Skwal, wow talk about some good value for the money. Comes with
- a Pinlock visor
- sun shield,
- breath guard
- chin skirt
- cut away's for glasses
- cut away's for a communicator.
Also has some built in LED lights, while I thought they were kind of a gimmick at first they are well made into the helmet and look like a few green lines when off. All and all I really think I found some good value. Took a small ride with it and I am really impressed at how quiet it is, just some slight wind noise, the visor is think and closes very tight, I felt as if I was wearing ear plugs. so sadly no transition visor but I found the next best thing for my old man specs...LOL

Revzilla Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vid3Ny3vTeY

Ok, I have one major gripe. Was doing a dry fit of my G9 into the helmet and it's not the best fit at the clamp due to design but will work. But OMG trying to get the liner back in took me almost a hour of fiddling and pulling and pushing, the included snaps while nice are in some really akward places. After finally getting it all back together I think I'll stay communicator free.

Last edited:
I have a Shoei Rf1200 with tranisition lens - it's amazing.

Major upgrade from my old 1000 with tinted lens.

So after much debate I finally decide to go check out the Bell Qualifier DLX at Royal Distributing. Well the fit was great but sadly there was no way to put my glasses on, so I was sad. Until I saw the Shark Skwal, wow talk about some good value for the money. Comes with
- a Pinlock visor
- sun shield,
- breath guard
- chin skirt
- cut away's for glasses
- cut away's for a communicator.
Also has some built in LED lights, while I thought they were kind of a gimmick at first they are well made into the helmet and look like a few green lines when off. All and all I really think I found some good value. Took a small ride with it and I am really impressed at how quiet it is, just some slight wind noise, the visor is think and closes very tight, I felt as if I was wearing ear plugs. so sadly no transition visor but I found the next best thing for my old man specs...LOL

Revzilla Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vid3Ny3vTeY

Ok, I have one major gripe. Was doing a dry fit of my G9 into the helmet and it's not the best fit at the clamp due to design but will work. But OMG trying to get the liner back in took me almost a hour of fiddling and pulling and pushing, the included snaps while nice are in some really akward places. After finally getting it all back together I think I'll stay communicator free.

Just realized you started this thread asking for advice on Transition visors, seemed pretty adamant it was what you wanted, and then got a helmet that doesn't offer a Transition visor. :laughing6:

Just realized you started this thread asking for advice on Transition visors, seemed pretty adamant it was what you wanted, and then got a helmet that doesn't offer a Transition visor. :laughing6:

You best read it again, I wanted the BELL Qualifier DLX which comes with a transition visor. Then after trying it on it does not work with glasses. Which forced me to look at other helmets in Royal Distributing (which I linked in my first post) that is when I found the shark which has a built in sun visor and a clear shield ( but you can get a transition shield as well ) I need a helmet I can ride both in daylight and at night with my glasses on.

I found it, but still does not take away my interest in transition visors and the fact that it took you this long to realize what the post was actually about is a little concerning.. :agave:

Back
Top Bottom