Where are the beat-to-hell dual sports? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where are the beat-to-hell dual sports?

drumstyx

It's super easy to find a junky mid-80's UJM, 750's are outrageously common and very cheap. So given all the abuse you'd expect a dual sport/adventure bike to go through, where are the cheap junky ones?

I don't want to spend big bucks on a pretty well kept machine, only to take it seriously through the dirt and it be worth next to nothing...

KLR comes to mind. Not something I would intentionally take "seriously through the dirt" though.

Probably a lot of the bikes you are looking for are in garages/left at the cabin etc. At this point, you can't sell if for much so the original owner just keeps it for an occasional ride. Being off-road capable, they are probably unplated and uninsured. Street bikes have a much higher carrying cost if you want to use them so they get evicted more often.

i'm sure i saw a 1988 KLR650 on kijiji last week. can't find it now. they can be had for cheap, and it is said that they'll last forever...i suppose the best deals show up during the off-season

Don't see too many beat to hell, street legal dualsports really. The guys I ride with, although we all beat the ***** out of our bikes, maintain them pretty well. Maybe try finding a non-street legal dirt bike, if you really want to not care about something. Easy to find something in a 250, that's beat up, for cheap.

...they are on the side of a trail left to rust after failing on their owner that hasn't maintained them.
My off-road bike gets many more hours of 'love', cleaning and service than my 2x as expensive road bike (even if i hate doing it) - mainly because CAA does not go down cliffs to extract 300bs of junk on an account of poor maintenance-related failures....

Just snagged a '99 KLR650 for $1500 w/37,000kms and no issues. $1800 on the road and plated. So there are deals to be had, though not ideal for a straight trail bike - I had a blast with it this first week of ownership - 750kms later.

Just snagged a '99 KLR650 for $1500 w/37,000kms and no issues. $1800 on the road and plated. So there are deals to be had, though not ideal for a straight trail bike - I had a blast with it this first week of ownership - 750kms later.

That's a number I'd like. I found one listed for $1500, but by the time I responded only 2 days later, it was gone.

An ok KLR for $1500 wont last long on a sale site. Anything that can be certified and runs is a $2000.00 bike all day. You have to search far and wide and pull the trigger the moment they post this time of year.

An ok KLR for $1500 wont last long on a sale site. Anything that can be certified and runs is a $2000.00 bike all day. You have to search far and wide and pull the trigger the moment they post this time of year.

Yah I looked forever - had the luxury of time since this was a second bike/if i get a deal kinda purchase. Saw this posted one afternoon and the ad had been put up that morning - went to see it after work same day and made a deal - ad was up for less than 12 hours probably.

Back
Top Bottom