Vacation time | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vacation time

Yeah I don't have a issue with the seam....just ordered a pair...should be in next week. Reallllly did not want to pull the Tusk guards off. Very nice company to deal with. Will ship out today to our US address.
Beyond that the Wee has a clean bill of health and 3/4" lower plus engine sliders on so ready to head north then east weather permitting. Still chilly at night there but nice day time.
Having hijacked the thread :D....how's our traveller doing??

Last edited:
Yeah I don't have a issue with the seam....just ordered a pair...should be in next week. Reallllly did not want to pull the Tusk guards off. Very nice company to deal with. Will ship out today to our US address.
Beyond that the Wee has a clean bill of health and 3/4" lower plus engine sliders on so ready to head north then east weather permitting. Still chilly at night there but nice day time.
Having hijacked the thread :D....how's our traveller doing??

yep..I'm going to get myself some too. Anyone want to buy some grip puppies BNIB? Ha ha.

Day 3, Thursday June 9. Dryden, Ontario to Virden, Manitoba. 14° under clear skies. There are so many lakes along the Trans Canada on the way to Kenora. Most are pristine, unspoiled by cottages and power boats. I've noticed a distinct lack of road kill. In southern Ontario, the roads are littered with dead squirrels, skunks, and raccoons. Splattered deer are a common sight on the highways of New York and Pennsylvania. Yet nothing on the Trans Canada. It's amazing how quickly the landscape changes once into Manitoba; suddenly, everything is flat. It looks as if farm implements and heavy equipment are a good gig here. Stopped for fuel in Brandon. It was hot, hot! 31°C. Quite a contrast from yesterday. I was pushing on to Saskatchewan, but quite suddenly the western sky became ominously black. I pulled off, donned the rain gear, and carried on. I passed Virden, thunder and lightning in the distance. I made the choice to turn back. And I never turn back. Just as I checked into The Flea Bag Inn, torrential rain came. Disappointing, as I had really wanted to tent it tonight. At least I don't have to wash the bugs off the bike. There's little of interest in Manitoba, as seen from the Trans Canada, so not many photos today. 662km.

The Tiger continues to perform like a good soldier, never skipping a beat. Very happy with my choice.

cf56026060b79a962c0694220d1b0e9d.jpg

ea10fe5aadfa94169bd3521fff160b8a.jpg

9b816b60782ac53fbc4efa53831844f9.jpg

A fork in the road. I chose to head towards Regina.

cba274bda2abe41174fba9c92df3b357.jpg

Pounding rain! My motel neighbours are from Alabama, riding to...Alaska.

via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Vacation is good for you, already losing track of time. High five.

I remember that transition coming into Manitoba very clearly myself as well. Winding and rocky roads all through northern Ontario, seems like it took forever to get out of the province, and then all of sudden, you go around a corner and...blammo, flat.

MB and SK were blurs for us, we expedited across both except for a few roadside touristy type things we happened upon, but we wanted to get out west. It gets interesting around Calgary again.

Yep, I plan to slow down once into Alberta.

via Tapatalk

Super stable on gravel too ....really enjoyed having them on the Wee....could ride off the end of the pavement on to dirt or gravel...no squirming...just tracked along where I pointed them. Will be invaluable in the construction zones on the AlCan and sections of Top of the World which can be really slippery if you are going that way.

untitled-2-L.jpg

Mind the border crossing times there as well....
http://myitchytravelfeet.com/2013/09/20/top-of-the-world-highway/

Friday, June 10 Virden, Manitoba to Brooks, Alberta. 861km.The day began sunny and bright, 18°; I expected a scorcher, so geared up lightly. The big heat never came. In fact, I had to add a layer around lunch time. No problem though, I was entirely comfortable for the rest of the day. Not a particularly exciting ride. Arrow straight, 75mph the whole way. I kept myself busy calculating the value of Pi. I'm used to riding on the 401, where traffic is so heavy, of course. Turbulent air is everywhere; you don't know where it's coming from. Not so on the Trans Canada. The turbulence from the 53' tractor trailers is enormous. It can be felt from 150' back, tossing the bike all over like a toy. Best to quickly pass. I had last filled up in Brandon, Manitoba the previous day, and was determined to stretch it to Regina. I figured if I ran out, help wouldn't be far on the TC. I rolled into Regina on fumes, and quite pleased. I also picked up an extra hour; Saskatchewan, curiously, does not use daylight savings time, so their time is the same as the mountain time zone, which is DST. Make sense? Of course, I'll have to give these hours back on the way home. The Honda dealer in Swift Current, SK. was having a demo day. The Africa Twin looked good to me, but it was booked, and I didn't have time, anyway. I know economic times are tough in Alberta, but they actually charge for road maps at the welcome centre. Two bucks! GPS is okay, I suppose, but I prefer old fashioned paper. Critter count: three deer, two of which weren't looking so good, if you know what I mean. I feel out of touch these past few days, missing important world events. Have the capybaras been found yet?

Today's tip: if you're looking for an inexpensive throttle lock, try the Go Cruise. Simple, effective, and only twenty bucks. It been invaluable crossing the prairies. As Ron Popeil would say: "Set it and forget it!". If you're too cheap to cough up the dough, you can make one out of coat hanger wire.

a2824ec5d862c408eb045223e87996e9.jpg

928a8266d5fe5e128cf2a577a28d7a5f.jpg

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

8913442b992dd07feec8b5ea7be76c8a.jpg

46e0d3ed3821659a438223d219ef525b.jpg

Snowbird!

f2e6bdaa173f24e00675edf36403c52c.jpg

f655f9155d1d8e8637d2d94cb0dfba06.jpg

via Tapatalk

Last edited:
More Friday photos:

ae6c4b75ee4f9a3d714c154eba931fe9.jpg

A typical scene along the Trans Canada in Saskatchewan.

4c5c1a511f9da8cc84841140092bc4e7.jpg

d79340e0c6a64ac56680981c0c174cd2.jpg

0d6705687659b44da7032bedf7eb75df.jpg

Nothing. For as fas as the eye can see.
cf50d9254771606097f12d7ac6968a02.jpg

A nice fellow travelling from Nova Scotia took my photo upon entering Alberta.

via Tapatalk

Still more:

50132557f2ed0ec364a4bec15ffccecc.jpg

The world's largest teepee, Medicine Hat, Alberta.
cd2bbd34655101833eaa3b17cd71c5f4.jpg

7a3619d6d3a29561d1a57ad1459bec85.jpg

5988ea62158f7fb1c05922b4877eab4c.jpg

Am I partially responsible for the decline of the bees?
24a1e1e389c1cc10fe87975df1f65429.jpg

Naked Tiger. Looks great, doesn't it?
91b296eed7e337937e7bf5ddbf37c06b.jpg

Time to call it a day.?

via Tapatalk

Sunny skies and not too hot. Nice.
I switched to a Go Cruise after initially not liking them as would not hold - but grips well on the Oxford grip...works - cheap.
No audio books for you??
Best thing for long boring stretches.

No audio books for you??Best thing for long boring stretches.

No, none of that. No music, nothing. Even the GPS has spent the trip locked away. I have a little radio in my head. It plays any song I want, anytime.

via Tapatalk

Value of pie lol, a little dig @ MacDoc?

Good pics! Keep it coming.

Hey @Jayell I think that headphones and such have a place, but imo if it was my 5 week trek, I too would choose the music in my head.I can just imagine being out on that road, no distractions. Your mind/ head must be so clear right now. Enjoy brother, and I'm still jealous.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

No, none of that. No music, nothing. Even the GPS has spent the trip locked away. I have a little radio in my head. It plays any song I want, anytime.

via Tapatalk

Nice!
That's how I ride too.
Tried ear buds with music a few times. Just felt weird (and I'm a musician!)

Ride Safe!

Rob

Back
Top Bottom