Indepedent instructor / bike rental insurance status | GTAMotorcycle.com

Indepedent instructor / bike rental insurance status

They may have valid insurance, but I'd make sure beforehand.

The CRWU days are insured through Honda's fleet services. They basically tell insurance there is a demo (s) , stipulations are set (gear, grad licencing etc).

It's not illegal to lend your bike out, insurance covers vehicle. If you are commercially using your vehicle (like trainer above) then insurance need to know as validity (what exactly have you paid for - personal or public use for example) could come into play

Honda will have a commercial policy to cover you. I would expect that you would be correct about the kijiji guy, the prices are too low to include the horrendous commercial insurance prices.

If you have an automobile policy (auto or motorbike), then any personal injury you may experience would be covered under _your_ policy. I suspect liability for damages to other property would also fall to your policy.

Any damages to the 'rental' bike would be covered by the owner's policy. Like GreyGhost, I suspect that that the renter/owner/instructor has a personal policy on those bikes and is not planning to make any claims. If so, would be some trouble if you are not covered by your own policy (you don't own a bike or car, or are not listed on your parent's auto policy) and you were to get hurt.

If he is operating some type of motorcycle training course, he requires commercial insurance, if he can't provide you some type of commercial policy insurance, walk away.

It's not illegal to lend your bike out, insurance covers vehicle.

A search for "insurance / vehicle lending" seems to support your statement.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/archive/index.php/t-138625.html?

Does your policy specifically detail "lending" (or is that documented in some insurance legislation / regulations somewhere ?

I.e. where does the "line fall" between an occasional / one time lending and an occasional or primary driver / rider ?

OAP 1: Ontario Automobile Policy Owner's Policy
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/...Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1215E.2.pdf
​The Ontario Automobile Policy (OAP 1) sets out the rights and obligations of insured persons and insurance companies related to automobile insurance coverages, and the terms and conditions of those coverages.

OAF 1: Ontario Application for Automobile Insurance Owner's Form
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/...Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1213E.5.pdf

OAF1 contains an 'automobile use' section (pleasure, commute, business, farm, commercial)

OAP1 says:

"You must promptly tell us [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]of any change in information supplied in your original application for insurance, such as additional drivers, or a change in the way a described automobile is used. "[/FONT][/FONT]

"Except for certain [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Accident Benefits [/FONT][/FONT]coverage, there is no coverage under this policy if the automobile is rented or leased by you to another. "

*I slept at a Holiday Inn last night

A search for "insurance / vehicle lending" seems to support your statement.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/archive/index.php/t-138625.html?

Does your policy specifically detail "lending" (or is that documented in some insurance legislation / regulations somewhere ?

I.e. where does the "line fall" between an occasional / one time lending and an occasional or primary driver / rider ?

My husband is named on my policy, as I am on his. My friends are not. However as long as they hold a valid license and are fit to operate a motor vehicle then I can lend them my vehicle. It's not illegal.

Now if I signed a policy stating I was the only operator then no, I couldn't do this. However my policy (SF or whoever owns them now) allows me.

Read yours

My husband is named on my policy, as I am on his. My friends are not. However as long as they hold a valid license and are fit to operate a motor vehicle then I can lend them my vehicle. It's not illegal.

It becomes illegal as soon as you charge anyone for the privilege, however. That crosses the line into commercial use, and any regular policy being used in a commercial aspect will be cancelled and denied any claims against it.

Unless this guy has proper commercial insurance he's going to be in a world of hurt if/when someone gets in an accident on one of his rental bikes.

If he worded things properly, he may have valid insurance (although the insurance company should still rightfully take offence to the situation). Something along the lines of "I will let you use my bike while you pay me $50 an hour to watch you ride". Based on the wording of his ad, he is hooped if something happens.

It doesn't matter how you word it, if a vehicle is being used as part of the generation of profit, it's considered commercial use. Perhaps someone could send Vinny a PM and ask him to come confirm such.

Correct. If any $ changes hands it's commercial use. Can he get away with it? Sure. ....for a while.

Back
Top Bottom