Thinking of buying a 2005 BMW K1200s...... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of buying a 2005 BMW K1200s......

GateKeeper

As the title says

I am thinking of buying a 2005-2006 BMW K1200s

Didn't want the first year, and can't seem to find and or afford at this time anything newer, by 2008 I hear most of the bugs are gone but the price tag is steep for now for me.

So I have read all the things I can online, not sure if I missed anything of real importance, so would like to hear from anyone with any first hand knowledge, or even 2nd hand if it's worth while

I am long time rider, never a speed demon, never a long distance rider, mostly for fun and a way to get out of the car, lately I have been commuting to work as much as possible on 2 wheels, but would like to possibly go for a longer run if not this summer probably next, have lots of vacation time, so I'd like to use it and spend it on 2 wheels, nothing iron but crazy, but start off for a weekend trip and progress from there, no USA riding, it will be all in Canada, don't ask why....

I know the bike can do this, as well as daily commutes, so I think I am set....

Is there really something I missed that I shouldn't buy this bike for my intended needs.....

Not really interested in what else to get, instead of this, but reasons as to why not get this bike

Yah I am almost fully committed to this bike, but just wanting to make sure...

Thanks for any feed back you guys would like to share...

Cheers

Last edited:
"K" bikes are great. One of the most reliable and long lasting engines BMW ever made.
Just do the maintenance every year and change the oil and filter and it will last forever.
I am still riding my 1990 K100.

You should probably buy the Clymer guide for help on things like removing the fairing and things like that.
I don't recall off hand if that bike has a chain or shaft drive.
If it's shaft drive, keep those drive splines lubed. That's where the breakdowns occur.

Last edited:
I used to have 2008 model. Excellent bike!
My only suggestion is to stay away from servo brakes. If I remember correctly, 05-06 have servo brakes. If you search BMW forums you'll find a lot of info about it.

I looked at a few once. An early model that had the fancy graphic bodywork but a lot of miles on it actually had the graphics peeling off. :s Not really surprising for an all-new bike but the first couple of years have a few recalls on them.

Uhhhhh

In case you only see one or two, don't forget all the options they had. Supposedly some of the best factory grip heaters ever, ESA (I wouldn't sweat the ASC). It seems like people pretty much only bought them fully loaded or the base model around here.

I used to have 2008 model. Excellent bike!
My only suggestion is to stay away from servo brakes. If I remember correctly, 05-06 have servo brakes. If you search BMW forums you'll find a lot of info about it.

2006 model, I believe has the servo brakes so I am kinda out of luck, but if it's maintained and serviced, I am told it can last for a long time, and just as easily go to the crapper, north of a grand to put in new one, as they are not an item that can be rebuilt. a gamble, but then again isn't any bike.....

I looked at a few once. An early model that had the fancy graphic bodywork but a lot of miles on it actually had the graphics peeling off. :s Not really surprising for an all-new bike but the first couple of years have a few recalls on them.

Uhhhhh

In case you only see one or two, don't forget all the options they had. Supposedly some of the best factory grip heaters ever, ESA (I wouldn't sweat the ASC). It seems like people pretty much only bought them fully loaded or the base model around here.

The one I am looking at has a lot of the options on it...

recalls are still covered by BMW if not done, so I am safe there, they still do them at their cost, the service maintenance, well that is my cost naturally, and I can live with that, from what I gather it's a bike that will cost between 500 and a grand more or less per year to keep it maintained according to BMW's suggested maintenance path, used to this, had BMW cars, and now Mercedes cars as well so this is not a shocker.....

My only concern currently is the one I am looking at has only been in to dealer once, not a BMW dealer, but a shop that is authorized to work on BMW, bike looks to be very clean, I will have to go see it and see what my gut tells me....

One other thing is some people very strongly dislike how the Duolever front suspension feels. I'm not saying it's bad (never had an opportunity to try it personally) but if you could sweet talk your way into a test ride then you would know for sure that you could live with it and you weren't immediately trying to sell it again

You won't find very many BMW riders complaining about the duolever front ends. There is no front end dive, and perfect stability on bumpy roads on the tightest of curves. The only ones that complain are moto journalists, who we all know are so sensitive, they could easily detect the smallest of pea's if it were under their mattress!

You won't find very many BMW riders complaining about the duolever front ends. There is no front end dive, and perfect stability on bumpy roads on the tightest of curves. The only ones that complain are moto journalists, who we all know are so sensitive, they could easily detect the smallest of pea's if it were under their mattress!

LOL, but I believe you.about the pea detection...yes I have heard some good things about the front end setup..

+1

Can't imagine a bike without it now.

As for the servo assist brakes, I had them on my old '06 1200GS and never had an issue with them, same goes for my friend who bought the bike from me and sold it at around 70,000 kms I believe, no issues with the servos. Not to say they were not a problem, many people did have issues, but many people had zero problems.

It seems the solution to the servo brake computer when it goes down is to simply remove the unit.
Then you re-wire the brake circuits around the unit.
No more servo assist but you still have standard brakes.

2006 model, I believe has the servo brakes so I am kinda out of luck, but if it's maintained and serviced, I am told it can last for a long time, and just as easily go to the crapper, north of a grand to put in new one, as they are not an item that can be rebuilt. a gamble, but then again isn't any bike.....

It's not just the servos themselves, it's all the sensors that go along with it.

I suffered an ABS sensor malfunction that left me without any servo brakes. $75 part, but it left me stranded for a week while on tour.

Everything's getting too computerized these days.

Thanks guys.....all great tips and things to ponder over, I am getting close to obtaining a bike, just have not made the deal 100 percent complete yet, but as they say, crap happens, so if it does, what can I do, get it fixed and move on....

Hey Lightcycle, if all goes well and bike does me good, it just might end up in Croatia, I have a few years until retirement, and then plan on being there for at least 6 months of the year, so who knows might see you and Neda one day when you guys go to Croatia for a visit.....my wife's cousin has a nice place in Zadar.....

Hey Lightcycle, if all goes well and bike does me good, it just might end up in Croatia, I have a few years until retirement, and then plan on being there for at least 6 months of the year, so who knows might see you and Neda one day when you guys go to Croatia for a visit.....my wife's cousin has a nice place in Zadar.....

Cool! We are in Croatia all the time. Let us know!

Well I did it, finally got a bike, and damn near close to what I have wanted, she needs a bit of work, but nothing a few dollars won't cure.....

Looking right now for a new slip on, getting new tires, ordered a new dark windscreen, and trying to figure out what GPS to use, no not the expensive one, I don't ride far and wide, just locally and the odd trip east or west, I have not done much in the way of long distance touring ever, so I have to take it slow.....

anyways a few pics of my girl....

yes the M badging has been removed......

1.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

nice bike, congrats. are you missing one of the panniers, or is it just not on the bike?

Back
Top Bottom