Electrical dashboard gremlin... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical dashboard gremlin...

LoneRonin

So I went to change my dash lights because some of the bulbs were burnt out and the fuel gauge bulb does not seem to be working. There's a total of 5-6 bulbs down there and it seems to be the only one that won't light up. I swapped in fresh bulbs and ones that work in other plugs don't work there...so I figured its the plug itself. Everything looks good, wires don't look to be cracked, stripped or frayed and in 7 years I've only ever changed the bulbs 2 times so don't know what the hell that plug could have been exposed to because the others are all fine. I didn't check but figure it can't be the fuse because then nothing would work...any ideas?

Its an old bike km's considered and such a minor annoyance but just wondering...

If those are the usual wedge-base bulbs, there is a really tiny wire on each side of the base of the bulb which is the only thing that makes contact. If there is any corrosion inside the socket for the bulb or if that tiny wire gets pushed out of the way or broken, no workie. Usually you can test the bulb in the socket before plugging the socket into the back of the instrument panel.

The backlighting bulbs all come from the same power supply to the instrument cluster.

The backlighting bulbs all come from the same power supply to the instrument cluster.

and that's why I was scratching my head wondering what the hell?? Turns out I had the bulb that was supposed to go into the temp gauge socket mixed up with the fuel gauge one. Went to the front noticed the temp light staying on, thought that's not right...traced the wires in the back and figured it out. Dumbass mistake on my part.

Back
Top Bottom