Seneca Rocks West Virginia! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Seneca Rocks West Virginia!

Rjack

Returned on Saturday from a 2200 km round trip to Seneca Rocks WV. What a trip, great weather, fantastic roads, and the bike performed like a champ.

Day one - Headed Through Allegheny State forest in Pennsylvania along Highway 666 and made our way over to the Loleta recreation area for the first night. Love the 666 and have ridden through this state forest many times in the past.

Day two- headed for Elkins WV. That's where the fun really started. From Elkins to Seneca Rocks on highway 33 to make camp at Seneca Shadows camp ground. Great road with good surface and lots of sweeping turns and some good twisties as you head into the Monongahela National Forest.

Day Three - bikes unloaded and suspension adjusted we hit the road at about 7am. Continued on Highway 33 with a diversion to the top of Spruce knob (highest peak in WV), great twisties and a couple of hairpin switchbacks on the way up. Quick stop and look around at the top and then back down. Continued on the 33 into Franklin, hooked up to the 220 to Monterey Virginia. At Monterey we jumped on the 250 to come back across the mountains to Huttonsville WV. We then continued on the 250 and completed the loop to Elkins and back to the camp on the 33. Returned to the camp around 7pm after experiencing some of the best motorcycling roads I have ever ridden!

Day four - we weaved our way along secondary roads (again great riding) to Moundsville to tour the now decommissioned WV Penitentiary. Interesting but really rundown and most of the building is not accessible. From Moundsville we traveled north to Wheeling WV for a night of luxury in a Hampton Inn.

Day five - mix of interstate and secondary highway home.

If you have not ridden WV, you really need to add this to your list of must go destinations. It is absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:
I was there this morning and stayed at some 50's motel called Boyer motel just off the #250 between Elkins and Monterey. I saw quite a few deer out on the 250 in the evening.

Did you go ride Smoke Hole Rd? It is a road like no other...

What was the Seneca Shadoows campground like? Did you have to book in advance?

I was there this morning and stayed at some 50's motel called Boyer motel just off the #250 between Elkins and Monterey. I saw quite a few deer out on the 250 in the evening.

Did you go ride Smoke Hole Rd? It is a road like no other...

What was the Seneca Shadows campground like? Did you have to book in advance?

We did not do the Smoke Hole Rd, Ill add it to the list for the next trip. Seneca Shadows is a great Campground. We had a double drive in site with two large, dry, level tent pads. The restrooms and showers were very clean and well looked after. Really appreciated the hot shower after all the miles. We did not book in advance, it was real quiet, I think we were the only ones in our section. Might be because it was in the middle of the week?? The camp host John took good care of us, delivered our firewood (included some complimentary fire wood for the second night) , fire starter bundle, and shared lots of stories. Highly recommended but I can see it becoming busy during the peak season.

Back
Top Bottom