Step by step directions offline | GTAMotorcycle.com

Step by step directions offline

huhsure

Is it possible to plan a route and have it give you step by step directions offline? The closest I seem to have found is to draw your route in google maps then save it and just follow the lines when im out. Which you would think would be near impossible to **** up, but i still do. So was hoping for a step by step.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Yea ive got a smart phone, everything works when I have a data connection. but i have no idea what im doing to get it to work offline

Theres an app called "HERE Maps" You can download the entire province (or an entire state) and itll work offline without data :)
Its backed by Nokia so its not a random little app with crappy information

Theres an app called "HERE Maps" You can download the entire province (or an entire state) and itll work offline without data :)
Its backed by Nokia so its not a random little app with crappy information
I use HERE as well. I haven't figured out how to plan a route using specific roads, but the offline maps and navigation works great!

The latest versions of Google Maps have the ability to download a geographic area for offline use. Google it.

You can also plan a route (including manually dragging your course to roads of your choice) on your desktop and then send it to Google Maps on your phone so that the phone will then route you the exact way you chose.

It's a slick combination.

Any gps app should be able to give you directions offline, you will just have to enter your current address instead of using the phones gps to tell you your location. But thats alot harder than it sounds most of the time.

Any gps app should be able to give you directions offline, you will just have to enter your current address instead of using the phones gps to tell you your location. But thats alot harder than it sounds most of the time.
The GPS in my phone works offline (including my location, I don't even have data), but it only shows the small section of map around you. Cant search for an address or load any map sections that are currently blank. HEREmaps needs about 619mb of space for all of Ontario, then you can do anything offline (except specific road route planning AFAIK)

Best offline maping is Basecamp from GARMIN. Now you need a GARMIN GPS for this. It downloads the same map that is on the gps and allows you to plot on your computer, no internet connection required. When done, connect gps to computer with Basecamp open and send the route to the device. Very easy and powerful and you can print out step by step instructions s as well.

Why would you ever think you need a Garmin GPS to use Basecamp??

Here are the Garmin Apps for the various Mac platforms including Basecamp. Mind you ...the Garmin Apps do not get high marks ....there are better choices out there.

Furkot can take anything from Basecamp or send it to Basecamp.
http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/Data+Management

Basecamp can output to GPX and then you have a wide choice of off net apps for your smart phone.

This is very much a fast moving area...GoogleMaps is NOT what you want for offnet.

I use TomTom mainly for it's Winding Roads feature .....I can tho plot multiple points on it as well but that's rarely how I ride....I prefer the surprises Winding Roads pops up.

Furkot and numerous other Best Motorcycle roads web sites offer specific directions and there is a growing body of routes that are available with importable GPX files.

some other stuff

All of these do not need a network connection to operate.....

1a.jpg

MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Overview

Or if Garmin is of interest

BN-DH024_GARMIN_G_20140616223102.jpg

Garmin’s Viago GPS App Has Powerful Features—Especially if You Pay Extra

By WILSON ROTHMAN
Jun 17, 2014 7:00 am ET
0 COMMENTS

Garmin’s new Viago app, shown here with topographical maps, lane guidance and 3-D turn-by-turn navigation. GARMIN
Garmin, the once-mighty GPS powerhouse, just launched Víago, the latest attempt to win back its former hardware customers. And it may well be Garmin’s most compelling software offering yet.

When it comes to GPS navigation, Google has most of us spoiled. We get free turn-by-turn navigation anywhere in the world, right on our phones. And when another company dares to give us free turn-by-turn navigation that isn’t as good (yes, that’d be Apple), everybody reaches for the pitchforks and torches. It’s easy to forget a time not long ago when paying $200 for a Garmin or TomTom seemed like a reasonable way to get in-car GPS.

Well, Garmin hasn’t forgotten. Think of Víago—which arrives today for both iOS and Android—as a highly customizable GPS system on your phone.
Garmin?s Viago GPS App Has Powerful Features?Especially if You Pay Extra - Personal Tech News - WSJ

that was two years ago

Navigon

navigon_iphone_hero.jpg

Navigon
Navigon is a full and complete navigation system / GPS system for iPhone. It comes with tons of extra features to make your trip even more easier. Navigon includes 2D and 3D maps, day and night mode, smart intelligent address searching, routes planning and road signs as well. This app has all the features needed for a perfect navigation app in USA. It comes at a price. So it is not for those who are looking for a free navigation app / GPS app, but rather for those who are looking for a professional navigation app / GPS app.

Sygic

ios-app-launch.jpg

If you’re a Pakistani or any other country in which the internet is now easy to avail everywhere. You probably need a navigation app / GPS app that works offline too. This app actually uses the TOMTOM GPS map to allow you the instructions around. And helps you choose the finest route around. In Sygic there are a lot of cool features included like the 3D option, voice navigation, speed limit warnings etc. Yes the TOMTOM app is still available but as this “SYGIC” is free to use and download it makes it to reach in the list.

And there are thousands of GPX routes that can be downloaded then put into a phone GPS program.

Apps like https://trips.furkot.com/ui provide a Rosetta Stone between various formats - importing and exporting.

This new App might put it all together - 100 way points eh

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Description
Scenic is the best motorcycle navigation app out there at the moment. It's the app alternative to, and in some ways better than expensive motorcycle GPS units like the Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider. Plan, navigate and document your Motorcycle Trips with ease and
enjoy the Scenery and the freedom of the road more. No more time waisted on finding, editing, converting and transferring Scenic Routes to your GPS device. Why carry around an extra and expensive GPS unit while your phone can do it all?

Scenic is especially designed for motorcycle touring, which also makes it very useful for car touring and bicyclists who enjoy Scenic Routes. Mainstream navigation apps just don't cut it for Scenic touring. We want to create our own routes or import them from GPX and then navigate them with turn by turn and voice instructions; We want to avoid highways and city traffic; We want fully documented records of our riding adventures; We want to know the Scenic Routes in an area. Scenic does it all... and more...

List of Features:
- Turn by Turn and Voice Navigation
- Import any GPX Route or Track and turn it into a navigable route
- Offline Maps
- Create routes from scratch by dropping upto 100 via points
- Turn a trip into a navigable route
- Export trips and routes to GPX
- Scenic Route Database
- Trip Tracker & Recorder
- Use Scenic on all your devices. Your information is synced.
- Multiple Map- and User Interface colour schemes to choose from.
- Trip sharing on your favourite Social Channels

more
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1089668246

http://osmand.net/
I've been using it for years. Found it to be the best for me. Never figured out how to plan a specific route with Here. Here is great for getting from a to b though. Osmand will let you create your own route and it does list turn by turn directions. You can use your phone to create your own route with multiple points or you can import a route. It works offline so no data charges. Have it running while listening to music via my Uclear ....voice interrupts the music telling me everything from next turn to railroad tracks......and it's FREE! Here is good....but for me Osmand takes the cake!

Back
Top Bottom