Been thinking about a Harley... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Been thinking about a Harley...

People call them metric cruisers because you can accurately measure how lame they are (now THAT's sarcasm!). I'd say the order of brand preference would be HD>Triumph/Moto Guzzi>Indian/Victory>Sushi Platter>Royal Enfield. Forward slash indicates image parity. We're visual, social animals with a symbolic belief system, poor risk assessment skills and the need for happiness. What makes you happy? I dig the weirder Japanese cruisers like the M109, Warrior, Super Magna and even the Vulcan S. Take the IDEA of the cruiser and go on a tangent. If the OP can swing it and the chaps fit snugly, grab the new Roadster. It's so cool that you could dip your sponge in a bucket of GTAM hate and use it to polish brightwork. Do your research and get some bad to the bone. #inrebrules

Last edited:
OP i think you should get one...especially because of the emotional connection to your dad....
to digress...for yrs and yrs i wanted a ducati, couldnt stop thinking about them...finally got TWO.. a 900ss and a 748.
dove into the whole ducati thing headfirst, learned to do the valve adjustments, bought specialty tools etc... a few years after learning all i could about every aspect of ducatidom it just got boring...doing the maintenance became a chore and i became tired of paying a premium to own a red italian bike...so i sold them and now im riding a cheap, japanese zero maintenance, many would say ,boring bike....couldnt be happier.
so my point is ...you only live once, if you can afford it go for it...its great to have some variety on your lifes motorcycle resume....if you decide the HD thing is not for you, you can always sell it and get something else...theres always going to be bikes out there to buy !

sorry for the long-winded post. :0)

Very well written, What a great reply. Thank you..

yea, it's kind of funny how you miss things about a person when they are gone. My dad loved HD's but also was so interested in my Japanese bikes as well as he never owned or rode one in his life. I can remember just sitting around talking bikes, his stories were always amazing. Dirt roads, no helmets and of course buying used bikes for 5 bucks..etc
It was always a good time. Should emotion lead your decision when buying a motorcycle... I think so...

Pity that the Roadster and its Sportster brethrens are made for 3/4-scale humans.

@Jampy00 growing up all O ever wanted was a Harley. Whenever anyone heard I wanted a bike they instantly said "Harley?". I guess it was the image I gave off (or the gut). But since I was 12, every birthday gift from the parents was HD hats, shirts, bandanas etc. Strangely enough, the birthday with the real HD never came. (Parents were against it). Fast forward to 6 years ago when I got my Shadow, I though it may be temporary until I could get an HD. Now, I don't know. I've realized that I can't wrench on a bike and it isn't in my budget to afford one. But everytime one passes by. Everytime I look at one.... I am more than happy with what I have, but if the money ever is there, I will probably get one. And if it ends up not being what I have built it up to be, I will sell it.
You wanna get it kinda for you, kinda for a tribute for your dad. That hangs heavy in the heart. If you have the means to do it, I wish you the best. And if you decide that it ends up not being what you were expecting, I'm sure that your dad will be smiling knowing that he did own one, at one time, through you.
(Sorry if it's a sappy post, but that's who I am ☺)

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Pity that the Roadster and its Sportster brethrens are made for 3/4-scale humans.

Haha, yea some low seats for sure. I've sat on a few and at 5'9" I did not find that too low but just a bit strange compared to my current Honda CB1000R

OP i think you should get one...especially because of the emotional connection to your dad....
to digress...for yrs and yrs i wanted a ducati, couldnt stop thinking about them...finally got TWO.. a 900ss and a 748.
dove into the whole ducati thing headfirst, learned to do the valve adjustments, bought specialty tools etc... a few years after learning all i could about every aspect of ducatidom it just got boring...doing the maintenance became a chore and i became tired of paying a premium to own a red italian bike...so i sold them and now im riding a cheap, japanese zero maintenance, many would say ,boring bike....couldnt be happier.
so my point is ...you only live once, if you can afford it go for it...its great to have some variety on your lifes motorcycle resume....if you decide the HD thing is not for you, you can always sell it and get something else...theres always going to be bikes out there to buy !

sorry for the long-winded post. :0)

This!

Just go buy yourself a HD. If it turns out to be a money pit then sell it and get a nice metric.
Kawi had a vulcan or meanstreak...very nice technology and it was matte black with red flames.
Do yourself a favor, go lookup the Kawi meanstreak bikes.

@Jampy00 growing up all O ever wanted was a Harley. Whenever anyone heard I wanted a bike they instantly said "Harley?". I guess it was the image I gave off (or the gut). But since I was 12, every birthday gift from the parents was HD hats, shirts, bandanas etc. Strangely enough, the birthday with the real HD never came. (Parents were against it). Fast forward to 6 years ago when I got my Shadow, I though it may be temporary until I could get an HD. Now, I don't know. I've realized that I can't wrench on a bike and it isn't in my budget to afford one. But everytime one passes by. Everytime I look at one.... I am more than happy with what I have, but if the money ever is there, I will probably get one. And if it ends up not being what I have built it up to be, I will sell it.
You wanna get it kinda for you, kinda for a tribute for your dad. That hangs heavy in the heart. If you have the means to do it, I wish you the best. And if you decide that it ends up not being what you were expecting, I'm sure that your dad will be smiling knowing that he did own one, at one time, through you.
(Sorry if it's a sappy post, but that's who I am ☺)

Hey man thanks, I think we should meet up and hug :lmao:

Just kidding, but always looking for other "gut brothers" to ride with, I'm only 40 mins from you...

Get the bike that will make you happy, and remember there is no rule that says you can only have 1 bike, you can always add a ADV, SS, Metric to your stable

The King says 'just do it'.

I'd recommend a Fat Boy, Softail Slim, or Dyna Street Bob...

08bf1654ff461ed9f82ed743f1fb9235_zpsgvptbwxi.jpg

The King says 'just do it'.

I'd recommend a Fat Boy, Softail Slim, or Dyna Street Bob...

08bf1654ff461ed9f82ed743f1fb9235_zpsgvptbwxi.jpg

This. An evolution of this bike is what I think Harley should offer. Look how easily the handle bars fall to hand. Is that too much to ask?

I think the Street Bob's mini apes are perfect. This is me drooling all over one back in Feb:

12729169_10153989598713919_7970558637737169378_n.jpg

I think the Street Bob's mini apes are perfect. This is me drooling all over one back in Feb:

12729169_10153989598713919_7970558637737169378_n.jpg

You couldn't be more wrong. I hope this doesn't affect our online friendship in any measurable way.

Wow that is a nice colour on that street bob

You couldn't be more wrong. I hope this doesn't affect our online friendship in any measurable way.

ps, all kidding aside.....if that bike was a piece of heavy equipment(some ague it is) and was mandated by OSHA legislation to have workable 8hr. shift ergonomics, the handle bars would not be placed as such. Just my opinion, my dad used to want a soapbox.

Hey man thanks, I think we should meet up and hug :lmao:

Just kidding, but always looking for other "gut brothers" to ride with, I'm only 40 mins from you...

Dont forget the Ice Cream or meet at a DQ perhaps...lol.

This. An evolution of this bike is what I think Harley should offer. Look how easily the handle bars fall to hand. Is that too much to ask?

Would you not consider the current Softail Deluxe/Heritage is exactly that? I adore the Deluxe (whitewalls mandatory) and almost bought a Heritage Deluxe until the HD dealer said it wasn't a good 2-up tourer due to a lighter frame than the SG/RG. I may still buy one some day.

Last edited:
Very well written, What a great reply. Thank you..

yea, it's kind of funny how you miss things about a person when they are gone. My dad loved HD's but also was so interested in my Japanese bikes as well as he never owned or rode one in his life. I can remember just sitting around talking bikes, his stories were always amazing. Dirt roads, no helmets and of course buying used bikes for 5 bucks..etc
It was always a good time. Should emotion lead your decision when buying a motorcycle... I think so...

Why else does anyone sit on a tank full of flammable fluids near your balls on top of a really hot engine dressed like a power ranger or a gangster :agave:

Would you not consider the current Heritage is exactly that? I adore the Heritage (whitewalls mandatory) and almost bought a Heritage Deluxe until I the HD dealer said it wasn't a good 2-up tourer due to a lighter frame than the SG/RG. I may still buy one some day.

No, I would not. The silhouette of the current Heritage sort of comes close but close up they're just too gaudy for my humble taste. Also the ergo triangle is off. My buddy bought a Florida cop bike a few years ago when it was prudent to do so and it is the only HD that hits the mark and what I believe HD should offer. Maybe there's no money in stripper models? It's got a gazzillion miles now, been abused in hot Florida stop and go, no real major mechanical issues to report.

Dont forget the Ice Cream or meet at a DQ perhaps...lol.
You know me so well ?

No, I would not. The silhouette of the current Heritage sort of comes close but close up they're just too gaudy for my humble taste. Also the ergo triangle is off. My buddy bought a Florida cop bike a few years ago when it was prudent to do so and it is the only HD that hits the mark and what I believe HD should offer. Maybe there's no money in stripper models? It's got a gazzillion miles now, been abused in hot Florida stop and go, no real major mechanical issues to report.

The current police specials are stripped down SG's. Very few who buy a SG would want a bare bones one. It's been tried and failed. Lots of bars/boards/seats to adjust the rider triangle though.

Back
Top Bottom