Been thinking about a Harley... | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Been thinking about a Harley...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by statsman
Back in the early 1990s, the Toronto Police bought several BMWs.
K1000s for the Traffic unit and K750s for the divisions.
They all sat in the lockups being used rarely if at all.
Why? They weren't Harleys.
IMO the Beemers were technically superior in every aspect.
But the coppers image of themselves on a Harley wouldn't transfer to the BMW.
Not that I'm complaining.
I got my K1000 at the police auction. It was 10 years old and only had 20,000 km on it.

You just reminded me of a convo I had with an OPP biker cop. She was cool and decent to talk to, she rode a GSXR.
I asked her why do you guys ride Harleys, they are slow and can't keep upwith most bikes today.
She said I know, once I hit 110-120 I stop because it vibrates like hell and likely to blow. She does not go above 110kmh.

She further said the reason they buy/have them is for parades. I said huh...she said the older guys buy these to show off and they want to ride Harleys so this is what we get handed down to us to ride on the street.

It would make more sense to run some Busa's or Kawi's even Honda St1300 type bikes.
They can carry gear, offer safer options e.g. abs, traction control, etc..

Eh? HD Touring models have 6 spd transmissions and cruise comfortably above 120/km/h all day. They are smooth at any speed with excellent cargo capacity. They also have ABS although no traction control.

Do Harleys work good for parades?

OP i think you should get one...especially because of the emotional connection to your dad....
to digress...for yrs and yrs i wanted a ducati, couldnt stop thinking about them...finally got TWO.. a 900ss and a 748.
dove into the whole ducati thing headfirst, learned to do the valve adjustments, bought specialty tools etc... a few years after learning all i could about every aspect of ducatidom it just got boring...doing the maintenance became a chore and i became tired of paying a premium to own a red italian bike...so i sold them and now im riding a cheap, japanese zero maintenance, many would say ,boring bike....couldnt be happier.
so my point is ...you only live once, if you can afford it go for it...its great to have some variety on your lifes motorcycle resume....if you decide the HD thing is not for you, you can always sell it and get something else...theres always going to be bikes out there to buy !

sorry for the long-winded post. :0)
Reminds me of when I got my BMW

Eh? HD Touring models have 6 spd transmissions and cruise comfortably above 120/km/h all day. They are smooth at any speed with excellent cargo capacity. They also have ABS although no traction control.

But that is not the model their extensive research led them to buy.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dr. Luxurious

so my point is ...you only live once, if you can afford it go for it...its great to have some variety on your lifes motorcycle resume....if you decide the HD thing is not for you, you can always sell it and get something else...theres always going to be bikes out there to buy !

bingo + unmatched when it comes to holding value,

old goldwings go for peanuts these days plus forget basic engine rebuild parts

Last edited:
if you need to ask, you wouldn't understand,

key words that trump riff raff

Are you ok? Never ask a question you don't know the answer to.

This #YOLO philosophy has ruined a lot of lives. On the bright side, yolo.

Back
Top Bottom