Been thinking about a Harley... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Been thinking about a Harley...

Jampy00

Site Supporter
Yep, I know. Many of you will say I am either stupid, crazy or a little bit of both, But the fact remains I can't get the thought of owning a HD out of my head. I must admit it is a "bucket list" kind of thing, my dad always talked about getting one when he retired, but alas he took ill and is no longer with us. I think part of me wants to do it for him and part of me wants it for me. I know the history, I've read the reviews and horror stories, but the thought just keeps spinning around. I'm not 100% sure it will ever become a reality, but as I get older ( and sadly ride a few less miles ) I want to ride them on something I never would have even considered a few years ago. In my "short" riding history I've logged tens of thousands of KM's I've seen coutless cities, towns and villages. Amazing people and those I wonder how they are still alive and on the road. Maybe I'm just babbling, but I wanted to share these thoughts with and get some thoughts, reactions and/or comments.. What's your riding wish or dream or crazy idea?

Thanks for reading..

Nothing wrong with wanting a Harley. I bash them all the time but I'd own/ride one if massaged to my taste. I took a friends' around the block as a favour so he could hear his new pipes from the sidewalk perspective and it was kinda neat, effortless torque blatting thru a residential tree tunnel. I can see how riding could make you feel like a real mofo in a good way. Also take a look at the CBR125.

Nothing wrong with thinking about riding a Harley. It's much cheaper then actually having to own one.

Buy a metric instead. Same end result, drastically less cost. *cough cough more reliable cough cough* ;)

HD factory demo at Jacox June 25. It's a Saturday. I'd show up early as it might be a little bit of a zoo.

Everything from touring to intro models. I've demo'd the Street Glide Special, Low Rider S, Soft Tail Heritage, Night Rod............

I've retired the Buell but, my Roadster serves me well.

When the dollar was at par and the American economy was in the tank, it was easy pickings to import. Now? Not so much.

The VRod is a nice bike. Smooth, decent power, cruiser eros. It would be fun.

But, I'm about 50% of the time 2up so, I'm looking at the touring models now.

They are simple to work on, parts are easy to come by. Buying used, you benefit from accessories the previous owner already did.

Just have to determine what you want to get out it. Boulivard cruiser? Leisure rides in the country? Join HOG and do some rides with some groups?

The Dyna Line looks good. Switchback has quick detach windshield and small detachable saddle bags. The Low Rider and Fat Bob have twin disc front brakes and decent power from a 103" motor. Might need some suspension upgrades for 2up.

Just want to look good? The Breakout is low and raked. Good for a straight line or posing at timmie's or polishing in the lane way. Turning is optional.

The soft tails vary from Fatboys to Heritage.

Touring models are big and heavy but, once on the way, are easy to ride and comfortable.

When you get the Harley, I want your Honda CB1000.

I'm considering putting it up for sale, if you are serious, let me know.

For me I really like the 48 and the Fatboy, my wife is not into motorcycles so no 2up suits her fine. I just want something different to me. the 48 really gets me as my dad had bikes very similiar when he was in his teenage years. I thank everyone for the replies and the feedback, keep it coming.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with wanting a Harley. I bash them all the time but I'd own/ride one if massaged to my taste. I took a friends' around the block as a favour so he could hear his new pipes from the sidewalk perspective and it was kinda neat, effortless torque blatting thru a residential tree tunnel. I can see how riding could make you feel like a real mofo in a good way. Also take a look at the CBR125.

And what does this say about your 'sport bike'?

I'm considering putting it up for sale, if you are serious, let me know.

For me I really like the 48 and the Fatboy, my wife is not into motorcycles so no 2up suits her fine. I just want something different to me. the 48 really gets me as my dad had bikes very similiar when he was in his teenage years. I thank everyone for the replies and the feedback, keep it coming.

The 48, Nice little bike. Good for about an hour or so saddle time and the 2.1 gallon tank will have you refueling and stretching your legs. Plenty out there used. Try to get one with a "stage 1". Typically, exhaust, air cleaner and fuel map for the added air flow. Ebay or kijiji if you want to keep an eye open for a larger tank to swap out if you want to travel down to PA or something. 3.3 gallon or 4.5 gallon are options.

Stock suspension is minimal at best. Ride it for a season but, I'd look for something from progressive front and rear.

Otherwise, great bike, looks great. Not much fun commuting on the 400 series above 120 km/h. Gets a little tiring.

Fatboy or Soft Tail slim has better range, bigger motor, lower seat height. Higher price point too but, they are nice.

Last edited:
Check out the Harley Roadster, better suspension and brakes over the other Sportster.

After having owned countless SS bikes over the years I wanted to add something that I could ride at (closer) to the speed limit and still enjoy, plus able to ride all day without aching at the days end and be able to do a day or two with the gf on the back. No way could replace the SS with a cruiser but wanted addition. Checked out HD, Victory, and the metrics. Was looking for something in the power cruiser range but realized a bagger is what I really needed. Chose the Victory Magnum over the HD SG (three friends have SG's, one has a RG, two have Ultra's) this past winter and although it was a adjustment period I'm really enjoying it. The more I ride it the more I want to ride it.
I've had cruiser friends for years and I always bash them (still do) but I'm happy I took the plunge with this bike.
BTW, big reasons for me not choosing a HD product was the lack of reliability and not easy to maintain (from numerous friends experiences). Vic was lighter, more power, looked better, and is bulletproof.
Take some time to find the right cruiser and take a chance on it.

I wanted a harley for a long time, it was between the 48 or the 72. Love those bikes. But alas, I went for something totally different. No regrets, but one day I'll have one of those!

If Harley had a bike that I wanted I would own one. They just don't have one. Wanting something for a name has never been a draw for me if the product cannot stand on its own.
The last one I tried was a Screaming Eagle Road Glide. I could not wait to get back onto the V2K.
Now the Indian Chieftain however, that's a bike I could own.

The 48, Nice little bike. Good for about an hour or so saddle time and the 2.1 gallon tank will have you refueling and stretching your legs. Plenty out there used. Try to get one with a "stage 1". Typically, exhaust, air cleaner and fuel map for the added air flow. Ebay or kijiji if you want to keep an eye open for a larger tank to swap out if you want to travel down to PA or something. 3.3 gallon or 4.5 gallon are options.

Stock suspension is minimal at best. Ride it for a season but, I'd look for something from progressive front and rear.

Otherwise, great bike, looks great. Not much fun commuting on the 400 series above 120 km/h. Gets a little tiring.

Fatboy or Soft Tail slim has better range, bigger motor, lower seat height. Higher price point too but, they are nice.

I 100% agree, love the look of the 48 tank but it is so small !?!
mind you I tend to ride solo most of the time, so stoping for fuel/food/drink has always been my thing. My 1000+ KM days I fear are behind me, I now seem to be a weekend warrior.. LOL
I find it funny how much my riding taste and style have changed over the years. Also so pleased to see no flamming or bashing in this thread, I've been a firm believer in "ride what you like"

I'm a firm believer in "ride what you like" too. That's why I ditched the sporty bikes, and the cheap offshore cruisers in favor of the real thing. The original. The best. Not bragging or anything, but there comes a time when you mature as a rider, and that means no more boy-racer nonsense. Sure there are great bikes, but there's only one Harley Davidson: most desired bike in the world. The best selling for a reason. :laughing6:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom