Fork and axle line up spacing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork and axle line up spacing

cbcanada

Banned
After a fork rebuilt I put the forks back on and noticed my left fork is not lining up snug to the spacer between the fork and tire? Should it be snug? Could this be because I tightened up the pinch bolts up top first?

9539b5fa9e898f8c65353a0677f78cf1.jpg

If your front axle isn't threaded in, you solved it. Nothing a little persuasion doesn't fix.

Lol nice way to put it! No it's not threaded...

But while putting the caliper back in. I discovered the previous owner used a helicoil on the lower bolt.. Which now has fallen out and my lower bolt will not torque down.. Mind you the lower bolt is not the main bolt but still...

ccdc6696ae0eb6659cf3468fcbebd8dc.jpg

ce747503d6257f170cbe22d887bd32d9.jpg

That's not a helicoil. That is over tightened, pulled out aluminium Harley thread. Those bolts don't have to be THAT tight.
You will now have to install an insert.

To put the front wheel together; put it together loosely, then tighten the pinch bolts on the left side, then compress the forks by pushing down on the wheel a couple of times with the brakes on hard, then tighten the axle nut to specified torque (To pull the two side together), then compress the forks again (to align everything), then the right side pinch bolts (if there is right pinch bolts).

That gap might mean you have bent forks. Yes, it should be "snug".
With everything still loose, loosen off the pinch bolts in the triples and turn the fork tubes, one at a time and watch that gap. If the gap changes, you got bent forks.

That's not a helicoil. That is over tightened, pulled out aluminium Harley thread. Those bolts don't have to be THAT tight.
You will now have to install an insert.

To put the front wheel together; put it together loosely, then tighten the pinch bolts on the left side, then compress the forks by pushing down on the wheel a couple of times with the brakes on hard, then tighten the axle nut to specified torque (To pull the two side together), then compress the forks again (to align everything), then the right side pinch bolts (if there is right pinch bolts).

That gap might mean you have bent forks. Yes, it should be "snug".
With everything still loose, loosen off the pinch bolts in the triples and turn the fork tubes, one at a time and watch that gap. If the gap changes, you got bent forks.

I used the torque specs in the manual not sure what happened.

What I did was, compressed the forks first then tightened the axle nut. I tapped with a rubber mallet and pulled the other fork in with hand and tightened the slider caps under the right fork .. That seemed to have closed the gap, you can see the difference in 2 pictures..

Can you explain what you mean by turning the fork tubes and watching the gap change?

I used the torque specs in the manual not sure what happened.
- tool user error
- not calibrated tool
- threads already stressed

Can you explain what you mean by turning the fork tubes and watching the gap change?
If the fork tubes are bent...as you move them in the triples..they will move closer / further away from the axle.

With the axle and it's bolts loose, loosen the upper and lower triple clamps of 1 fork. Turn the upper fork tube and watch the lower fork for spacing change. Tighten back the one fork and do the same on the other. If no gap changes, then it'a good chance they are both straight.

Well I got them snug by tapping a mallet and pushing with hand so I am just going to leave it at that for a while :) but thanks for the Input guys.

@frekeyguy I think the previous guy used lock tire... Anycase I ordered a new piece and torqued 10lb under what the manual says just in case :)

Well I got them snug by tapping a mallet and pushing with hand so I am just going to leave it at that for a while :) but thanks for the Input guys.

@frekeyguy I think the previous guy used lock tire... Anycase I ordered a new piece and torqued 10lb under what the manual says just in case :)

sounds like a simple fix, cant beat that :)!

Back
Top Bottom