Where's decent to visit in Maine? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where's decent to visit in Maine?

jc100

I fancy a seaside ride. Can't be bothered (haven't got the time) tootling up to east coast Canada but Maine is doable in a 3-4 day jaunt for me. I have some US dollars hanging about and even with the **** exchange rate things seem way more reasonable price wise in the US.

Whats a nice town, not too big (no cities) , decent motels/prices and bars etc? Cheap (good) seafood would be a bonus. I'm also OK with camping.

Bump?

was thinking Southport area. Lots of inlets etc and seafood restaurants off the beaten track.

Old Orchard Beach...check a map...

Wife's family went there for years...pretty touristy though...

Bar Harbor Maine. Great spot. Then head south along the costal highway.

Other spots to check out is Portland, Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

Last edited:
x2 Bar Harbor, nice little town - some may say it's too touristy but it's still got a genuine feel to it, not overly kitchy or overdone, we enjoyed it and were there for a few days.

We just got back from SC and travel the USA quite a lot. There are no deals to be had in the USA anymore, particularly with the ~30% exchange rate. Short of booze and gas, everything we did or bought cost more in the USA on our trip than it would have here, hands down...so don't expect your dollar to stretch, it wont.

Consider doing New Brunswick as well - we had a TON of fun just running up the coast and seeing all the *real* genuine little seaside towns, the hopewell rocks are amazing, St John was cool...and your dollar goes a LOT further. You could go do the US side/BH on your way out and then do NB and come back up through Quebec for the trip home.

State Route 27 from Farmington north to Coburn-Gore at the Quebec border is a lovely piece of road. Nice mountain scenery. Connects to Bangor via Route 2.

The coastal road is pretty, but slow-moving.

There are no real cities in Maine. Portland is only 66,000 people. We liked Bangor better (32,000). You might want to check out Deer Island for real peace and quiet. http://www.deerisle.com/

Bar Harbor Maine. Great spot. Then head south along the costal highway.

Other spots to check out is Portland, Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

+1 on Portland

Thank you. Got a wheel issue to sort out then I'll plan something. Even with the exchange rate I find I do pretty well on costs unless it's a really pricey destination (Lake Placid town is pretty pricey for example). I also have a wad of dollars hanging around that I never converted back. Also, and maybe this is an erroneous finding, I feel I get ripped off a lot more in Canada for tourist things at times.

On your way there or back, ride up Evan's Notch and down the other side and very close by there is also a good moto shop called Whitehorse Gear. There is also a nice campground called Grafton Notch, but all of this stuff I have mentioned is not on the coast, but along the New Hampshire border - about 100km away from Portland

On your way there or back, ride up Evan's Notch and down the other side and very close by there is also a good moto shop called Whitehorse Gear. There is also a nice campground called Grafton Notch, but all of this stuff I have mentioned is not on the coast, but along the New Hampshire border - about 100km away from Portland

Is that route 113 Shane?

Bar Harbor is fun, found Portland boring. There's some nice roads in Vermont (there's a thread in here somewhere) that are on the way., also Mount Washington if you haven't done it.

Boothbay Harbor and agree with Bar Harbor visit! Lake Placid run and take the ferry across to Burlington.

A must visit for Lobster on the pier ...

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Company
36 Main St
South Freeport, ME 04078

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom