Haven't been diving in a couple of years, what do I need to do before going again? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Haven't been diving in a couple of years, what do I need to do before going again?

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Haven't been diving in a couple of years, what do I need to do before going again?

I believe that most cruise ships / resorts had some kind of one day refresh in the classroom/pool, but I'd like to do something before I go.

Where do you live? Most dive shops run refresher courses. Personally I like Dive Source in whitby.

I believe that most cruise ships / resorts had some kind of one day refresh in the classroom/pool, but I'd like to do something before I go.

get tank...with air in it:lmao::cool:

Where do you live? Most dive shops run refresher courses. Personally I like Dive Source in whitby.

Yeah. A friend said there should be something for around $100, but it's not listed by the local shops on their sites. PADI has an online portion, but it's listed at $70, and you still need to do more at a dive shop. Guess I'll pop by a shop tonight and work it out.
get tank...with air in it:lmao::cool:

And a last will.
Have or will have both of those. Also need a medical, because I'm an old fart now.

Don't waste your money with the online course (it sounds like you already realized this).

Pool nights are more common in the winter. Even without an official course, the store may be ok with giving you a refresher on a regular dive.

Since you seem to be doing this properly, check your insurance for your trip, some policies exclude diving.

Courses offered are all over the place, as are the prices. Some do it in a deep pool for a couple of hours and $50 once a month. Others want you to do the $70 PADI online course and what sounds like a weekly dive in the St. Lawrence for $120. Still others seem like a dating service between you and a dive master. Makes me almost want to dive more often to keep it more current, but then I wouldn't necessarily be diving for pleasure.

You said haven't been in a couple yrs, how long really? A bit has changed in the last 10. My thoughts would be find a shop that has an open pool night and tell them what you want. PADI, ACUC, NUWI, doesnt really matter , they all follow a similar format.
Almost nobody looks at dive tables anymore (they dont even teach them) , its all dive computers. Learn how they work, dont trust the resort dive master.
Get comfortable in the water again with all the gear, its gotten lighter and better balanced. It also costs less.
Resort dives and cruise dives are fun, be consciencious of which Island your on, the gear you will be supplied varies from Island to Island in quality and maintenence.
Unless your going to dive regularly , rent tanks and regs, I would even consider taking a rental reg on holiday if I was going to Cuba.
If you get back into it, get your NITROX certification, you'll be happy for a variety of reasons.

Not all dive shops are equal and some dont take your safety as seriously as they could, if you get a weird vibe just leave and find another shop. The secret to a sucessful dive is finishing the trip with the same number of divers that went into the water.

Sounds interesting. Is there any local diving in Ontario?
I mean, any locations that you can actually dive or do you all do it while on vacation?

There is lots of Ontario diving.
The positives, its cheap enough and close to home, Tobermory is pretty interesting, the great lakes hold hundreds of wrecks, St lawrence has some good sites. There are a few flooded quarries that are now dive sites. You can meet some fun people so if you do a dive holiday you can find some people to travel with. Most dive shops have some group of regulars that have a 'club'. Diving with a small group that has experience in the area you want to see stops a lot of wasted time and is just safer.
The negatives, Ontario water is COLD. There are just shades of grey, you dont ever get cool colors like you see in the southern salt water. You need decent gear to stay comfortable, there is no diving in a light weight shorty wetsuit.

If you get sort of serious , look for a dive club, they can be a great source for training, deals on used gear, travel advice, local trips. Like any groups you'll find everybody from fun guys to Jacque Cousteau reborn, but that sorts itself out.

There is lots of Ontario diving.
The positives, its cheap enough and close to home, Tobermory is pretty interesting, the great lakes hold hundreds of wrecks, St lawrence has some good sites. There are a few flooded quarries that are now dive sites. You can meet some fun people so if you do a dive holiday you can find some people to travel with. Most dive shops have some group of regulars that have a 'club'. Diving with a small group that has experience in the area you want to see stops a lot of wasted time and is just safer.
The negatives, Ontario water is COLD. There are just shades of grey, you dont ever get cool colors like you see in the southern salt water. You need decent gear to stay comfortable, there is no diving in a light weight shorty wetsuit.

If you get sort of serious , look for a dive club, they can be a great source for training, deals on used gear, travel advice, local trips. Like any groups you'll find everybody from fun guys to Jacque Cousteau reborn, but that sorts itself out.

Very cool, always thought about diving. ( get over my fear of open water and imaginary sharks..LOL ) never knew Ontario had so many good spots. I'll have to look into this more.

Thanks!!

Sounds interesting. Is there any local diving in Ontario?
I mean, any locations that you can actually dive or do you all do it while on vacation?

Lost of diving in the Kingston area with all of the shipwrecks to be found in the now zebra mussel filtered waters.

Back
Top Bottom