Need UTV/side-by-side Reco | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need UTV/side-by-side Reco

DarylinAjax

Hi All,

I'm looking for opinions on UTV's (aka side-by-sides). I've got a 127-acre farm and am looking for something that can tow, push snow, carry firewood, and be an all-around workhorse. Pulling power, carrying capacity, and reliability are far more important than how fast it goes.

I'm liking the Polaris Ranger 900 but have heard they are not that reliable. I've looked also at the Honda Pioneer 700 but it looks pretty lightweight compared to the Polaris (Pioneer 1000 out of my snack bracket). I also like the Kubota UTV but it's priced somewhere between ridiculous and incredible. My max budget is about $17K all in.

Can anyone suggest other utility-grade UTV's I should be looking at or have a good, bad, or ugly opinion on any of them? Lemme know!

TIA!

Do you have a width target? Any reason a good old Jeep or truck won't work for you. I have always liked the Rhino 700 but it may not have the tow ratings or load capacity you are looking for.

If you go the truck route a old Tacoma would be ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neighbours up at the cottage have a Ranger 6x6. The thing is a tank. He's had no problems with his, and I've had no problems with our 2 Polaris ATV's. They are solid machine for the price.

The Can-Am Defender would be worth a look also. They start pretty cheap.

Another option if you didn't need to carry 3 people would be an Can-Am Outlander 6x6 or a Sportsman 6x6. You can do everything that a UTV can do just with a little more manoeuvrability. And cheaper.

Thanks for the tip in the Can-Am, there's a dealer in Peterborough so I'll check them out this weekend.

As for the suggestions about getting an old pickup...I though about it but it's too big, I have about 45 acres of bush that I'd like to access and even a small pickup would be too large. As for an ATV I think that would be undersized; I pull an old haywagon that when loaded is 1500-2000 pounds.

How about an Argo?

Towing 2000 lbs? Argos are seriously underpowered just dragging themselves around.

Edit:

As you seem to be focused solely on utility, I would recommend looking at small tractors as well. They go pretty much anywhere and the bucket and 3 point hitch can come in very handy (you can easily add attachments like sprayers to cleanup poison ivy or brushhogs to knock down the weeds).

Obviously the tractor gives you somewhat of a seating problem. I spent many years standing on the 3 point hitch while headed out into the woods, alternatively, you can put the passengers in the trailer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom