Good Spots to Ride to in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good Spots to Ride to in Ontario

catzo

Starting a new job in a couple weeks, decided to quit my current job a couple weeks early and spend some time riding.

I'm going to spend probably at least a week on the road, I'm looking for some cool spots to ride to in Ontario, I want to take in the sights and nature. Can be north of toronto or southern ontario, doesn't matter, just can't be in the states.

Nice campgrounds with some good hiking, or cool small towns, scenic spots, or even just some good riding roads. I can probably fit a small tent on the bike and spend some nights at a campground, or at a bed and breakfast/hotel whatever if I need to.

Any suggestions? I hear algonquin has some nice spots? But that would only cover a day or two.

Muskoka was my go to spot. The more North you go, the better. Less police and less straight roads.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Grundy Lake campground is excellent as has great roads in the area north of Parry Sound.
Go check out screaming heads in Midlothian.
Riverbank RV and Cottages is in Wilberforce and is a beautiful spot with great hosts and excellent riding all around it.
Go and check out Manitoulin Island and then exit the north end of the island and ride along the north shore of Lake Superior out to Thunder Bay - there are excellent sights and campgrounds along the way.

Also check the sticky in this forum for more routes.

Last edited:
Manitoulin was a good place for a week. Not very twisty but scenic & relaxing

Thanks guys! Didn't expect so many good suggestions so quickly.

Pennsylvania.

Do you know any good smuggling routes because I'm legally not allowed across the border. Hence why I said not in the states lol ;p

The best riding in the province IMO is in eastern Ontario.
From Kingston, take Perth Rd. north. Nice and twisty to Westport.
When you hit Hwy 7 at Perth, go straight through onto Hwy. 511. This is another twisty ride.
511 will take you to 508, the Calabogie loop. A favourite among riders from Ottawa.
From there, follow Matthew's advice and ride around Barry's Bay.
There is also a ride called the Nipissing ghost trail which I haven't done yet.
The details are available online in many sites.
All could be done easily in a week.

Last edited:
A week is going to fly by (its already Thursday here). Ontario is huge. I don't know how continental you are so I'll assume the worst which is the best because everything will be fresh. Being from Niagara area I would suggest a ferry ride from Tobermory. At the dock you'll likely be the only non Harley. Unless you ride a Harley. Go to the western end of Manitoulin, Meldrum Bay. It's like going back in time. Then head up to Espanola and hang a sharp right. Yes there's good riding to the left but time. Go east of Algonquin Park, go west of Algonquin Park into Muskoka. It's all good. My advice: don't plan to hard. Pick the days route that morning and be open to change it on the fly. Good luck and cheers.

ps this is exciting

Last edited:
Sweet thanks guys!

Any recommendations on places/campgrounds (that are relatively motorcycle accesible) to stay along the way?

A week is going to fly by (its already Thursday here). Ontario is huge. I don't know how continental you are so I'll assume the worst which is the best because everything will be fresh. Being from Niagara area I would suggest a ferry ride from Tobermory. At the dock you'll likely be the only non Harley. Unless you ride a Harley. Go to the western end of Manitoulin, Meldrum Bay. It's like going back in time. Then head up to Espanola and hang a sharp right. Yes there's good riding to the left but time. Go east of Algonquin Park, go west of Algonquin Park into Muskoka. It's all good. My advice: don't plan to hard. Pick the days route that morning and be open to change it on the fly. Good luck and cheers.

ps this is exciting
Don't forget Killarney too, a natural wonder

Don't forget Killarney too, a natural wonder

My gf is working in killarney for the summer so I'll be avoiding that whole area....

Kidding, it was always going to be one of the stops haha :p

I think I'm just going to book a day pass for a bunch of parks around ontario and go to a different one each day. Unless you can't book those ahead of time. Havent gotten that far yet haha.
Except probably 1 night at killarney with the gf and 1 night in kingston at a friends place just to get a good shower.

Last edited:
The best riding in the province IMO is in eastern Ontario.
From Kingston, take Perth Rd. north. Nice and twisty to Westport.
When you hit Hwy 7 at Perth, go straight through onto Hwy. 511. This is another twisty ride.

Agreed on that. My cottage is out that way. Great, quiet, cop-free roads for 100's of kilometres.

Have you guys ever had a problem finding food or gas that far up north? I might have room for a little cooler but that still means finding ice every day.

Have you guys ever had a problem finding food or gas that far up north? I might have room for a little cooler but that still means finding ice every day.
The only problem is things close after sundown or before. If you want to start early the next day make sure you fill up on gas, grab dinner before taking a shower & relaxing.

YMMV

I guess you guys missed the part in the original post where he said he didn't want the go to the US.

I don't think they mentioned anywhere that's James Bay North where you might have issues but everywhere I've tootled around there's always been a gas station somewhere (eventually) with food or a corner store. For rides in Ontario I agree about the Calabogie/Barry's Bay area. A little further south one of my favourite rides is around Mazinaw Lake where Bon Echo Park is. On the Northern and eastern sides of the lake there's lots to explore and at the northern end you can head off to Bancroft and up to Algonquin. The Picton area is nice to ride around and a visit to Sandbanks is always good if it's a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom