Good Spots to Ride to in Ontario | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good Spots to Ride to in Ontario

I don't think they mentioned anywhere that's James Bay North where you might have issues but everywhere I've tootled around there's always been a gas station somewhere (eventually) with food or a corner store. For rides in Ontario I agree about the Calabogie/Barry's Bay area. A little further south one of my favourite rides is around Mazinaw Lake where Bon Echo Park is. On the Northern and eastern sides of the lake there's lots to explore and at the northern end you can head off to Bancroft and up to Algonquin. The Picton area is nice to ride around and a visit to Sandbanks is always good if it's a nice day.

Just south of Bon Echo, you pass Flinton Road. It is an awesome driving road (haven't road on it, yet). Relatively quiet when the cottage traffic is gone, and has some really nice corners and straights. Most fun I have driving is on that road. I just try not to do anything too stupid to piss off the people who live there.

Just got back from Terra Nova, real nice road there. 16km of twisties

I agree! Terra Nova to Horning Mills is great. I also live up in Tiny Township and the ride from Wasaga Beach to Penetanguishene along Tiny Beaches Road which borders Nottawasaga Bay all around to Georgian Bay in Pentang/Midland is great area. Very little traffic during the week too.

Don't forget Killarney too, a natural wonder

I'm sure it is but I don't care. I'm not going on the ride. I'm just here to give directions.

Carry a can of gas replacement (like Magic Tank) with you. Way up north, gas stations will be fewer and farther between and closing earlier.

You might find the road into Killarney pretty rough.....not torn up just quite bumpy depending on your ride. Mind you I was in my work van. Also watch out for construction stoppages around French River bridge...one lane at the moment.

You might find the road into Killarney pretty rough.....not torn up just quite bumpy depending on your ride. Mind you I was in my work van. Also watch out for construction stoppages around French River bridge...one lane at the moment.

Good to know, thanks! The road conditions are probably my main concern. I don't want to get stuck riding half hour through a dirt trail to get to the campsite. I don't mind rough roads, but I want to avoid dirt and gravel.

I've tried to call some sites to see how motorcycle friendly they are but havent got any good responses, looks like im probably going to have to figure that out on my own. Oh well.

Unless anybody has some last minute tips.

I'm going to head out on wednesday

Last edited:
Bring a crushed pop can or something to use as a kickstand plate if you should need to park your bike in a sandy area.

Bring a spare set of keys.

Bring a crushed pop can or something to use as a kickstand plate if you should need to park your bike in a sandy area.

Thats a really good idea, hadnt thought of that thanks!

If you drink frozen concentrated orange juice (or similar), I find the tops of the cans work really well. I typically keep them and throw 1-2 in my jacket and maybe 5-6 in my tailbag, in case I am riding with anyone else and they need one, or I forget it at the side of the road.

minute-maid-lemonade-iced-25115.jpg

If you want to get fancy, I've also heard some places in the Ontario Highlands are giving away free wooden pucks...almost tempted to go out to grab one, although I'd hate to lose it or get it stolen in comparison.

stand-on-pad.jpg

https://ridethehighlands.wordpress....-after-handcrafted-motorcycle-kick-stand-pad/

2016 link with locations: http://ridethehighlands.ca/en/storypage/kickstand-pads/27

Last edited:
...or get a sidestand plate off fleabay or pay for the fancy SW Motech, Givi or Touratech ones from a dealer or website. This way you never have to worry about having a sidestand enlarger with you.

Just south of Bon Echo, you pass Flinton Road. It is an awesome driving road (haven't road on it, yet). Relatively quiet when the cottage traffic is gone, and has some really nice corners and straights. Most fun I have driving is on that road. I just try not to do anything too stupid to piss off the people who live there.

So I did this road in both directions today for ***** and giggles and I have to say it's not bad. It's got a great surface, very little gravel anywhere and some nice linked curves and very little traffic. It's not as good or as long as Arden Rd (I took MacDoc on that one) but then again the surface on Arden Rd is pretty crappy in places. Where this road will be great is if I'm heading west towards Tweed and Madoc and don't want to take highway 7 as it ends up on Highway 7 a lot further west than Kaladar.

So I did this road in both directions today for ***** and giggles and I have to say it's not bad. It's got a great surface, very little gravel anywhere and some nice linked curves and very little traffic. It's not as good or as long as Arden Rd (I took MacDoc on that one) but then again the surface on Arden Rd is pretty crappy in places. Where this road will be great is if I'm heading west towards Tweed and Madoc and don't want to take highway 7 as it ends up on Highway 7 a lot further west than Kaladar.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's had about 1/3 of the road redone over the last 4 years, so that's a plus. Never been on Arden Road before, so I couldn't compare the two.

I take Flinton Road usually twice a week in the summer on the way up to the cottage. Only ever see cops on the road when there's a big drunk driving campaign push which they seem to do every couple years. Just a heads up if this is the summer for it haha

You really have to try Arden Rd, it's one of the best roads for miles around. Start in Tamworth if doing it south to north. It has elevation changes and curves galore. One slow section in the village of Arden. If you have a dual sport you can take any of the side roads for some off road/ gravel road fun too. Great scenery too, lakes and woods.

Back
Top Bottom