Question Regarding my downshifting rev matching technique | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question Regarding my downshifting rev matching technique

Hi Guys,

Im just curious if I have my downshifting technique correct,

When I go from let's say 4th gear to Third, I Pull in the clutch, shift down a gear, blip the throttle and let the clutch out, Is this correct? or do I have to blip the throttle before I shift down a gear so the sequence would be, pull in the clutch, blip the throttle, shift down a gear and let the clutch out? Ive been doing it the other way where I blip the throttle right before I let the clutch out. What are your thoughts on this and how do you guys rev match?

I think I generally do all three at about the same time; as the clutch is coming in I'm blipping and downshifting basically all at once. Really key is release the clutch smoothly; if you muck up the rev match you can get a lurch or a bit of a rear wheel upset (unless you've got a slipper clutch...) if the clutch lever is released abruptly.

I think I generally do all three at about the same time; as the clutch is coming in I'm blipping and downshifting basically all at once. Really key is release the clutch smoothly; if you muck up the rev match you can get a lurch or a bit of a rear wheel upset (unless you've got a slipper clutch...) if the clutch lever is released abruptly.

I also see videos of guys blipping and then just releasing the clutch right away, do you have to slowly release the clutch? Or can you just release it right away, I'm currently just releasing the clutch out right away after the blip is done and I get a smooth shift, but Im not sure if this is the correct and technique and i have to let it out slower?

You had it right.

Roll off gas/pull clutch in. Downshift, quick shot of gas and smoothly release clutch. Back on gas.

You can be quick about letting the clutch out, key is being smooth. If you just let go of clutch lever you can get the jerkiness.

You had it right.

Roll off gas/pull clutch in. Downshift, quick shot of gas and smoothly release clutch. Back on gas.

You can be quick about letting the clutch out, key is being smooth. If you just let go of clutch lever you can get the jerkiness.

Okay perfect, Ive seen videos of people blipping the throttle before shifting down and that doesnt make much sense to me because wouldnt the revs have already dropped by the time you let the clutch out?

When down-shifting, I pull in the clutch, give a blip on the throttle (this spins up the gear carrier in the trans, so it will slip into a higher ratio gear, without a clunk), shift down and then do rev match thing, as you're letting out the clutch. If you ever spent any time in a car/truck, that had a non-sychro trans and you had to "double-clutch", to shift (you'd have to be old) you would understand the reason for this. Different trannys, but the principal is similar.

You got it.
Maybe bike specific, but if I put moderate pressure on the shift lever, the second the clutch passes the engagement point, the tranny slips right into gear.

Combined with the simultaneous throttle blip, perfect downshift.
Once you have it down without the brake lever, try while braking, and remember to only use the fingertip-pads on the brake lever and you're golden.

When down-shifting, I pull in the clutch, give a blip on the throttle (this spins up the gear carrier in the trans, so it will slip into a higher ratio gear, without a clunk), shift down and then do rev match thing, as you're letting out the clutch. If you ever spent any time in a car/truck, that had a non-sychro trans and you had to "double-clutch", to shift (you'd have to be old) you would understand the reason for this. Different trannys, but the principal is similar.

This !!! I do exactly this and i am a new driver (just under 2000km under my belt) and i never get this into my muscle memory until i went up north. Go up and take side road 20/ River Road and there were no cars and no one. i was nervous at first but eventually mastered it

Back
Top Bottom