Mechanic recommendation - Barrie | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mechanic recommendation - Barrie

Dave L

My KLX250 with 37,000km on it is making a hell of a noise. Its lived a tough life so far, when do these engines typically need to be rebuilt?

St Onge looked at it previously and I cant say I was very impressed. 3 weeks, $300 and they didnt solve the problem. Anyone else?

St Onge looked at it previously and I cant say I was very impressed. 3 weeks, $300 and they didnt solve the problem. Anyone else?

What did or didn't they do that cost $300 ? Did you speak to the owner Steve about the bill ?

I have been told to bring it to John Nelson at St Onge as he is part of the Dirt / Motocross crew. Hopefully they can set it straight.

Last edited:
They "adjusted" the automatic cam chain tensioner which did quiet it down but it seems even worse now. I also asked that they adjust the valves but they didnt even list any parts despite the fact that its a bucket over shim design - if they did adjust them they would have needed to use new shims. To me it seemed like all they did was reset the tensioner but at that point late in the season all I wanted was the bike back so I could ride again.

If they checked the valve clearances and just 'swapped out' the shims there likely wouldn't be any charge for parts.
I repeat, take your copy of the work order and go talk to Steve St. Onge the owner.

I haven't messed around with the KLX but my buddy wants to buy one. A single cylinder thumper should be easy to work on, i'd be happy to help you if you wish.

Let me know, send me a pm or something.

Bring it back to them & voice your concern

I live 20 minutes north of Barrie. I have a DRZ400 (the big brother of that one...maybe cousin?) Anyway, I can have a look too if you want. Maybe it's something simple.

I dropped it off this morning at St Onge with John, he ran the old Machine Racing shop and a lot of his guys came with him. They did look up the old St Onge work order and it was actually 2 years ago and not last fall as I thought I remembered. This would mean an extra 10k or so on the engine. No Matter - they are going to look at it and let me know what needs to be done. Thanks for the recommendations and offers guys.

Back
Top Bottom