Got my first ticket... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got my first ticket...

What is the point of having a 300 KPH machine when you can't do more than 100? Might as well go to a strip joint wearing a blindfold.

What's the point of having a firearms license if you can't shoot random objects on the street, and have to go to a 'range' instead?

If you want to go 300, take it to the track. Just because you choose to buy a 1000 SS bike, doesn't mean you can try to max it out anywhere you want. Well actually you can, but you better like tickets and potentially winning the Darwin Award that year.

But you can go 300KPH, It's called "Track Days".
Highways is not people's personal track playground, it's a highway with lots of cars and traffic and lots of times, ****** road conditions.

^ This.

Last edited:
Every time I've been pulled over for speeding it has been times when I was just going with the flow of traffic and was paying more attention to my surroundings than my speedo and I was just creeping over.

Not an excuse at all but just an odd observation.

Count yourself lucky. I never managed to get a ticket on my first crotch rocket. Maybe it would have slowed me down. Instead, I crashed badly at 200km+, when I was 18. Young, stupid, completely my fault. Figured I knew it all, since I grew up on dirt bikes.

Slotted a high speed pass trying to beat oncoming traffic, instead of just applying the brakes, on a long sweeping corner on an old country 2 lane road, and ran into a poor piece of pavement, combined with a bad heave in the road. Ended up more than 100 feet from the road in a swamp. I figure the swamp is the only reason, I didn't seriously damage myself, as I went headfirst into about a foot of water and muck, after ripping off the handlebars with my legs. Somehow, I ended up, with my head out of the water. The bruises on my legs were ungodly. Didn't break a single bone except my nose, but lots of soft tissue damage. When I woke up, I thought I was dying, it hurt so bad. As well, I was constantly coughing up blood, which didn't do the bruised ribs any favours.

Still paying for it, with neck problems, almost 30 years later. I take full responsibility for my own young stupidity. The only part that still pisses me off, is both the car that I passed, and the oncoming car, kept right on driving. I had to crawl to the side of the road, where a good samaritan stopped to help me.

I keep all of my fun, within the speed of normal traffic flow now.

If I ever get the urge to go that fast again. I'll be visiting a track.

wow man... scary. Glad you were able to make it out relatively uninjured. I have always wanted a sport bike but just know myself too well and decided to stay away from them... at least for the time being.

Last edited:
Well... with another type of bike you might enjoy it more.
On my 500, at 110-120 im usually in 4-5th if im "going at it" or 6th if im cruising around

If you went for a non ss bike in that range (650s, duke 690, fz7, etc) You might be able to use more gears while still having decent power.

But thats why i got the 500, to keep me in check, because i love speed and as these are my first years riding, i know i'll want to test the limits of the bike. Itll still got 170+ (up to 180) but in order to get there, i gotta wring it good and be very committed to get there.

Got me a 15 over ticket today, reduced from 24 over. Was passing and didn't see the cop. There's a R code for reduced on my ticket, guess there's no point in fighting it?

Got a woman into riding last year, and had more fun booting around city traffic on the ZZR250 I picked out & certified for her than I woulda thought. Great on gas too, while still (allegedly) topping out around 140km/h on a 400 series. Liked it so much I might pick one out for myself soon.

There's also nakeds & motards if you can't resist the occasional hooning, plus they're great on Ontario's **** roads.

More fun riding a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow is what most say.

I catch myself unintentionally speeding every now and then, but it's usually those that make a habit of it that end up in trouble.

Keep in mind... You're the only one who thinks it's cool to scream along a public road at speeds in excess of the posted limit...
Everyone else who sees you is thinking... "what an a-hole"

It's Ontario, if you ride you're going to get tickets eventually. Don't think I've ever gotten a speeding ticket on the bike, but over the years I've gotten fistfuls of minor & admin tickets.
First ticket I ever got was two weeks into owning my first bike. License plate bulb burnt out. At 2pm in the afternoon. Because "just because I didn't catch you now doesn't mean you don't look like you won't do something later".

Swine in Ontario and nothing but unionized quota filling swivel serpents, and bikes are a magnet for them. And there's always something they can pull out of their arse (or the HTA) to write a bike up for. Tread depth, license plate relocated (even if it's in the stock location), blinkers, exhaust, two bikes parked in the same spot is failure to drive in marked lane...just sampling of the BS I've been cited for over the years. Hell the highest paid cop in Toronto was citing bikes with seperate high/low headlights for having burnt out bulbs.

The question as presented can't be fully answered without a proper psychological work up of the subject. All speeding is not the same nor are the motivations. People are wired differently, within a spectrum granted. A lay person may ask "are you trying to show off"? Depending on your profile that may be offensive to you or merely confusing. Another angle to consider would be the act of controlling a machine. Some wankers find a great work around is to ride small machines hard. It's like kicking the cat rather than riding a bull. It's a mind game. Know thyself.

Got me a 15 over ticket today, reduced from 24 over. Was passing and didn't see the cop. There's a R code for reduced on my ticket, guess there's no point in fighting it?
You "could" still try, but I wouldn't bother. The best you'll usually get from the crown is a reduction to 15 over. It's a small fine and no points I believe.
Basically the cop gave you the best deal the crown would've, he/she just did it roadside.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

You "could" still try, but I wouldn't bother. The best you'll usually get from the crown is a reduction to 15 over. It's a small fine and no points I believe.
Basically the cop gave you the best deal the crown would've, he/she just did it roadside.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

If he tries to fight it, the Crown is likely to amend the ticket up to the actual 24-over, and then seek conviction on that higher rate of speed.

Just track the bike and leave the road to the cage. Or get yourself a cruiser.

My Harley feels like it's going 200 kph when it's just over 120 kph.

I've never had a ticket on the HD.

I've been stopped on my Buell and my tickets come from speed traps in the city and when I'm driving brain dead and should have known better.

In all seriousness, a cruiser isn't fun on the 400 series. I'd rather the cage.

My Ninja 500 or Buell could cruise at plus 150 kph Effortlessly. Sold the Kawi and the Buell is parked.

If I want speed, it will be a track bike. Or bicycle. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just track the bike and leave the road to the cage. Or get yourself a cruiser.

My Harley feels like it's going 200 kph when it's just over 120 kph.

I've never had a ticket on the HD.

I've been stopped on my Buell and my tickets come from speed traps in the city and when I'm driving brain dead and should have known better. And only in the cage I might add.

In all seriousness, a cruiser isn't fun on the 400 series. I'd rather the cage.

My Ninja 500 or Buell could cruise at plus 150 kph Effortlessly. Sold the Kawi and the Buell is parked.

If I want speed, it will be a track bike. Or bicycle. Lol.

In my humble opinion, if you can't obey the traffic laws within a reasonable margin (our opinions of them, don't matter) then riding/driving may not be the best choice. Virtually any motorized vehicle on the road today can greatly surpass the speed limit, being a responsible rider/driver is the key. While we can all see the thousands of idiots on the road, don't forget they feel the same way about us.

Do you ever get that crushing sensation in your chest like you're about to have a heart attack? Because you're following another car doing the exact speed limit or worse, 10 over. If 30 over feels normal then there really is no cure except time and maturity. Also many tickets. Riding should be fun not an exercise in self restraint. Maybe approach the problem from a different angle. Get a Harley. Keep one eye on the road the other between a floorboard and frame rail. With the ground whipping by close like that it'll feel plenty fast and you'll meet HTA of keeping an eye on the road ahead. I tried that in a rental go-kart. It works a treat.

Back
Top Bottom