Got my first ticket... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got my first ticket...

dsibs

Been 4 years riding and got my first ticket. Not a question of how it works or what you can do... Rather, how do guys ride within speed limitations...?
Myself, I just can help but crank that throttle at times when the lane is clear for 3km and there's only 2 cars in the middle lane...
My question is..how do you guys control yourself and only stay a safe 110km/120km on a straight away with no danger in front of you??
Can you with hold the urge?
After getting my ticket I'm unsure if I can stay within speed limits when a clear and undangerous path with no obstacles is presented...
I've never put anyone else in danger, even the cop that gave me the ticket said I wasn't wreck less and was happy that pulled over.
Should I just sell the bike because I have the need for speed? or is there a way to feel satisfied at 120km in 2nd gear out of 6 gears?
Still want to ride, just not sure if I can risk it
3 points, 25 over in a 90, which I thought was a 100 limit.

Fair enough, couldn't agree more, which is how I've stayed 4 years clean... Always had a hunch I'd pay for it one day..

Guess my question to sum it up is.. Is it always risk management? Or is there a way to enjoy the ride without substantially breaking the law?
Found my self bored riding at 110km with cars passing me on the way home today after the ticket... Perhaps it was just the frustrating ticket on my mind though, or the fact there was no point shifting into 3rd

Do a runaround of the road you wanna speed on, if there aren't police or people you'll put in danger pull a uey and gun it. Ezpz works every time.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Common highway speed is at least 120. 130-140 when open. Only slower during rush hour.... or when all the rest slow down when there is fishing going on. Go with the flow.

Use Wase app on the bike if you can to locate all kinds of road hazards and cops and do some track days for the urge.

Count yourself lucky. I never managed to get a ticket on my first crotch rocket. Maybe it would have slowed me down. Instead, I crashed badly at 200km+, when I was 18. Young, stupid, completely my fault. Figured I knew it all, since I grew up on dirt bikes.

Slotted a high speed pass trying to beat oncoming traffic, instead of just applying the brakes, on a long sweeping corner on an old country 2 lane road, and ran into a poor piece of pavement, combined with a bad heave in the road. Ended up more than 100 feet from the road in a swamp. I figure the swamp is the only reason, I didn't seriously damage myself, as I went headfirst into about a foot of water and muck, after ripping off the handlebars with my legs. Somehow, I ended up, with my head out of the water. The bruises on my legs were ungodly. Didn't break a single bone except my nose, but lots of soft tissue damage. When I woke up, I thought I was dying, it hurt so bad. As well, I was constantly coughing up blood, which didn't do the bruised ribs any favours.

Still paying for it, with neck problems, almost 30 years later. I take full responsibility for my own young stupidity. The only part that still pisses me off, is both the car that I passed, and the oncoming car, kept right on driving. I had to crawl to the side of the road, where a good samaritan stopped to help me.

I keep all of my fun, within the speed of normal traffic flow now.

If I ever get the urge to go that fast again. I'll be visiting a track.

Buy a 125/250. Much slower but still fun.
personally, I don't like riding SS bikes on the street, they hate going slow (ie anything approaching speed limits).

Maturity? Self-control? Being acutely aware of the potential consequences (health, financial etc) of misbehavior?

There are places around Toronto which are well known speed traps.
One I see often is on Bayview under the Bloor St. viaduct.
There seems to be a cop with radar there most times I ride by.
Because of the bridge support and the curve in the road, you can't see him until you are right on top of him.
I do the speed limit here each time I go by because the odds are he will be there.
I guess what I'm asking is did you learn anything from the ticket?
Do you still speed on the same section of highway where you got caught?
Speed cops tend to be creatures of habit. They generally stick to the same places.

Last edited:
...Should I just sell the bike because I have the need for speed? or is there a way to feel satisfied at 120km in 2nd gear out of 6 gears?
Still want to ride, just not sure if I can risk it
3 points, 25 over in a 90, which I thought was a 100 limit.

120kph in 2nd gear seems excessively ridiculous to me.

You could bank some money every year to plan for it and think of the ticket as a yearly expense, though this could get very expensive. The ticket is not that expensive, the increase in insurance premium can really hurt in the long run.

or buy a non-SS bike.

Maturity? Self-control? Being acutely aware of the potential consequences (health, financial etc) of misbehavior?

This imo. Time and a place for everything really, and you always have to weigh pros vs cons -- Yes, maybe it will be fun to ride a little faster for x amount of time, but you might end up paying for it financially for years afterwards. This is also why it dumbfounds me when people get caught doing 55 over...if they were even 10 slower it is the difference between a major and a minor if convicted.

What really sucks though is when you get singled out and pulled over for doing traffic speed on something like the DVP, 400 series, 115/35 etc, which happens to be around 20 over posted. What makes matters worse is if you actually did the posted limit you'd be run over from behind (or pulled over for impeding traffic).

More to the OP question, once you have been riding a while (and get a bit older), you'll likely learn going in a straight line is no fun no matter the speed, so might as well keep it to the speed of others and not get caught. Also you're not doing your bike any favours if you are riding around at 120km/h in 2nd gear...figure that's pretty high in the rev range even for a 1000 SS bike. Not saying high revs are bad for them, but why maintain high revs when you have 4 more gears to choose from (esp when just going in a straight line and a constant speed).

Last edited:
Also you're not doing your bike any favours if you are riding around at 120km/h in 2nd gear...figure that's pretty high in the rev range even for a 1000 SS bike.

Huh?? 600SS should be ~150 km/h (indicated) at redline in 2nd. 1000 should be about the same speed at redline in 1st. Nobody wears out bikes in Ontario anyway (other than Hyo 250's), they get crashed before they get tired.

op I can attest as of last week there is never a "completely clear" stretch with no danger. i got hit by a goose that took offense to me being on the roadway and decided to attack. he flew into my windshield. still in hospital despite it being a slow 30 km/h crash. certainly being a former copper the odds are stacked heavily in your favor of not getting caught, but as the other rider who crashed at 18 that is the real danger.

Huh?? 600SS should be ~150 km/h (indicated) at redline in 2nd. 1000 should be about the same speed at redline in 1st. Nobody wears out bikes in Ontario anyway (other than Hyo 250's), they get crashed before they get tired.

I'm not saying what they hit red at in each gear...I'm saying you'd be an idiot to cruise on the 401 at 12,000rpm in 2nd when you have 4 more forward gears above that. Even my CBR650F will do 90 in first, but that doesn't mean I'm still in first gear if I am doing 80km/h and not accelerating.

Again, not saying a bike can't go up to the redline (or close to it) when accelerating, but once you are done there is no reason on earth not to shift into a higher gear, when riding on the street.

Last edited:
What is the point of having a 300 KPH machine when you can't do more than 100? Might as well go to a strip joint wearing a blindfold.

Any idiot can go fast in a straight line...remember that and save it for the corners.

What is the point of having a 300 KPH machine when you can't do more than 100? Might as well go to a strip joint wearing a blindfold.

But you can go 300KPH, It's called "Track Days".
Highways is not people's personal track playground, it's a highway with lots of cars and traffic and lots of times, ****** road conditions.

Back
Top Bottom