Buying a beater bicycle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a beater bicycle

Speaking of bicycles.An old friend of mine holds a show every year in Brantford.It's really cool to see some of the old 70's stuff and evern really old vintage bikes.http://canadianvintagebicycleshow.com/index.html
2016bikeshowposter.jpg

Thanx Wingboy. Always nice to have a destination for the Sunday motorcycle toodle.

My wife and i might go down there on the wing.I have the Grand Prix de Mud on the saturday.But i'll try.Maybe cya there.

I'll be on a mangled DR650. White in colour.

Can you convert any bike to hydraulic disc brakes?

You need the mounting points on the frame/fork to attach the callipers and wheel hubs that can take discs.
If it already has cable discs, you can change to hydraulic. If you have rim brakes without the mounting points, I can't imagine it being a cost effective upgrade.

Can you share some makes and models?

All of them. You can find some gems with misspelled names and poorly listed ads. Old GF's bike was stolen and she asked me to find her something. Told her to hang tight and I'd pull a rabbit out of my hat. Found an ad on kijiji. "Mountain bicycle. New Brooks seat. $140." w. a small grainy picture. I knew exactly from the font on the almost illegible name on the down tube what it was. Swapped the seat out for a WSD seat for her and sold the Brooks for $100. Net cost, $40 for a Prestige framed Brodie Rocket w. XT/LX parts.

3F80A917-A0AC-4DC6-AE3D-050FE7E677A3-318-000000030FA70DD5_zpsd5b22d7a.jpg

Bikes that next to no one has heard of. Heard of Paramount? It was Schwinn's high end division. No one knows that outside of bike people (80s and 90s Waterford built Paramount road bikes fetch big $$$ on ebay). Series 70 PDG w. maybe 10 hours of use on it. Prestige frame w. full XT parts and the original KOM tires. $200.

P1_zps98dd5f59.jpg

There's deals out there if your smart and patient.

There's deals out there if your smart and patient.

Okay, but without taking on a whole new hobby and reading and researching out my ying yang, how do I know what is good and what is crap other than avoiding supercycle, ccm, or other Canadian Tire or Walmart sold brands?

I have no interest in learning about all of the good bikes, and I only know to look for kona, trek, specialized... but then I still have no idea what is a decent price.

Anyway, for me it likely doesn't matter because I will likely just hang onto my old Peugeot for another few years... but just curious.

Speaking of beater bike advice, I have had the same bike for 20 years now... bought a Canadian made Peugeot Nature back in 1996 from Braun's Cycle in Kitchener, I think for around $600.

How does that bike fair in the eyes of those who know about bicycles?

It still works fairly decently, although could probably stand to have some of the components upgraded.

It looks like this, but mine is a different colour and no suspension:

PEUG_NAT_AsFnd_Full_Side_1.jpg

Low end post Procycle buyout Peugeot. Unless you're talking the collectible boutique, low volume, hand built frames and parts, old mountain bikes aren't worth much. Replace what's worn out with cheap Shimano replacement parts and ride it.

Last edited:
Can you convert any bike to hydraulic disc brakes?

Yes.

Unless you're doing it to something that's rare/unique/$$$ and can justify putting the time/money/effort into doing it, it's not worth it.

ih6_zpsc248791f.jpg

I'd just buy a new bike

I know someone who has a few older but nice bikes, she has mountain and hybrids - good prices like around $150 or so. New tires etc tuned up.

PM me if you want their contact. Clarkson area.

I'll be on a mangled DR650. White in colour.
Also: riding dirty

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom