This and That | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

This and That

I stopped in to Canadian gas BBQ in Vaughn friday, my "last BBQ you will ever need to buy" is on its last legs. It was a replacement for "the last BBq I would ever need" .
You can spend 30k on a gas grill in there. It would need to come with 3 acres and 15 head of beef for that price tag.

The only "last one of anything you would ever need" I can think of is a coffin. Almost everything wears out.

I stopped in to Canadian gas BBQ in Vaughn friday, my "last BBQ you will ever need to buy" is on its last legs. It was a replacement for "the last BBq I would ever need" .
You can spend 30k on a gas grill in there. It would need to come with 3 acres and 15 head of beef for that price tag.

The concept of a lifetime bbq seems simple. Get some heavy gauge stainless tubing and drill holes in it, there, lifetime burners are complete. Louver and bend up some 12 ga stainless heat deflectors, done. The box normally survives already (minus the paint flaking). Eventually, things like the sparker will die, but they are just commodity parts and easily replaced.

Manufacturers must actively be trying to avoid building it to keep the cycle going. It doesn't matter how much you pay for a bbq, I haven't seen one with anything thicker than about 18 ga (and normally less) for the burners and deflectors. If it gets to the point where you need to replace all burner and deflectors, they want close to the price of a bbq.

I have a really old Natural Gas Weber on the back deck, that the wife wants to get rid of, but it works fine. I just replaced the flavourizer bars, as they were rotted out. We should probably take better care of it.

Manufacturers must actively be trying to avoid building it to keep the cycle going. It doesn't matter how much you pay for a bbq, I haven't seen one with anything thicker than about 18 ga (and normally less) for the burners and deflectors. If it gets to the point where you need to replace all burner and deflectors, they want close to the price of a bbq.

I own one of these:

LG900_Customer_Home_1024x1024.JPG

14 ga steel. It's an absolute tank.

No burners as it's wood fired. The pellet auger is stainless steel, the firebox grate is also stainless (and around 10ga if I'm not mistaken) and the electronics are rock solid Auber based. They have a long track record of being rock solid with the automatic igniter being about the only part that wears out and may need replacement every 5-10 years.

Canadian company, too.

we have an assortment of charcoal/wood/propane grills for different occasions, might be a fetish.

I just want a natural gas grill so on tuesday night i'm grilling some chicken, fridge to plate in 30mins. I bought a Ducane 25yrs ago when it was American made and it lasted 12yrs (was advertised as lifetime) , company sold , production went to china, warranty died with the company sale. Bought a commercial version of BroilKing, in 10 yrs its had deflectors , grills , baffles replaced, box is rotted out. Have been using a Magna as interim , its pretty good but small.

So the debate is, I would like to buy a Crown Verity, heavy gauge stainless, burners like a foundry. But its $3,000. My wife says that's 3 Webers , she would like to go with a Weber and if needed get another in a decade. Shes much more practical and without doubt smarter.

What say the enlightened group?

Weber....sold mine in a moving sale
was 12 years old, had replaced nothing
the igniter even still worked

@crankcall correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Crown Verity production moved offshore as well? Neighbour bought one at their "friends and family scratch and dent sale" maybe 10 yrs ago. Got one for $500. Still going strong. Only issue was a few years ago there was a massive wind storm. He has a wide open backyard. Toppled the bbq and broke some knobs.
...but anyway, I thought they shut down Canadian operations, as his contact was laid off and therefore no more deals. I may however only heard half the story, as I may have been in a self induced steak, corn and beer coma during the telling of said story.

Oh, and with the exception of replacing burners because of my negligence in care, and the aforementioned wheel issue, the Nexgrill from Costco seemed to be a steal for the price. Only real downside is it's a little small for my family.
Years ago in the Costco Connection, one of the buyers was touting how they still source thicker steel for their bbqs, where others have gone thinner. The Kirkland line may also be worth a look if they still sell them. My parents have one. Massive. Easily cook for our family (parents, my family + the families of my 4 siblings) and was iirc $1400. Add a couple$$ for NG conversion (store only sold LP, not sure about online) and that has to be at least 8 years old and still going.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Last edited:
Crown Verity did "offshore" the sourcing of some components, stainless steel is almost free in china for some reason. That may have lead to the fellow you knew being downsized. They still make parts and assemble in Brantford ont. They seem very well made and a lot of catering companies spec them.

But it may be one of those wants vs needs things. Common sense may kick in and I'll just get the Weber.

@joe, I have a Nexgrill from Costco we use with the RV , its been really good for the time I've owned it. RV came with an RVQ which was a POS and lasted one dinner before I tossed it.

Well again, the one neighbour no issues. The other side has had the commercial type one he bought 15 years ago. Still going.
When this one goes, my wife has promised me the "outdoor kitchen" type ones that you see at HD or Lowe's. (the ON bbq ones at $30k+ are just a fantasy item for a guy like me) but I'd be looking at season's end when they are discounted. I would like to come in under $2k. Granite countertops. Fridge. Sink. I am concerned with the quality if the bbq itself, though.

A couple new 'this n that' issues a Casa Bass that I could use some GTAM help with...again my Google FU is weak.
1)(may have already asked, but revisiting this one) toilet upstairs seems to fill every hour or so. I changed the flapper as per google. Also made sure to set fill levels properly. Not a ballcock system, swappes out for a Fluidmaster replacement years ago. Still doing it. My water bill is stupid.
Also another toilet seems to leaking into the bowl as well....opened it up, and the seal between tank and bowl is deteriorating. So my next step on both toilets is to swap out those seals?

2) I know there is at least 1 hardscape expert on here, but what do you guys know about paver stones?
Time to pressure wash and then resand my stones. Weeds coming through. My dad says I have to use polymeric, but my brother says silica, as my joints are tight and polymeric won't work like it is supposed to.
They are both better at this sort of thing than I am. Advice?

Re: toilet issue

I assume you replaced the bad flapper with the correct size replacement?

When you replaced the flush valve with a fluidmaster yrs ago, did it fix the problem back then?

First, try dropping the water level a little lower in the tank. If that doesn't help, see below...

Currently, after you flush it, is it noisy when the tank is re-filling? If so, the fluidmaster flush valve is probably on the way out so may as well replace it.

If you swap the seals on both toilets and drop in new fluidmaster valves and new flappers, there is nothing left so that should solve the issue and give you peace of mind that they won't leak between tank and bowl and stop the toilet from running 24/7.

@robbo I matched up the sizes of the flapper before install.
Will try the lower water level first.
You make a good point though. If I have the tank off anyway, 2 more bolts is no big deal....
~$50 and I have 2 reconditioned toilets.
Thanks

about the only place it can leak into the bowl is the flapper, but a new flapper doesnt always work because the plastic thing it flaps onto can be scored, corroded or just not fit well anymore. It sucks but always change the whole flapper deal including the plastic spud portion and the tank to bowl seal while your in there.

That said if the fluidmaster is more than a year old the seal can get sour on it and the slider thing that stops the flow just doesnt fit tight. So it starts and runs a bit every few minutes and the excess goes down the plastic tube that the little hose thing fits into.

In my limited plumbing experince, because I friggin hate plumbing, its just as easy to take the whole thing apart and replace everything in one shot. Its $50 bucks and your done.

The stuff in our water , and lazy house wives that like that blue crap in the tank age rubber seals well before they should go.

An Italian asking mungacakes what to do with patio stones. Jesus tapdancing Christ, and your dad gave you the talk already? you want him to smack you just because?

An Italian asking mungacakes what to do with patio stones. Jesus tapdancing Christ, and your dad gave you the talk already? you want him to smack you just because?
Lmfao! I know I know
But the argument is srong in la famiglia with half on one side, half on the other. I wanna side with my brother on this one...but I might get a swift kick in the @$$ from papa

Joe, put some A535 on those tight joints to loosen them up lol !!!

Kill the weeds with non-selective weed killer (roundup or wipeout) and only use silica sand for joints tighter than 1/4 inch. Polymeric is only good for joints 1/4 inch and larger.

above is my pot of choice for large batching chili, thats a 5 burner stove its sitting on for perspective

@joe, your Longos comment. my wife grew up next door to Joe and Teressa Longo in Aldershot and was the babysitter for the kids. With her dark hair and perma tan she looked more Italian than the kids did. They would take her to family picnics and pass her off as a cousin.
From two small fruit stands the kids built some empire.

It was my wifes early adulthood that sent me to learn from Giuliano Bugialli, his claim to fame was teaching mario battali how to cook, had a couple TV shows, ran a cook school one in Italy and authored a few books on regional cuisine. He was relentless on 'authentic' . Wifey ( who does not boil water well) is pretty tolerant of my attempts at Italian fare.

Back
Top Bottom