This and That | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

This and That

Stone for me is again a lot of work imho. Those damn weeds inevitably grow through. See earlier post about walkway.

The other issue is that I want a walk-out. If I had to go down a few steps, I would probably not use it as much. To make a stone deck, raised, would have cost me $5k+ just in armorstone. I don't trust building any other type of retaining wall.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Well.

I've been at my place 13 years now. Family that owned this place before had a hard on for patio stones. Buried everywhere in my back yard. Random places, one or two stones. Very odd. I think they had a few patios (acre) and just dumped soil on top to get rid.

When I pull up the stones there is always weed backing underneath. When I first started ridding the yard of them I didn't realize it. I can eyeball the back yard and tell you where I've missed pulling up the tarp

Underlay is handy. If you want to keep cost down on a large area, just run strips where the ends meet...if you are doing the big slabs. Or strips of plastic. When I did an interlocking patio, I didn't bother. The spacing was tight enough that it was fine for years. Though eventually you will get the odd weed sprouting.

On a different note --
My 2005 Pilot has some rust on the wheel wells. It's got about 250k on it, but I don't doubt I will get another 50k out of it (about 5 years for me). But, I can't justify putting $ into the body work.
I have been trying to search online for the black oversized fender flares to just bolt on, but my google fu is weak, and I'm coming up with nada.
There is a place called Riva that sells truck accessories near me that I will check out as well.
Anyone have any leads for me?

How is everything else? brake lines, rad/water-pump/heater-core, EGR/evap systems? Tie-rod ends, ball-joints, wheel bearings. Any oil consumption/blow-by (worn rings)? May not be worth it to spend any more $$$ - save it for the next ride.

Looks great Joe :)

In case anyone cares, she got finished a few weeks back:
11a248b933200065ab94d8044c2f410a.jpg

How is everything else? brake lines, rad/water-pump/heater-core, EGR/evap systems? Tie-rod ends, ball-joints, wheel bearings. Any oil consumption/blow-by (worn rings)? May not be worth it to spend any more $$$ - save it for the next ride.
Water pump with the timing chain done at 200k iirc, repaired 2 tie rods and 2 wheel bearings. And a few other things....
I figure if I can stay below $2k/ year on any car for repairs, then I am in good shape.

Bump for the fender flare suggestions.

Called Riva Truck supplies and they are looking for the fender flares.

New question:
I have a great NexGrill BBQ that I won from my work Christmas party maybe 8 years ago. Still going quite strong. However, when moving it off the deck this year, both sets of wheels came off.
It looks like they were originally tack (?) welded on.
Before I try to MacGuyver something up with a 2x4 base mount (when I am better), is there anyone here that can come by and repair weld it, for a nominal fee?
Or other repair suggestions?
9077c3a1797bfaccf4caa6926a7a2cb7.jpg

53f12e8c82f6e0dfaf926e6e17380b6e.jpg

Called Riva Truck supplies and they are looking for the fender flares.

New question:
I have a great NexGrill BBQ that I won from my work Christmas party maybe 8 years ago. Still going quite strong. However, when moving it off the deck this year, both sets of wheels came off.
It looks like they were originally tack (?) welded on.
Before I try to MacGuyver something up with a 2x4 base mount (when I am better), is there anyone here that can come by and repair weld it, for a nominal fee?
Or other repair suggestions?
9077c3a1797bfaccf4caa6926a7a2cb7.jpg

53f12e8c82f6e0dfaf926e6e17380b6e.jpg

Blech. That's thin and dirty, not the easiest welding repair in the world. I would probably go with your wood repair (probably wheel bar screwed to 2x4, bbq screwed to other side of 2x4), it will be stronger and easier.

EDIT: Upon further review, those look like spot welds (picture an electrified C Clamp). I still think wood would be easier (but obviously we can't see the entire system, so it may be foiled by other parts).

Last edited:
@GreyGhost yeah I picked them up and threw them in the shed. This is the first time I have looked at them in months.
That was my concern with the welds. I didn't want to do it and then have it happen again.
I'm still not supposed to be over exerting myself for at least another week, so I won't be able to flip the bbq and see what I have to work with on the bottom.

Didn't you have kids for that? GWS JB.
The 5 year old would do it, but I don't want him to get hurt. (seriously, he would try)
And the big kid is on crutches. He tore some ligaments 2 days before my surgery.

meh...go with the wood block fix. It's far enough away from the flames, even you should be ok not to set them on fire....... :p

The 5 year old would do it, but I don't want him to get hurt. (seriously, he would try)
And the big kid is on crutches. He tore some ligaments 2 days before my surgery.

Wasn't really concerned with it catching fire. Just gotta make sure it won't affect the slide out drawer for the propane tank.

Decided to just make a pt base out if 2x6. Sat the bbq on top. Done. I really have no use for the wheels. And on the bbq mat, I cam slide it around if need be.
My new issue is that the damm slides are jammed. Had to remove the back panel. Will be removing tank then trying to remove the door. If I can't get the slides/ rollers going, just gonna throw some hinges on the front.

Back
Top Bottom