This and That | GTAMotorcycle.com

This and That

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
So just a few things:
Yesterday was the first time tiding with ear plugs. Should have done it sooner. Went to Costco, they said $78 taxes in for custom molded ones. That will be done soon.

Went to mount my kids' imitation GoPro to the bike. Hardware doesn't fit my 1" bars. Don't really want to spend the $ on a RAM mount. Any other suggestions?

Met my wife for lunch yesterday. She said never to show up again with my Icon Anthem overpants cause I looked like an idiot. I love them (thanks again @MacDoc ) so it looks like I will also need some new riding pants. I'm okay with used, probably would like to get some kevlar jeans, and I'm cheap.

Was going across King Rd today, they have a big @$$ roundabout entering Bolton. Didn't read the sign properly and took the 2nd exit instead of the first. Good thing there wasn't anyone around, as I had some trouble holding my line. Now this is something that I have been discussing with some members, and have been practicing this. Smooth on the throttle, lean, counter steer, look where you want to go. And I was doing well until I started dragging my peg. That freaked me a bit and that's when I lost my line. I am saving up for a course (racer 5, total control, not sure what yet), but in the meantime any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

So just a few things:
Yesterday was the first time tiding with ear plugs. Should have done it sooner. Went to Costco, they said $78 taxes in for custom molded ones. That will be done soon.

Went to mount my kids' imitation GoPro to the bike. Hardware doesn't fit my 1" bars. Don't really want to spend the $ on a RAM mount. Any other suggestions?

Met my wife for lunch yesterday. She said never to show up again with my Icon Anthem overpants cause I looked like an idiot. I love them (thanks again @MacDoc ) so it looks like I will also need some new riding pants. I'm okay with used, probably would like to get some kevlar jeans, and I'm cheap.

Was going across King Rd today, they have a big @$$ roundabout entering Bolton. Didn't read the sign properly and took the 2nd exit instead of the first. Good thing there wasn't anyone around, as I had some trouble holding my line. Now this is something that I have been discussing with some members, and have been practicing this. Smooth on the throttle, lean, counter steer, look where you want to go. And I was doing well until I started dragging my peg. That freaked me a bit and that's when I lost my line. I am saving up for a course (racer 5, total control, not sure what yet), but in the meantime any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Sounds like your riding style and bike are not compatible for your long term well being.
Ninja 650R or the EN 650 or Versys type bike.

Sounds like your riding style and bike are not compatible for your long term well being.
Ninja 650R or the EN 650 or Versys type bike.
My words probably came across wrong. I am not aggressive at all. The lean was just to keep my line (unless I was doing it wrong).
That being said, I believe thise bikes you mentioned or more standard style bikes? Since I was a kid, I wanted a bike that looked like mine. And I love the ride. But, for the last 6 years since I have gotten my license, what I wanted and what I am suited for, may be 2 different things. So I guess I can agree on that. Those bikes, though, are all much too tall for me to be comfortable on. Would you put the cb 500x (I think) in that category? I think that might be a logical next choice. But not in the budget.

My words probably came across wrong. I am not aggressive at all. The lean was just to keep my line (unless I was doing it wrong).
That being said, I believe thise bikes you mentioned or more standard style bikes? Since I was a kid, I wanted a bike that looked like mine. And I love the ride. But, for the last 6 years since I have gotten my license, what I wanted and what I am suited for, may be 2 different things. So I guess I can agree on that. Those bikes, though, are all much too tall for me to be comfortable on. Would you put the cb 500x (I think) in that category? I think that might be a logical next choice. But not in the budget.

yes to the cbx but there are other bikes you can ride by making some adjustments
if you have the time and space, look for a crashed bike cheap and fix it up

yes to the cbx but there are other bikes you can ride by making some adjustments
if you have the time and space, look for a crashed bike cheap and fix it up
I may only have 2 thumbs, but when it comes to anything mechanical, I'm ALL thumbs. ?

That's where the cruisers lack, cornering. You don't have to be aggressive, you're just going a little too fast. I used to scrape the pegs on my shadow 1100 every corner, my dad's vstar 1100 with floorboards was worse.
It does sound like you're starting to outride your shadow brother.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

That's where the cruisers lack, cornering. You don't have to be aggressive, you're just going a little too fast. I used to scrape the pegs on my shadow 1100 every corner, my dad's vstar 1100 with floorboards was worse.
It does sound like you're starting to outride your shadow brother.

Well, I will say that on my ride across the 407, I did keep up with the flow of traffic, which I used to not think the Shadow could do comfortably ( 120 ish). But, I still don't enjoy that. I really like 80 kmh. I think that's my comfort zone.
I don't think I'm ready to let go of her just yet (ever?).

For the curves -
Get some orange cones, do some more parking lot practice, to get used to long sweeping curves
if you get confident enough, increase the curve to touch the pegs once in a while, get some comfort there
can experiment with tire pressures
when's the last time the steering head bearings have been checked/re-torqued?
I like to do my braking early and enter the curve throttle-on to keep the front end up (less chance of dragging pegs)

I've come to conclusion that all textile overpants look like crap, unless your riding a dual sport / adventure bike. You can get some leather full-length side zip overpants at doc's. Or just plain leather pants. Or kevlar jeans.

Regarding #1 - if you are handy there are so many cheap DIY options

[video=youtube;wwcREI7L-w8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcREI7L-w8[/video]

Molded earplugs didn't work for me, but my bike has a nasty sound between 4-5k RPM. YMMV

I vote Total Control. It will change your comfort level when cornering 100% in one day. One morning, even.

You'd look a lot worse if you crashed without them.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not ATGATT, but I knew I was gonna be out and about most of the day, and I was wearing shorts underneath. That's why I think kevlar jeans are in my future.

So just a few things:

First time riding in 6 years with ear plugs!? Hello Joe.... Hello Joe! Can you hear me!? :lmao:

Which imitation GoPro? Does it have the same mounts as a GoPro?

My wife snores like a freight train is coming through the bedroom. Several years back at the winter bike show I purchased custom molded plugs. Love em! Use to sleep and also to ride.

As far as taking a course goes I second Jenerator's call on "Total Control". Great course to improve your riding skills and take you to the next level. Would not advise a newbe to take the course as I think you need to have a fairly reasonable level of skill to get the most out of the program.

@chasem welcome back brother! Haven't seen you post on here for a while.
You have to understand, my entire image of a biker was formed from the HD guys that lived around me. So chaps, half helmet etc. Once I joined here was the first I ever learned of wind noise induced hearing loss. So I went to the ff modular. Then I learned that the whistling I hear is just as bad. So I went for a couple longer rides and decided to try the ear plugs. Yup. Shoulda done it sooner.
I use the gopro reference loosely. He got it to record his yt gaming vids as a gift, but niw says that his ipod works better. It's a Vivitar.
70e7a909ef553d10aef9ccca09fde496.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far.

I bought my bike with possibly the loudest slip on available for it (the first owner put it on without the baffle), I rode it halfway home when I picked it up before having to pull over to put ear plugs in. Since then, ear plugs every single ride.

My hearing isn't the best as it is, I don't need to worsen it anymore

1)See if someone has (or can get) video of you riding a tight corner to see if you are leaning in or if you are pushing the bike down while you sit up.
2)Were you just scraping floorboards or was it actual hard parts? If it was just the boards, you have more safe lean, that is just a warning.

1)See if someone has (or can get) video of you riding a tight corner to see if you are leaning in or if you are pushing the bike down while you sit up.
2)Were you just scraping floorboards or was it actual hard parts? If it was just the boards, you have more safe lean, that is just a warning.
And on that note, go out to the garage and make sure that both floorboards move up and down freely. I once saw a lady crash on a Ridley because her floorboard hinge was corroded and stuck. When it hit the ground it didn't fold upwards, instead it lifted the rear of the bike off the ground and she lowsided.

Back
Top Bottom