Looking for a nice & decent beginner sport bike 250cc | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for a nice & decent beginner sport bike 250cc

Unless someone is getting a deal on a Ninja 250R I don't understand it -- Why would anyone in 2016 choose to have to deal with carbs when the CBR250R, Ninja 300R, CBR300R, R3, etc are all fuel injected? Also no ABS on the Ninja 250R either, even as an option.

Sure, some could say it is faster...but truthfully in the 250/300 class, does that really matter? Chances are it is actually slower if you don't have the engine/carbs tuned right based on pressure, air temp, etc, etc.

Unless someone is getting a deal on a Ninja 250R I don't understand it -- Why would anyone in 2016 choose to have to deal with carbs when the CBR250R, Ninja 300R, CBR300R, R3, etc are all fuel injected? Also no ABS on the Ninja 250R either, even as an option.

Sure, some could say it is faster...but truthfully in the 250/300 class, does that really matter? Chances are it is actually slower if you don't have the engine/carbs tuned right based on pressure, air temp, etc, etc.

They are keeping the old skills alive. :) Carbs aren't that bad if you aren't doing crazy elevation changes and on something like the 250's they aren't impossible to get at to fiddle with like on the inline 4's. Carbs/FI is barely on my list of things I care about in a bike.

For a new rider, there is a strong argument that ABS should be at the top of the list of things they care about in a new ride. Not everyone can afford it and some people are experiential learners that want to know what locking up the wheels feels like.

They are keeping the old skills alive. :) Carbs aren't that bad if you aren't doing crazy elevation changes and on something like the 250's they aren't impossible to get at to fiddle with like on the inline 4's. Carbs/FI is barely on my list of things I care about in a bike.

For a new rider, there is a strong argument that ABS should be at the top of the list of things they care about in a new ride. Not everyone can afford it and some people are experiential learners that want to know what locking up the wheels feels like.

I can see the carb argument if it were a cafe racer or some vintage bike...but when it is a 250 starter bike (that won't be kept all too long), fuel injection keeps things consistent and pretty much means turn key and go. Again, if it were also a deal then I'd agree it makes sense, but when people would pay the same for a 250R or a different 250/300 (or less than a $500 difference) it does baffle me a little. Different strokes though I guess.

For me I wanted to start somewhere, get the feel of a bike and built up my skills. Once I'm comfortable enough and ready for an upgrade, I'll consider other options and what's important to me then.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I can see the carb argument if it were a cafe racer or some vintage bike...but when it is a 250 starter bike (that won't be kept all too long), fuel injection keeps things consistent and pretty much means turn key and go. Again, if it were also a deal then I'd agree it makes sense, but when people would pay the same for a 250R or a different 250/300 (or less than a $500 difference) it does baffle me a little. Different strokes though I guess.

Any carbed engine I have ever owned has been turn the key and go. I had a fuel injected BMW K75 otoh that was a prick to get started in the cold (I traveled with tools and a torch to preheat the plugs when the temp was much below zero). I see how some people value FI, but in my experience, it literally makes zero difference to me on a bike that I am not taking around the world (and even then, I would strongly consider carbs as I can fix them anywhere).

I'm on a strict no carb diet :p
I picked fi over carbs for less maintenance
Purposes. If you want to learn how to DIY fine, otherwise being a beginner means another thing you Have to unnecessarily check, learn and understand.

Last edited:
I've had carbed bikes for years without any problems. Worst thing is you have to manage a choke and understand what a warmup process is. I wouldn't overstate FI. It is nice but bikes were fine without it for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had carbed bikes for years without any problems. Worst thing is you have to manage a choke and understand what a warmup process is. I wouldn't overstate FI. It is nice but bikes were fine without it for a long time.

100% this! People put way too much emphasis in Fi.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Not saying bikes without FI were bad, but if there were two bikes...only with FI and one without, I wouldn't choose the one without, if they were the same price.

Anyhow, back on topic...hopefully if OP only has $2000 that is the bike budget and not total budget. $2000 doesn't leave any room for insurance or proper gear, both of which are things new riders tend to forget/overlook before they buy an actual bike.

I am saying If the OP finds a bike he likes and is within his budget, it runs well and isn't FI. He shouldn't hesitate to purchase it. Saying a bike is better on carb vs. FI alone isn't in my opinion the best decision making, other items should be considered.

100% this! People put way too much emphasis in Fi.

Generally the generation who never grew up with carb'd vehicles.

But I agree, there's a lot to be said about the simplicity of a carb, and if you take care of them they're pretty much zero maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom