Thoughts on similar bikes to CB500F? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on similar bikes to CB500F?

alekomotto

Hello,

my wife just got her M2 and we have been shopping around for a used bike for her. Coming in at just under 5'5", she has a problem feeling comfortable on some bikes. She doesn't like cruiser style bikes and I can't convince her to get on one of my dirt/sm bikes.

She really loved the feel and position on a new 2016 CB500F. Are there any comparable bikes to this that I should get her to look at that aren't new? I'd like her to stay in the 500-650cc range ideally.

We've tried the following bikes:
Honda CB500X
Suzuki 650 Gladius

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

GS500 and Ninja 500? Should be lots of them still kicking around. Cheap, reliable and low seat heights

In the NEW category,

cb500f, x, r
Personally i like the ergos of the F and X more

GS and Ninja 500 are older but can be an option
Otherwise duke 390 might be another option that has similar power
Then if you jump, theres the fz-07 that i found to be pretty low as well but its slightly more power for her.

Ninja's tend to also have a lower seat height and some have lowering kits for them.

My wife is 5'3", she just bought a bandit 600s. It's a bit tall but she deals with it well as she just came off 3 seasons on a ninja 250.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I have an FZ6R which I had lowered (i'm just under 5'4") and I love it...it's a 600 cc sport touring so not bad on insurance...good ergos in that the pegs allow me to stand up and stretch my legs if need be...good power to easily handle highways and fun in the curves as well...

I'd say try a CB300F -- Slightly smaller but also a lot lighter, so power should be similar to the heavier 500. Also the FZ6R is a good bet as well...I have shorter legs, and noticed I can flat foot the FZ6R without issue, which I can't actually do on most bikes.

Too bad she doesn't like cruisers, since they have such low seats

When I was shopping for my first bike, I thought the Shadow650 and Star650 both looked too big and heavy. If you could get her a test ride on one, it might build up her confidence enough to want one

NC700 has a reputation as a good bike but bland. Might be a good first bike.

An old KLR5650 should be a great first bike if the seat low enough. DRZ400, too

I've seen good reviews for the Triumph Bonneville and Speedmaster as first bikes, too

They stopped making Vulcan 500s in 2009. It's cruiser-ish, but she might like it anyway, nice low seat. Vulcan S looks like a nice bike, too...650cc

Last edited:
Hello,

my wife just got her M2 and we have been shopping around for a used bike for her. Coming in at just under 5'5", she has a problem feeling comfortable on some bikes. She doesn't like cruiser style bikes and I can't convince her to get on one of my dirt/sm bikes.

She really loved the feel and position on a new 2016 CB500F. Are there any comparable bikes to this that I should get her to look at that aren't new? I'd like her to stay in the 500-650cc range ideally.

We've tried the following bikes:
Honda CB500X
Suzuki 650 Gladius

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If she likes the CB500F why not just buy one of those? I have one and love it. At 5'7" it's very comfortable and good around the city and day trips. Mine's a 2013.

Too bad she doesn't like cruisers, since they have such low seats

When I was shopping for my first bike, I thought the Shadow650 and Star650 both looked too big and heavy. If you could get her a test ride on one, it might build up her confidence enough to want one

NC700 has a reputation as a good bike but bland. Might be a good first bike.

An old KLR5650 should be a great first bike if the seat low enough. DRZ400, too

I've seen good reviews for the Triumph Bonneville and Speedmaster as first bikes, too

They stopped making Vulcan 500s in 2009. It's cruiser-ish, but she might like it anyway, nice low seat. Vulcan S looks like a nice bike, too...650cc

Yup, the NC bikes make great starter bikes.

An interesting bike with the NC motor is the CTX700N:

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/cruiser/ctx700n

Nice low seat height, low revving motor with lots of torque down low. See what a used or left over one would run you.

Back
Top Bottom