A-hole neighbour, how to fix this? | GTAMotorcycle.com

A-hole neighbour, how to fix this?

Motorcycle Mike

I can't help but being reminded of jc100's thread from a few years back: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?183887-Neighbours

So I live in a link-detached semi only connected to one neighbour and have lived here 5 years now. This neighbour has central air with the box on his rear deck... so no issues there.

Today he went and installed a wall mount AC unit that blows straight to my deck:

This is looking straight from my deck:
GLtgEo1.jpg

So how can I enjoy my deck with hot air being blown at me? I suppose I could raise that fence... but the next problem, the noise. That AC unit is right below my master bedroom window.

Mississauga bylaws state an AC unit must be .61m from a property line and this one is very close. I am not sure if it is too close or not as I don't know exactly where the property line is, but this is almost exactly 2' from the middle of the fence:

YcFfx1u.jpg

I am not even sure why he would want this there... he can barely walk by it. Anyway, what to do now?

No doubt, I can ask for a bylaw officer to inspect it... but what if this is within code? What then?

Did he need a permit to install this?

raise fence
add some kind of metal that redirects the air back to the unit
if you are creative you should be able to amplify the sound back towards him, lol
add wind chimes?
add a kazoo type thing that is powered by his ac fan??

just some ideas, lol

A/C units mounted like that are quite vulnerable to damage. He probably shouldn't have put it there.

Yes, probably violating the 'setback'. A complaint to bylaw folks will most likely result in an order to seek an adjustment (which you can block) or remove.

Any current bylaw violations on your side?

maybe go tell them they are an a55 for that and they should move it before the city gets involved?

No easy way out of this...

Find the a/c guy and kick his a55 - should've known better.

First of all, what a horrible messy install. Secondly the location does not meet code. Thirdly if that unit is new, and has new electrical to the panel, they definitely needed a permit for that end of things. As a past HVAC contractor, I have been forced to relocate condensing units that were placed between the houses in the Barrie area. Bylaw enforcement produced an order.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Might be the only spot he could put it, although why he needs two cooling units is beyond me. Make sure that you can build the fence that high first. As my lawyer once told me wisely, "it's best to get along with your neighbors ".

I know when we replaced our furnace and central air it no longer used the chimney, and the neighbor wasn't too happy with the pipe coming out in the breezeway, but the contractor had told us that was the place that met code, as long as we didn't pave it. Near the place that the dryer had always come out.

Yet another reason to hate small building lots. Id be very surprised if that is a completely legal 'code' installation. If all other venues dont give you a solution I'd at the least be putting up a wall of 8' cedar trees planted really close together to ensure that unit gets bad circulation.

Thats a really doooshy thing for a contractor to install. Nieghbor didnt want old unit sitting on his back deck, so you get the new one. Nice.

Yes, probably violating the 'setback'. A complaint to bylaw folks will most likely result in an order to seek an adjustment (which you can block) or remove.

Any current bylaw violations on your side?

maybe go tell them they are an a55 for that and they should move it before the city gets involved?

No easy way out of this...

Find the a/c guy and kick his a55 - should've known better.

I'm pretty sure every thing is up to code on my side, so I've gone ahead and contacted the bylaw office (sent them these pics via email) and cc'd my city councillor too (who surprisingly enough emailed back within 5 minutes saying they will make sure bylaw inspects this).

The thing is... I don't even know this owner. That place had been rented out until about 6 months ago when the previous tenants were evicted. Since then the owner has been very slowly renovating the house and I am not sure if he intends to rent again or sell. Either way, the owner is almost never here.

I'm getting pretty fed up with the neighbours around here (renters on both sides). A couple weeks back the neighbour on the other side started a 4' high bonfire in the back yard, which was about 6' away from the fence and 9' from my shed. Another neighbour must have called the fire department on that one, as they showed up pretty quick. They also tied a heavy rope to the fence (which is not in good shape) and half pulled it down. It's like living in the slums around here, in a house worth more than $500k! I need to get out of the GTA.

Last edited:
Have you, uh...tried talking to your neighbor about it? (Edit: Just saw your latest reply so hard to say how effective that might be, but I'd still try it....)

It's possible he just called an HVAC contractor about the install, the guy showed up and said "Oh yeah I can do that" and this is what he got. He may have no idea it's bothersome to you. A lot of homeowners are completely oblivious about that sort of thing.

Unless you already don't get along with him, I'd try to work it through amicably with the neighbor before running off to bylaw enforcement actions and pissing him off - it'll be pretty obvious who filed the complaint.

Ultimately, if it goes that way anyways and it ends up being legit (since you say it's close)....extend the fence upwards and out in the vicinity of the unit, and as someone else mentioned, some metal shielding to deflect the sound and heat. I think you'd find that this will solve most of the issues for you.

The strange thing about this install, is he is really screwing up his own house as well. The other side of his house shares a wall with a neighbour, so this path is the only way to the backyard aside from through the house:

YcFfx1u.jpg

That pretty much impedes moving anything in or out of that backyard.

PP, as stated, I don't know this owner. Never met him. My wife spoke to him once 4 months ago and apparently he is some old guy that owns 3 houses in this area that he bought when they were constructed in the late eighties/early nineties. The only people going in and out of that house now are contractors doing some of the renovations.

I've already contacted bylaw... and I would tell the owner I did so if I saw him. I seriously doubt he'd be keen on calling the HVAC installers back to move an installation they just completed. And honestly, I don't care if I piss him off... as I am pretty ****** off right now myself. How can I even sell this place now, as any buyer standing on the deck would immediately know that AC unit is a nuisance?

...Thirdly if that unit is new, and has new electrical to the panel, they definitely needed a permit for that end of things....

If you want more 'retribution', you can call ESA to report some new work that your neighbour's contractor did, close to your fence, that you suspect was not permit-ed and you are wondering if the local inspector can take a look.

Contractors are fined for this - branch circuit install, no permit, not done by an electriclcal contractor.

"What is ESA doing about unlicensed Contractors who are still doing electrical work? Licensing enforcement came into effect on January 1, 2007. ESA has implemented processes stemming from complaints to prosecutions. The number of contractors who have been found to be in violation of the licensing regulation can be viewed here. ESA regularly conducts enforcement inspections and investigations. This process includes the issuance of administrative penalties (fines), laying of charges and prosecutions for those who choose to violate the regulations."

http://www.esasafe.com/licensing/compliance/complaints

I'm getting pretty fed up with the neighbours around here (renters on both sides). A couple weeks back the neighbour on the other side started a 4' high bonfire in the back yard, which was about 6' away from the fence and 9' from my shed. Another neighbour must have called the fire department on that one, as they showed up pretty quick. They also tied a heavy rope to the fence (which is not in good shape) and half pulled it down. It's like living in the slums around here, in a house worth more than $500k! I need to get out of the GTA.

Host a BBQ - we'll all show up. 100s of bikes.

I would have talked to the neighbor directly before escalating it... If there is no code violation, How cooperative do you think he'll be with moving it afterwards?

If the neighbour is not reachable as he rents out the house mainly, how do you talk to said neighbour? Leave a letter in the mailbox and hope that he'll get it? Most house now have community boxes so that's out of the plan. Leaving something in the door jam when it's contractors coming in and out of the house? Don't think so.

There was no other real option, unless the neighbour had the foresight to maybe leave his contact info which isn't the case.

I would think most homeowners, especially landlords, will respond if they get a note to call a neighbor.

He has an external breaker. Flick to off position, attach padlock.

If you want to raise more crap, talk to the fire department as well. They do not look kindly on impeded access to the rear yard, that is one of the primary reasons for the setback.

Who installs cantilevered loads on bricks? Ugh.

Is noise really a problem from this A/C? Most of these briefcase units are damned quiet.

If you want to raise more crap, talk to the fire department as well. They do not look kindly on impeded access to the rear yard, that is one of the primary reasons for the setback.

Who installs cantilevered loads on bricks? Ugh.

Is noise really a problem from this A/C? Most of these briefcase units are damned quiet.

I'm guessing that when the bylaw officer sees this, they'll know who else should be notified... Like fire or esa, after all that is what getting a permit would have addressed.

The unit is not that loud when I'm in the backyard or on the deck - - although I can't sit on the deck now because of the hot air blowing. The issue is the noise in the bedroom. They haven't had this on at night as no one is living there, but you can hear it clearly during the day while in the bedroom, so I'm guessing it's going to be a problem.

I'm thinking you'll be gone in less than two years.

Back
Top Bottom