Toronto to Gaspe, Quebec | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Gaspe, Quebec

Old Suzy

Site Supporter
I'm thinking about doing a week ride out to Gaspe along the south shore of the St. Lawrence. Wondering if anybody has done this ride and could give me some Intel about what to see and where to stay. Any help would be appreciated.

I've done it in a car a number of years ago. There are tons of cozy B&B's and rental cottages that dot the south shore. No specific suggestion from me other than to make a stop in Matane for a shrimp poutine.

Civilization is very sparse up there.

I've done it in a car a number of years ago. There are tons of cozy B&B's and rental cottages that dot the south shore. No specific suggestion from me other than to make a stop in Matane for a shrimp poutine.

Civilization is very sparse up there.
Shrimp poutine! Starting to pack my bags?

You are looking at a shorter version of our upcoming trip.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...9-East-Coast-and-Newfoundland-in-June-3-weeks

https://goo.gl/maps/KwkcpnjcVrs

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-29%2Bat%2BMay%252C%2B29%2B%2B%2B%2B2016%2B%2B%2B%2B1.37.15%2BAM.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-28%2Bat%2BMay%252C%2B28%2B%2B%2B%2B2016%2B%2B%2B%2B9.53.55%2BPM.jpg

I'm hoping you've got at least 9 days total ...otherwise gonna be a lot of time on the slab. It' 1500 km each way without any poking about the pretty side roads.

Last edited:
I agree with MacDoc. Gaspe is a long way.
I took 3 days for the trip each way. I probably could have made it in 2 days, but there were other stops I wanted to make.
The last thing you want to when going to a peaceful and serene destination is set a new iron butt record.

If you're stopping in Quebec city, the classic Frontenac castle and plains of abraham and terrasse dufferin...
Eat some Ashton's poutine
Go to the Montmorency falls
there are a bunch of things to do in the city

I agree with MacDoc. Gaspe is a long way.
I took 3 days for the trip each way. I probably could have made it in 2 days, but there were other stops I wanted to make.
The last thing you want to when going to a peaceful and serene destination is set a new iron butt record.

I have 6 days leaving from Kingston ON and returning to Kingston. Should be enough or am I better off doing this ride latter in the season when I can push out to 8 or 9 days?

If you're stopping in Quebec city, the classic Frontenac castle and plains of abraham and terrasse dufferin...
Eat some Ashton's poutine
Go to the Montmorency falls
there are a bunch of things to do in the city

As an ex Montrealer, have done the Quebec city thing numerous times. Just never seemed to get out to the Gaspe Region. You are right though, Quebec city is a one of a kind city in North America and if you have not been, I would reccomend highly.

^^ You just can't ride inside the old city.

IMG_1777.jpg

In one very specific part of the old-downtown part of the city, yes.
Basically within the walls (orignally used to surround the castle) as they had issues with loud pipes where a group of dumbasses would ride through the area with their loud pipes during the night, back and forth quite a few times and they were never able to catch them.

Now on the other side of it, in those close quarters you can imagine how the sound reverberates off stones walls into these VERY OLD building walls.

You'd want to walk most of it anyways.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycles-not-allowed.500251/#post-10723859

Sometimes, being from there, i wonder what they were thinking when they put in certain laws...especially regarding mototourism ;)

In one very specific part of the old-downtown part of the city, yes.
Basically within the walls (orignally used to surround the castle) as they had issues with loud pipes where a group of dumbasses would ride through the area with their loud pipes during the night, back and forth quite a few times and they were never able to catch them.

Now on the other side of it, in those close quarters you can imagine how the sound reverberates off stones walls into these VERY OLD building walls.

You'd want to walk most of it anyways.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycles-not-allowed.500251/#post-10723859

Sometimes, being from there, i wonder what they were thinking when they put in certain laws...especially regarding mototourism ;)

ok so did this one last year. . .slabbed to Montreal for a night cause I love montreal dans la summer

, then to Matane for a night; that was nice but it was wet out and I was just baked so after eating and cleaning gear and raising a can, that was it. . . . .

then to Perce - I was really glad I booked there. Nice place to end the day with Perce Rock to admire. They say it's illegal to go over to the rock, cause it sheds tons of rock each year and its dangerous but I got in at 3:30 or so and the tide was just starting to come in so I hustled and went over anyway. Awesome and surreal and a bit creepy. . . .dead birds everywhere, other birds eating the carcasses....started to come back just after being over there for like 15 minutes and half of the exposed path to the rock was underwater. Then ate in a decent restaurant and walked the boardwalk by the rock and river at night. Nice. Stayed at the Hotel Panorama. It's literally one minute away from the heart of the town, up a hill. So it would have been nice to stay in the heart of the place but up there, it was a better price, and I parked right outside my door. Best was the view ask for the big corner room I got a wicked deal on it, huge with balcony loads of room it's for a bigger family not a single rider but it had the best view of the rock.

Then Grand Falls the next night. DO NOT stay at the Hilltop if you crash there. . .. decent little town to stop in for the night but that hotel was about the worst experience I've had on the road in a long time. very overpriced and what a hole. Nice falls though you can't appreciate it in pics.

Then I went to Quebec City for 2 nights; it had been a while since I been there. Was really glad I worked it in!

Then one more night in Montreal and then slabbed home.

Once you're out in Gaspe region, weather is very unpredictable. I found myself gearing up and down a lot at first because it's cool, then it's hot, then it's wet then it's not. I remember a lot of stops at the side of the road to quickley put on or strip down the rain gear particularly.

It's beautiful scenery though. Here's where you can really appreciate the might of the St. Lawrence. Loved to see all the little villages as the coastline goes even slightly inward. You can stop and have some food just sitting in these little shelters they've built by the water.

Roads were good, nothing made me reminice early nineties spadina. Big sweeping curves and some decent changes in elevation; nothing too challenging, and no real tight turns if that's what you want. The scenery is what does it here; and the culture.

I love all the different cultures in Canada; truly. The only thing was that on this trip, since I was alone, the entire time i was in the Gaspe region I don't think I had a conversation with anyone! Everywhere else i'd just strike up a conversation wherever but I found that most didn't speak English (not hating; it's just what I observed). . .So for me it was a great trip but a bit lonely.

Hey have fun! Le Enjoy!

Oh I also found this trip to be a rather expensive one. It's a big tourist area; very popular with people from quebec. Hotels were very expensive and many were full by the time I hit town. Usually i'll stay in dorms or something to cut costs but there's nothing like that in that area.

I know, I could camp but playing homeless isn't my thing.

ok so did this one last year. . .slabbed to Montreal for a night cause I love montreal dans la summer

, then to Matane for a night; that was nice but it was wet out and I was just baked so after eating and cleaning gear and raising a can, that was it. . . . .

then to Perce - I was really glad I booked there. Nice place to end the day with Perce Rock to admire. They say it's illegal to go over to the rock, cause it sheds tons of rock each year and its dangerous but I got in at 3:30 or so and the tide was just starting to come in so I hustled and went over anyway. Awesome and surreal and a bit creepy. . . .dead birds everywhere, other birds eating the carcasses....started to come back just after being over there for like 15 minutes and half of the exposed path to the rock was underwater. Then ate in a decent restaurant and walked the boardwalk by the rock and river at night. Nice. Stayed at the Hotel Panorama. It's literally one minute away from the heart of the town, up a hill. So it would have been nice to stay in the heart of the place but up there, it was a better price, and I parked right outside my door. Best was the view ask for the big corner room I got a wicked deal on it, huge with balcony loads of room it's for a bigger family not a single rider but it had the best view of the rock.

Then Grand Falls the next night. DO NOT stay at the Hilltop if you crash there. . .. decent little town to stop in for the night but that hotel was about the worst experience I've had on the road in a long time. very overpriced and what a hole. Nice falls though you can't appreciate it in pics.

Then I went to Quebec City for 2 nights; it had been a while since I been there. Was really glad I worked it in!

Then one more night in Montreal and then slabbed home.

Once you're out in Gaspe region, weather is very unpredictable. I found myself gearing up and down a lot at first because it's cool, then it's hot, then it's wet then it's not. I remember a lot of stops at the side of the road to quickley put on or strip down the rain gear particularly.

It's beautiful scenery though. Here's where you can really appreciate the might of the St. Lawrence. Loved to see all the little villages as the coastline goes even slightly inward. You can stop and have some food just sitting in these little shelters they've built by the water.

Roads were good, nothing made me reminice early nineties spadina. Big sweeping curves and some decent changes in elevation; nothing too challenging, and no real tight turns if that's what you want. The scenery is what does it here; and the culture.

I love all the different cultures in Canada; truly. The only thing was that on this trip, since I was alone, the entire time i was in the Gaspe region I don't think I had a conversation with anyone! Everywhere else i'd just strike up a conversation wherever but I found that most didn't speak English (not hating; it's just what I observed). . .So for me it was a great trip but a bit lonely.

Hey have fun! Le Enjoy!

In some more remote areas of Gaspe, the speak "Fran-glais"...literally a mix of English and French. It was very bizarre sounding, but worked for me as it's how I speak French anyway! Lol!

Don't forget the food! Seafood galore (best scallops I've ever had) and the tarte au sucre, mon Dieux!
:)

Cheers,

Rob

Back
Top Bottom