Is there any hope? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is there any hope?

waqeezy

Hi guys, I am 24 years old and looking to insure a zx6r. I have one season riding experience (gsxr-600 with state farm) last year and have a clean record. I have been calling around to get insurance quotes and the cheapest I was quoted was 4k/year for comprehensive and around 6k/year for full coverage. I do not have a car or house so I can't get insured with all state (bundle discount). Howver, one company quoted me $1350 for comprehensive and $1800 for full coverage once i turn 25. My father does have a car and he would be willing to switch over to another company if that means I'll get a cheaper rate ( I would be secondary on the car). Is there any other companies that might give me a decent quote? I feel as if there is no hopes of me riding a 600 this year :(

Why not stay with state farm?

I'd say find a broker, not an agent. Let them do leg work for you.

My state Farm agent didn't even give me a quOTE. She said somehow the system won't let her. She also stated that it would be over $10k which makes absolutely no ****ing sense. So I didn't even bother with them, especially after hearing everyone else's rates going up on here.

Do you know any good brokers that you'd recommend ?

Why not stay with state farm?

I'd say find a broker, not an agent. Let them do leg work for you.

Do you know any good brokers that you'd recommend ?

Dalton Timmis. They have more underwriters they work with than (AFAIK) any other motorcycle insurance company in the province, perhaps Canada.

At 24 years old and a 600cc, $4000 sounds about right.
You can give me a call at 1-800-263-2369, ext:169 and I'll quote you right over the phone, need about 7 minutes of your time

Hi guys, I am 24 years old and looking to insure a zx6r. I have one season riding experience (gsxr-600 with state farm) last year and have a clean record. I have been calling around to get insurance quotes and the cheapest I was quoted was 4k/year for comprehensive and around 6k/year for full coverage. I do not have a car or house so I can't get insured with all state (bundle discount). Howver, one company quoted me $1350 for comprehensive and $1800 for full coverage once i turn 25. My father does have a car and he would be willing to switch over to another company if that means I'll get a cheaper rate ( I would be secondary on the car). Is there any other companies that might give me a decent quote? I feel as if there is no hopes of me riding a 600 this year :(

Which company quoted you 1350?

I'm confused. You had insurance through state Farm on a 600 gixxer but they won't quote you for a ninja 600?

Something not adding up.

Getting motorcycle insurance for younger riders in this province is ridiculous. It's no wonder that a lot of young riders tend to ride without insurance and have to pull schemes because of insanely inflated rates.

Getting motorcycle insurance for younger riders in this province is ridiculous. It's no wonder that a lot of young riders tend to ride without insurance and have to pull schemes because of insanely inflated rates.

Or they do it the sane/legal way and get a 250/300 for 1-2 years, and upgrade after that. Pretty sure when 99% of us started to drive for the first time, our first cars were Sunfires, Civics, Corollas, etc and not Porsches, Ferraris, and Corvettes...Learn on smaller (and save), then upgrade later....or pay to play if you really must.

As for those who choose to ride without insurance...I wish there was a place their names, bikes, and plates were saved, so I could actively avoid them/being near them. Always worries me when I go on a group ride and new (young) faces show up on SS bikes...especially this year.

First of all, there is nothing insane about starting off on a 600. In fact, I feel a lot more confortable and safer on the highway with a 600 as compared to a 250 as you can accelerate faster in situations. And im pretty sure 99% of us couldn't afford exotic sports cars at that age which is why we had no choice but to opt for civics. And im just stating that the reason why a lot of riders ride unnisured is because they get hit with ridiculous quotes (more than the cost of their bike in some cases).

Or they do it the sane/legal way and get a 250/300 for 1-2 years, and upgrade after that. Pretty sure when 99% of us started to drive for the first time, our first cars were Sunfires, Civics, Corollas, etc and not Porsches, Ferraris, and Corvettes...Learn on smaller (and save), then upgrade later....or pay to play if you really must.

As for those who choose to ride without insurance...I wish there was a place their names, bikes, and plates were saved, so I could actively avoid them/being near them. Always worries me when I go on a group ride and new (young) faces show up on SS bikes...especially this year.

First of all, there is nothing insane about starting off on a 600. In fact, I feel a lot more confortable and safer on the highway with a 600 as compared to a 250 as you can accelerate faster in situations. And im pretty sure 99% of us couldn't afford exotic sports cars at that age which is why we had no choice but to opt for civics. And im just stating that the reason why a lot of riders ride unnisured is because they get hit with ridiculous quotes (more than the cost of their bike in some cases).

Sorry but I am 100% of the mindset of "if you can't pay you don't play". If someone can't afford insurance (even though I 100% agree it is a cash grab here in Ontario), then they shouldn't be riding on the streets. If someone is willing to ride without insurance on the street, then they shouldn't be on a bike period, as it shows a lack of thinking that is putting both themselves and the others on the road around them at risk.

As for starting on a 600 or bigger SS bike...that's been beaten like a dead horse around here. Yes people can do it, but it isn't the smartest move, as you'd learn more on a smaller bike 9 times out of 10. Also in a lot of cases, the ones that do and do it well are typically older and have more self-restraint/control, so they are less likely to act before they can think, so to speak. It's a sad fact the only thing that keeps some off them to start IS insurance, when it should really be a licensing structure like in other areas of the world. Still baffles me how a 16 year old could write a multiple choice test and jump on a Hyabusa/R1/etc with a helmet and t-shirt, and assuming they are insured it is 100% legal here. Also the amount you'd save on insurance starting on something smaller (or at least not a SS bike) then upgrading later would pay for the new bike down the road.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with anything?

Insurance doesn't drop on a 600 because you started on a 250.

No, but it does drop with age and experience.

What does this have to do with anything?

Insurance doesn't drop on a 600 because you started on a 250.

It costs less to buy and insure a 250 from say 18-25 then get a 600, than it does to get a 600 and insure it from 18 onwards. Say insurance on the 600 was $5000/year, and on the 250 $2000/year. That's $3000x7=$21,000 extra spent on insurance, all to ride a 600 vs a 250 before 25.

Also insurance is highest when you are an unknown. The more years of continuous coverage with no tickets or at fault claims, the lower your rates. Better to take the biggest hit on a smaller (and cheaper to insure) bike, and upgrade once you qualify as an 'elite rider' (to use All State's terminology) or similar and can get a discounted rate on something larger and more expensive to insure.

Although I'm older and didn't go the SS route so many do, when I was first looking into bikes I got a quote on a CBR600RRA -- it was $4000/year. I got a CBR250RA instead at $1200 year 1, and $500 years 2 and 3. I then got a new quote on a CBR600RRA and it was $1800/year, which was a significant difference from when I first started riding.

As for my comment on legality...there are many that seem to not be able to afford insurance on a 600 SS bike, but could afford insurance on a 250/300 or similar. Rather than get the bike they can afford, they get the 600 and choose to forgo insurance, and enter their candidacy for the Darwin Awards for that year.

Last edited:
Nobody is forced to ride without insurance. It is a choice. A very stupid choice. Find something you can afford or don't ride on the street.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

It's a poor decision to ride without insurance, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't be riding.
I can assure everyone the people riding without insurance are getting caught more than what we think.
About a year ago I was in court with one of my clients to rectify some issues, for the period of 2 hours that I was there waiting my turn, 5 drivers/rides got convicted of driving without insurance.

The worst part of it, not only you can't afford motorcycle insurance, now you won't be able to afford car insurance either as it will effect your car rates. Welcome to High Risk insurance. :shock:

How come no one ever mentions riders plus? I got a decent price with them, had just finished my course for my M2, still can't actually get my M2 until the end of June but they gave me coverage at $1600/year for a 2015 Honda cbr300r. Everywhere else I looked around wanted $3000-6000k for the year and shockingly enough state farm was the worst. They wanted $500 a month.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom