Just got a new bike and it won't start | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just got a new bike and it won't start

SabeehR

Good morning everyone

Bought a 2010 zx6r yesterday when I went to go look at the bike it was working perfectly but when I started riding home on the highway the cluster stopped working and once I parked it wouldn't start again. I boosted the battery with my car and it started working after that I took the battery off my ninja 250 and installed it in the new bike and it still wouldn't work. Any idea what would be wrong and also does the 250 and zx6r take the same battery ? Any help will be deeply appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post this in the technical section and someone will help you. Have you checked all the fuses?

Just posted it there too and fuses looks ok am hoping it's only the battery because it gives no problem when I boost it with a car

boosting it with your car isnt a good idea.
may have a issue with the charging system. pull the battery put it on a charger then install and try to start it up.
if it starts then when you go to start it again and it doesnt then its something with the charging system.

if the battery wont fully charge go buy a new one.

I don't own a charger but I pulled out the zx6r battery and put it in my 250 and it wouldn't start that either so my plan is to get a new battery and hope for the best but do you guys know if ninja 250 and zx6r have the same battery

I don't own a charger but I pulled out the zx6r battery and put it in my 250 and it wouldn't start that either so my plan is to get a new battery and hope for the best but do you guys know if ninja 250 and zx6r have the same battery

look at the batteries, read the model numbers.

Given your description, it sounds to me like a more serious electrical problem.
Possibly the alternator is faulty which would explain why the battery isn't charging and you lost the cluster on the ride home.
It's producing just enough electricity to keep the engine running.
As alternators tend to produce non standard voltages just before they fail, have a voltage test done on it.
I had one once that was putting out 14 volts. It ruined 2 batteries and it wouldn't start.
The battery was storing 14 volts but the starter needed 12 volts to work.

Like statsman said, it sounds like it could be the charging system. I would recommend diagnosing it before you blindly buy new parts. If you spend $100+ on a new battery, you're going to be ****** if the same thing happens again. If the Charging system is the prpblem, it wont take long for the new battery to be drained as well. You can buy a multimeter for $10-20 which will tell you if the charging system is working.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah I got the old battery charged and the bike worked perfectly for an hour or so and died again am thinking it's either the stator or rectifier

Yeah I got the old battery charged and the bike worked perfectly for an hour or so and died again am thinking it's either the stator or rectifier

don't waste time or money plus risk getting stranded
checkout rmstator.com (cdn company) and order a new stator and rectifier kit...if they have it for your bike.
Kawi stuff is usually solid but perhaps the bike was not taken care of.
look for the mosfet kit (a few bucks more), worth it imo

both are easy parts to change yourself

Will look in to it for sure thank you

I hope you do if not you will fry your battery again. It's a cheap investment into fun riding and more up time.
That's a solid bike. I have one for track which is going up for sale shortly.
Just do some basic maint, new plugs, coolant, air filter, new oil and filter.
Give it the once over to ensure everything is where it should be. Easy bike to work on, very solid bike.

great brakes but get a master cylinder from an R1 or R6 (with the res. bottle) along with some steel lines and that bike stops on a dime

enjoy!

Will look in to it for sure thank you

There is a thread on here about how to check your stator for this particular generation.

You'll need a multimeter to check the voltage on the battery to confirm whether it's the stator or rectifier.

More than likely it's your stator. If you want to visually check it, you can take off the cover and just look at it and it might just have burnt coils that you can see right away. Best way is to test with a multimeter.

You're looking at a $250 - 300 part + gasket and your own labour if you're mechanically inclined. If not, i'd take it to a mechanic.

Where are you located ? maybe a forum member can help.

or perhaps i can lend a hand.

Am located at 403 and Winstonchurchill and any help will be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom