kawi Gurus | GTAMotorcycle.com

kawi Gurus

Nick_f

Site Supporter
question for ya.

Just wrecked my front end of my 2005 zx6r, and need a new one.

do the 09+ front end, work on the 05/06 frame?

this would be a full swap, as i twisted my lower triple, and snapped the top triple.

advise please:headbang:

question for ya.

Just wrecked my front end of my 2005 zx6r, and need a new one.

do the 09+ front end, work on the 05/06 frame?

this would be a full swap, as i twisted my lower triple, and snapped the top triple.

advise please:headbang:

Yes you need complete front end, triples, cipons, forks, and front fender

You can use your 05 wheel, spacers, rotors, axle and calipers

sweet thanks johnny

I was reading that the steering stem is 35mm longer on the 09+, and would have to use one from a 05/06 zx6r. Press it out on the triple, and re press it into the 09.

Thoughts?

sweet thanks johnny

I was reading that the steering stem is 35mm longer on the 09+, and would have to use one from a 05/06 zx6r. Press it out on the triple, and re press it into the 09.

Thoughts?

Never had to do that, on the 03/04 or 05/06 unless your mixing bottom and top triples

In the stunt community everyone runs a newer Kawi front end on the older bikes. Ive done the swap 20 times over with different combos.

The stem issue usually only comes into play when you are trying to use an 03/04 bottom tripple with a 05+ top triple. Reason being the steam nut and thickness is different between 03/04 and 05-12. So for that combo you need to press out the smaller stem

However if your using 09+ top and bottom triples, then no you should not have to swap stems

There is a stunt bike at my coating shop now, 03/04 frame, with a 09 front end on it....Stem was not swapped

Last edited:
Never had to do that, on the 03/04 or 05/06 unless your mixing bottom and top triples

In the stunt community everyone runs a newer Kawi front end on the older bikes. Ive done the swap 20 times over with different combos.

The stem issue usually only comes into play when you are trying to use an 03/04 bottom tripple with a 05+ top triple. Reason being the steam nut and thickness is different between 03/04 and 05-12. So for that combo you need to press out the smaller stem

However if your using 09+ top and bottom triples, then no you should not have to swap stems

There is a stunt bike at my coating shop now, 03/04 frame, with a 09 front end on it....Stem was not swapped

this is correct, in 03/04 they used skinny stems, the 05/06 + stems got beefy.

Thanks for the clarification!

There is a full set for $450 for sale for a 2009 (2 forks, top and bottom triples)

Do you think it would be better to upgrade to those, or just get an 05/06 front end for about $300?

There is a full set for $450 for sale for a 2009 (2 forks, top and bottom triples)

Do you think it would be better to upgrade to those, or just get an 05/06 front end for about $300?

Keep in mind you will need the 09-12 clipons also or another set of aftermarket clipons in 51mm

03-08 50mm clipons
09-12 51mm clipons
13-16 back to 50mm go figure

Your 05 front fender will also not fit the 09 forks

Its up to you, most of us swap to newer because older stuff is hard to find these days. So we get newer stuff that is newer and more readily available, and you get the added bonus of newer technology, and some nicer looks or better performance in some cases...

I have no 03-05 forks stuff left, its all gone over the years my spares for those years are long gone...09+ I have forks, triples, clipons, etc etc, because they are not that old yet I still have those parts on hand....

I think I have at least one set of 09 forks, 2 sets of triples, clipons
13+ I have one set of forks, triples, clipons

13 would work too but you would need 13+ rotors as they are 10mm larger then 05-12

Last edited:
sooooo offer him $400? lol

Got the forks from Craig. Great shape, didn't want to haggle the price, as i thought the $450 was a fair price for new forks that are straight including the triples.

New topic for you Kawai Gurus

Front ram air. Can i use one from another kawi? This is for a track bike with track fairings.

This piece is right expensive for the 05-06.

Got the forks from Craig. Great shape, didn't want to haggle the price, as i thought the $450 was a fair price for new forks that are straight including the triples.

New topic for you Kawai Gurus

Front ram air. Can i use one from another kawi? This is for a track bike with track fairings.

This piece is right expensive for the 05-06.

only 05/06 will fit properly, the rest will fit your frame, but not your fairings and headlight

OP...You should see if JohnnyP636 has any of his stunt stays around, they are built very tough.

More than likely i will just press out the stem from the 05/06, since this won't work as a direct swap

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to do this conversion

Should have stuck with the 05/06 forks :(

did a dry fit , and the stem from a 2009 kawi is to long. the nut won't tighten down.

any advise or work around?

http://s33.postimg.org/ydnojcepb/IMG_20160601_195410.jpg

More than likely i will just press out the stem from the 05/06, since this won't work as a direct swap

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to do this conversion

Should have stuck with the 05/06 forks :(

Just swap stems, its easy swap. Just need a press...there is a round wire ring on the bottom of the stem...

When I put a kawi front end into my gsxr..same issue, Just got a machinist to cut more threads. and the locknuts fit fine after

swap stems since you have them both, takes 5 minutes on the press

When I had the 03/04 I would run what ever bottom triple I could get for cheap, 03-16 didn't matter to me as long as it was straight

PS looks like your using the steel 05/06 lock nut, do you not have the 09+ aluminum one? Not sure if they are the same dimensions but the 09 should have a recess on the inside at the bottom to clear the threads, so it could be threaded on more

IMG_3535_zpsg4hogsqr.jpg

I'm going to press it out at work tomorrow.

I do have that, i just used what every lying around to do a dry fit.

Back
Top Bottom