Ok to use Maxima Racing Shock Fluid in front forks | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ok to use Maxima Racing Shock Fluid in front forks

robmack

I purchased a litre of Maxima Racing Shock Fluid 7W for use in the front forks of my Moto Guzzi V7. I selected this product because it met all the viscosity requirements of the cartridge inserts and it had a very high Viscosity Index (meaning it will retain its characteristics over a wide temperature range). But now I'm second guessing my purchase. This product is intended for use in rear shocks. So, will it be OK to use this dampening fluid in the front forks? Or should I swap for Maxima Racing Fork Fluid at the same viscosity?

Hello,

I do the same for the same reasons. I have also e-mailed Maxima tech support and got back:

"Thank you for contacting Maxima. There is no issue running Maxima Racing Shock Fluid (RSF) in your bike's forks. If anything, RSF is overbuilt in that it has a very high VI for a fork, which is only a plus"

I have 2 seasons on my forks using it without issues.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. This is an excellent answer to my question, one that makes me happy.

This answer jives with the response I just received from Maxima to my question:
Robert,
Shock fluids and fork fluids are very similar. The main difference being that the shock fluid contains a larger amount of polymer (VI Improver) to help the fluid viscosity stay consistent in high temperature applications. So essentially a Shock Fluid is overbuilt for a fork application being that a fork does not experience the high temperatures that a shock does.

You can use a shock fluid in a fork but it would be considered overkill for the intended application.

Let me know if you have any more questions and thank you for choosing Maxima!

Sincerely,

Tim Schaeffer
Maxima Racing Oils I ProFilter
9266 Abraham Way, Santee, CA 92071 USA
P 619.449.5000 I F 619.449.9694

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom