New buyer, information needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

New buyer, information needed

clyder

Hello everyone,

I'm a new rider, got my M2 two years ago and ready to buy a ride now. There's a seller willing to sell his his used Kawasaki Ninja 250, mint condition for 1700$ which is what I'm looking for just to start practicing. The seller is willing to deliver it for free with all the paperwork: (MTO ownership,Uvip,Bill of sale) fully certified safety and E-tested. Seems to me it's a good deal, other than the few common things to check (clutch, breakes, suspension, leaks, fuel tank corrosion, drive test it) anything else I should check for in term of checking and with the paper work? Would you recommend I bring a mechanic with me or the paperworks and my normal checkup + test drive should be enough? Please let me know.

Thanks,

There is no e-test for bikes. Bill of sale is the last page of the UVIP. A safety cert. included is great, but keep in mind that it's only an indication that the bike meets safety standards at the time of the test. It's no guarantee everything works a week later. It is always a good idea to have someone knowledgeable about bikes check it over, doesn't necessarily have to be a mechanic, but one couldn't hurt. If you brushed up on what to look for and am confident in your test drive, you might be ok. What's the year and mileage?

it's a 2008 and there's 4800 km on it. May sounds silly but anyway I can find the history of the vehicule? If it's been modified, stolen, etc .. Just wanna make sure I get the best experience/ security on the first purchase

UVIP will show if there are any liens on it and the previous owners. Other than maybe Carfax, don't know of any to find out stolen. Mods won't show up anywhere 'cept on the bike.

Liens and the actual condition of the bike is pretty much all you need. Maintenance history would be nice, but if it really has only 4800 kms, not much there other than annual oil changes for storage.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the info, truly appreciated. One more thing. Do I need to have an insurance during the moment of paperwork or it's something after the transaction?

You need ins. to get a plate. If you are getting the UVIP and a Safety Cert., you go into the MTO to pay transfer fee and tax on the price that you tell them or that's on the bill of sale. ;) This will transfer the bike into your ownership. The safety means you can transfer it as FIT. If you want plates for it to ride it on the street, you need the ins. policy # on the MTO paperwork. You can transfer it into your name with out plates, but might as well get it done all at once.

Last edited:
Great! Thanks a lot your the info. Truly appreciated!! Can't wait to start! It will be an awesome experience!! ?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Where are you located? Someone more experienced in the area may be willing to give it a look over with you.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

That would be great. I live in Etobicoke, close to Park Lawn and Lakeshore.

Pay for the bike and shipping and it will show up in a few days

Always test ride before buying. I once went to look at a bike a kid bought and then has to sell(cause his parents said so) that was practically unrideable. The seller delivered it and the kid never rode it. Might have crashed it if he did. I got a half block away and turned it around.

Always test ride before buying. I once went to look at a bike a kid bought and then has to sell(cause his parents said so) that was practically unrideable. The seller delivered it and the kid never rode it. Might have crashed it if he did. I got a half block away and turned it around.
Thanks for the input. Will definitely test ride it before buying it. Do you know if by law if there's some sort of garantee that protects the buyer or most transactions involving used bikes are pretty much 'as is'?

Thanks for the input. Will definitely test ride it before buying it. Do you know if by law if there's some sort of garantee that protects the buyer or most transactions involving used bikes are pretty much 'as is'?

No protection when buying privately. You can try and put together a contract stating that 'if this bike is so bad that it won't pass safety' blah blah blah and then go that route.

Outside of that it's Buyer Beware.

Owner may ask you for full cash up front if you want to ride the bike, but that's up to you whether you want to go to that stage or not. I've purchased a used bike before from a private party and the guy let me ride it without any $ or any deposit. But maybe because he really wanted to sell it as it was way too much insurance wise for him. And I think mommy and daddy said 'sell it now'.

I never had to show $ to test ride any bike I've bought, but I've never let a test ride on a bike I was selling without $ in hand. lol

Are you sending money via a third party, like Pay Pal or Western Union? If so, it is probably a scam and you will be defrauded. If the owner shows up with the bike and you pay him cash or draft be sure to get ID from the seller and maybe a picture. Educate yourself about what the documents you will receive look like so you can judge the validity of those that are presented.

Are you sending money via a third party, like Pay Pal or Western Union? If so, it is probably a scam and you will be defrauded. If the owner shows up with the bike and you pay him cash or draft be sure to get ID from the seller and maybe a picture. Educate yourself about what the documents you will receive look like so you can judge the validity of those that are presented.
No, seller has a delivery guy who will bring the bike. I will test drive it, check it, check the docs and if satisfied, sign the needed docs and pay the delivery guy cash on his behalf. No need to transfer the money of pay him up front; that's why I wanted someone by my side during the check up on delivery day.

I never had to show $ to test ride any bike I've bought, but I've never let a test ride on a bike I was selling without $ in hand. lol
Lol ... lucky you, it all worked out to your benefit :p

No protection when buying privately. You can try and put together a contract stating that 'if this bike is so bad that it won't pass safety' blah blah blah and then go that route.

Outside of that it's Buyer Beware.

Owner may ask you for full cash up front if you want to ride the bike, but that's up to you whether you want to go to that stage or not. I've purchased a used bike before from a private party and the guy let me ride it without any $ or any deposit. But maybe because he really wanted to sell it as it was way too much insurance wise for him. And I think mommy and daddy said 'sell it now'.
Do you live in the Mimico area?

Hey guys,

What do you think: all communication with sellers are done by email so far. I haven't got a phone number yet where I can reach him if I need further detail or just talk with him. I asked for his phone # on an email additional to delivery confirmation but he just just acknowledged date and time of delivery without acknowledging the phone # part. Is that a red flag and should worry about it or that's no big deal as long as I don't pay him upfront and on delivery the bike and paperwork are legit+will have his info on paperwork anyway? Your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom