Abetting a Crime | GTAMotorcycle.com

Abetting a Crime

nobbie48

Site Supporter
The phone rings and a robo-voice tells me the CRA is going to sue me, seize my assets etc. Call today to fix it. 807-788-5327. No thanks.

Isn't giving these scammers telephone lines the same as driving the getaway car at a bank robbery?

What company is making money off of this crime by supplying a phone line?

What a user does with a phone is not in the hands of the utility. Same as a vehicle maker/dealer isn't responsible for the drunk driver/speeder.

Besides, chances are the call originated from outside Canada.

What a user does with a phone is not in the hands of the utility. Same as a vehicle maker/dealer isn't responsible for the drunk driver/speeder.

Besides, chances are the call originated from outside Canada.

Chances are their call also originated from the interwebz.

Seemed pretty easy to get myself a free Fongo (416) number.

I don't remember the technical explanation for it but it comes down to caller ID being easy to manipulate, and it is too late / impossible to fix. I'm not convinced telcos couldn't be doing something to try and screen out the calls, though.

I'm getting calls from 2016 Census (Complete the census-it's the law) I pretend it's a scam. Well, it kind of is.

I don't remember the technical explanation for it but it comes down to caller ID being easy to manipulate, and it is too late / impossible to fix. I'm not convinced telcos couldn't be doing something to try and screen out the calls, though.
technical term is spoofing

I love these calls. I keep them on the phone as long as possible.

My favorite was when "Microsoft" was calling as they had discovered a security flaw with my PC. I kept one guy on the phone for about 90 minutes using my best 80 year old confused man voice while he walked me through all the steps and I continuously screwed them up. At the end he kept telling me to "right click" and I kept telling him that a Mac does not have a right click button. When it clicked I don't think I ever heard the word Mother ****er so many times in a sentence:)

Back
Top Bottom