Moto gymkhana gta | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto gymkhana gta

wearelopey

Moto Gymkhana GTA

https://www.facebook.com/motogymkhanagta/?pnref=story

Hey Everyone!

Ever seen youtube videos like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90BxTrAADi4 and wondered "how am I ever going to be able to do that" ?

Well you are not alone!

We started our group about a year ago in an attempt to:

A/ figure out how to properly ride moto gymkhana style

B/ get better at it in a low stress, safe environment

We have a range of members, from somewhat good to brand new (beginner) riders.

As a starting point, new riders (new to gymkhana) usually do straight line exercises or circle exercises. Possibly jumping to a figure 8 exercise as well.

For more experienced riders we set up an intricate course, varying weekly that consists of, but is not limited to, slalom, 360 circles, 90 degree turns, all with differing radius and speed levels.

We usually try and set up a couple of figure 8's (GP-8, a circle, and a more intricate course at a minimum). If more people show up, then we lay down more exercises!

OUR GROUP

We are a group of everyday, average riders attempting to formulize what it takes to get good at moto gymkhana. We want to grow the sport and figure out what makes moto gymkhana riders click. We want to develop ourselves into the best riders we can be!

Again, we really just want to grow the sport in Ontario, and Canada as a whole.

WHY MOTO GYMKHANA?

This style of riding teaches us not to use the clutch for slow maneuvers, a technique we are not taught in our learn-to-ride courses.

For those of us who practise, we prefer this method over using the clutch...

By practising these exercises, members find their street riding improves as well!

There's nothing better for boosting your confidence on the road knowing that you can take a slalom at elevated speeds or that you can get your handlebars turned all the way over to full-lock without using the clutch and without dropping your bike!

And did I mention that these techniques apply to ANY motorcycle? Cruisers to sport bikes to dirt bikes... it's all the same technique!

We have been told through the grape vine that Honda's Rock The Red, and thus their in-house moto gymkhana competition, will not be happening this year...

We don't like this and are taking action!

We want to grow the sport enough so that we can have competitions internally, but we need active members coming out and practising in order to do that!

Why not come out to simply watch how it's done...?

Why not come out and show us how it's done...?

Why not come out and get better at riding with like minded motorcyclists...?

Please like our facebook group:

If you'd like to attend our practise sessions, just PM the group and we will let you know when and where we train

Feel free to ask any questions here.

Hope to see you all dodging cones in the near future!

Disclaimer: we are not moto gymkhana instructors, and not motorcycle instructors in general and by attending our sessions every rider assumes their own risk for both body and motorcycle. We are not associated with any riding school. These events are practise sessions only, where like minded riders come together and practise exercises alongside each other. In short, you ride at your own risk.

Sincerely,

a couple of motorcyclists just wanting to get better at riding!

Last edited:
Re: Moto Gymkhana GTA

I take it that if you're mapping isn't totally smooth for 1st gear at low speed this is going to be more difficult? I got round jerkiness under those conditions on old bikes by feathering the clutch

Hey JC,

You'd be surprised how many "unsmooth" motorcycles can still excel at moto gymkhana!

Essentially, it is possible with some engine configurations (big harley, thumper enduro) that it is so unsmooth at low speeds that the clutch is necessary.

However, in practise we have seen that with some time and experience, any motorcycle can do moto gymkhana without using the clutch.

Generally, in the moto gymkhana world, we say that using the clutch for these exercises is simply compensation for bad throttle control.

There is definitely a time and place to use the clutch. It is a vital tool within motorcycling.

But we have found that many exercises can be done without it, including everything we practise that pertains to moto gymkhana.

In short, there's only one way to find out, and that's by coming to one of our sessions and trying it for yourself!

I will say that you can test this stuff out in a straight line with your bike upright, but you'll have to come to a session in order to figure that one out.

There are cases (such as bad fuelling) where the bike cannot be ridden smoothly without use of the clutch. However, we have found that what a lot of riders assume is bad fuelling, or jerkiness at low speeds, can be remedied with rider technique and practise.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

We meet at different locations and varying times.

And for multiple reasons (one being we want to ride, and not have a motorcycle meeting spot), we don't publicly say where we meet and when.

I would like our facebook page, and then PM the group and ask about details.

I just joined your Facebook group. Thanks!

Where do you guys generally meet?

Last edited:
Shoot me a PM with details and I'll do my best to keep you guys in the know.

I'm not sure how liability would work if an issue did arise... The fact that the bike is not insured could be an issue that other riders wouldn't want to deal with. I cannot speak entirely for the group as I am merely 1 member out of many.

I suggest you like the facebook page and message the group, they will make that decision as a whole.

Can i join with a dedicated track bike?

Thanks

Feel free to shoot me a private message, I'll try my best to let people know details as they become available.

what if you aren't on facebook.

Can i join with a dedicated track bike?

Thanks

A parking lot is private property but with assumed public access. I would think that you could be charged with not having insurance if you're caught even riding in a parking lot. I could be wrong though. Maybe you should ask this question of some of our more insurance-savvy members on GTAM.

A parking lot is private property but with assumed public access. I would think that you could be charged with not having insurance if you're caught even riding in a parking lot. I could be wrong though. Maybe you should ask this question of some of our more insurance-savvy members on GTAM.

Nope, not if the parkinglot is closed. I assume if we do this, the parkinglot will be closed just like m1exit riding school is.

Hey guys,

As seen on the facebook public page, they request insured motorcycles.

I believe at this current time we would prefer all motorcycles to be plated and insured...

Perhaps if we ever secure a more formal lot and backing by a school or manufacturer, but as it stands we really want to mitigate liability if anything were to happen.

Having a plated and insured motorcycle is part of that liability coverage.

Nope, not if the parking lot is closed. I assume if we do this, the parking lot will be closed just like m1exit riding school is.

May I ask a few more questions?

a) Do you get permission to use the parking lot by the property owner?
b) Is the parking lot closed to public access when practicing?
c) Have you ever caught the police's attention and do you think there is any risk of being charged with stunting?

This style of riding teaches us not to use the clutch for slow maneuvers, a technique we are not taught in our learn-to-ride courses.

For those of us who practise, we prefer this method over using the clutch...

What is the advantage of not using the clutch? Is it simply to practise throttle control?

I look forward to trying this out.

May I ask a few more questions?

a) Do you get permission to use the parking lot by the property owner?
b) Is the parking lot closed to public access when practicing?
c) Have you ever caught the police's attention and do you think there is any risk of being charged with stunting?
We've done it in front of cops taking a break in the lot. They don't care. They do the same for requalification on their own cruisers.

Back
Top Bottom