Purchasing a Motorcycle! HELP!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Purchasing a Motorcycle! HELP!!

waqeezy

Hi, I will be purchasing a zx6r this weekend and have a few questions. What info will i need to bring to the ministry to get plates? I know I will need the seller's ownership info, proof of sale (letter of sale ), insurance policy number. The bike has not been safetied yet but it will easily pass. Will I be able to get plates without safety? Or temporary plates? Am i missing anything else?

Thanks.

Signed ownership. UVIP - I've also completed/used that as the bill of sale.

If the current registr. is 'FIT', then you can get a T(emp) sticker / registr / plate - will let you ride to get a safety - then you'll have to go back to get a new regisr / sticker.

I don't believe they call to verify at that time. But read the fine print on the form - there is a separate offence for making a false statement ($10,000 fine?). If they check later or you get caught later that may be enforced.

Well I had insurance on my old bike and I am going to use that policy number to get the bike to my place. And then I will put new insurance on this bike. I just want legitimate plates so that I can ride the bike to my house.

Purchasing from a friend so I wont be paying a lot of money for it. Do they go by book value or what I actually paid for it ?

Wouldn't it be better to check with your insurance company and make sure that your insurance is legit, rather than your plate?

Well I had insurance on my old bike and I am going to use that policy number to get the bike to my place. And then I will put new insurance on this bike. I just want legitimate plates so that I can ride the bike to my house.

Service Ontario won' check the policy # when you go to get plates/sticker. If this new bike hasn't been added to your policy by your agent, then you _are_ making a false statement.

Most likely nothing will happen during 'get the bike to my place'. There is risk that something may happen, or you may just get stopped to check papers. Then you will cry.

Call your insurance company, Make it legal.

Service Ontario won' check the policy # when you go to get plates/sticker. If this new bike hasn't been added to your policy by your agent, then you _are_ making a false statement.

Most likely nothing will happen during 'get the bike to my place'. There is risk that something may happen, or you may just get stopped to check papers. Then you will cry.

Call your insurance company, Make it legal.
Particularly with a Temp sticker; cops know all the same tricks we do, they'll be looking for smart fellas like yourself. You got an extra $5k just incase? And thats best case, if you hit something you'll be sued for damages; $5k can quickly turn into $30k. Just some food for thought

Edit: Plus the above mentioned fine for making a false statement... $$$

Last edited:
Particularly with a Temp sticker; cops know all the same tricks we do, they'll be looking for smart fellas like yourself. You got an extra $5k just incase? And thats best case, if you hit something you'll be sued for damages; $5k can quickly turn into $30k. Just some food for thought

And then some. "Don't taze me bro". BTW, lovin' the bold feature.

Purchasing from a friend so I wont be paying a lot of money for it. Do they go by book value or what I actually paid for it ?

Service Ontario will go by the bill-of-sale you present. There's no reference book for motorcycles (like there is for cars). Seller may get a letter in the future from CRA asking them to confirm what the sale amount was.

Purchasing from a friend

So then why not borrow bike from friend to get safetied or have friend take it to get safetied. Once safetied, call insurance and get coverage. THEN go to MTO to get plates?

You know . . . the way you're supposed to do it.

And then some. "Don't taze me bro". BTW, lovin' the bold feature.

I'VE NOTICED :cool:

So then why not borrow bike from friend to get safetied or have friend take it to get safetied. Once safetied, call insurance and get coverage. THEN go to MTO to get plates?

You know . . . the way you're supposed to do it.

Friend likely didn't have the bike on the road this season. OP, is this bike in the Walker's line area? I know the seller if yes. Anyway, back to the point, if you're going to safety it right away I presume you're going to ride it right away, so unless the plan is to not insure it at all, it makes no sense to not call up and insure it before you pick it up... So, what's the plan really?

Insurance is the easiest thing to do, why would you bother to try and do it this way? Call your insurance guy, tell him the make and model of the new bike, pay the difference for insurance, if any and you are done. Not complicated.

Back
Top Bottom