Dirt and track courses for street riders | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dirt and track courses for street riders

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Will they help my riding? Why? How? When?

(I thought that it would be better to have this in a separate topic)

I didn't find that either dirt or track courses significantly improved my skills in the long term - there just wasn't enough time in a single day to absorb everything. That's not to say that I didn't learn anything from them, just that building new skills requires more repetition than can be obtained in a day or two. But they were incredibly fun, and I'd totally recommend either to anyone who is considering it.

A few seasons of primarily off road riding have altered my riding habits, though. Dropping the bike offroad is commonplace, and you learn quickly to not bother trying to hold it up - you'll just hurt yourself for no good reason. You'll also get much better at dealing with low traction situations and avoiding target fixation - there are trees, roots, rocks and slippery spots everywhere, so you get lots of practice looking where you want to go and letting the bike bounce around underneath you through obstacles. Low speed balance skills also get a good workout.

Street riding for me is much more about predicting what traffic around me will do than bike control. So except for theoretical emergency situations, perhaps the most noticeable benefit on the street is just that I have more attention to devote to traffic without thinking about controlling the bike as much.

The major drawback of getting dirt or track experience is realizing how boring street riding actually is on the roads around here.

I asked the same question to a few forum members. The general concensus is yes, they will. And keep in mind that I ride a cruiser.
First off, I'm of the school of thought that you can never learn too much, therefore any lessons will be beneficial. Dirt riding will kick your *** physically, so you will learn to have more control of the bike. Can everything be carried over? No. But imo enough can be learned.
I personally want to learn more about turns and leaning. I found myself drifting too far on sweeping turns, and track should help that.
I am actually considering the Total Control course first, as I think some of the low speed riding and turns will be covered.
(Sorry, I may not have given you enough specifics of what you were looking for.)

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I didn't find that either dirt or track courses significantly improved my skills in the long term - there just wasn't enough time in a single day to absorb everything. That's not to say that I didn't learn anything from them, just that building new skills requires more repetition than can be obtained in a day or two. But they were incredibly fun, and I'd totally recommend either to anyone who is considering it.

A few seasons of primarily off road riding have altered my riding habits, though. Dropping the bike offroad is commonplace, and you learn quickly to not bother trying to hold it up - you'll just hurt yourself for no good reason. You'll also get much better at dealing with low traction situations and avoiding target fixation - there are trees, roots, rocks and slippery spots everywhere, so you get lots of practice looking where you want to go and letting the bike bounce around underneath you through obstacles. Low speed balance skills also get a good workout.

Street riding for me is much more about predicting what traffic around me will do than bike control. So except for theoretical emergency situations, perhaps the most noticeable benefit on the street is just that I have more attention to devote to traffic without thinking about controlling the bike as much.

The major drawback of getting dirt or track experience is realizing how boring street riding actually is on the roads around here.

Dont know about your end of the woods but these tons of dirt roads that start at the end of street roads near me. Always somewhere new to explore.

Total control would be a good thing to do for me but they haven't held one nearby yet. Dirt school is on the cards too. Zero interest in going round and round a track though.

You need a summer riding dirt tho the week long course at Chatsworth will be a great start. Buy a small Honda 230 or some such - leave it up there ....no insurance and go have fun.

Street riders should always tackle off pavement from time to time no matter what they ride. There are some very nice roads to get comfortable off pavement just north of the GTA

Last edited:
I honestly feel bad for you guys. What did you city slickers do for fun when you were growing up, dances at the community centre every Friday?

Brutal

Any sort of formal training is going to be beneficial. Everything you learn from an offroad course, may not translate to road riding, and vice versa, but the important things like bike control will. Training on slippery surfaces, will prepare you better for when you hit a patch of gravel on the road, a construction site, rain etc... A track lesson will definitely teach you better cornering practices. It's not all about going faster. Better control, and understanding of what's happening with the bike underneath you, will lead to higher controllable speeds. I've ridden offroad for over 20 yrs. Started as a child. Didn't take my first lesson till I was in my 30's. I learned a ton. Mostly about positioning and technique. But I now conquer challenging terrain, faster, and with more confidence.
I think everyone should take a sychology class for road riding. How to understand the drivers around you 101!

I'm doing the Total Control course next weekend after considering a track course and dirt course as well. I think for city riding it probably has the most usable content. I also plan on doing one training course per year, so I will probably end up doing a dirt and track course as well at some point.

I took a couple of one day courses at Yamaha Riding Adventures when I was first starting to ride. Benefits I found where ; a) slow speed control. b) really understanding look where you want to go. c) chance to safely experience rear wheel sliding under over heavy braking

Nice thing is they group you by experience and adjust "lessons" accordingly

I honestly feel bad for you guys. What did you city slickers do for fun when you were growing up, dances at the community centre every Friday?

Brutal

Dunno, guess we just gained maturity and the ability to act like adults.

Join this group on facebook.

We try and meet once a week for practise.

Come out a couple times and I guarantee you will become a better rider.

Its a whole lot of fun learning how to do "slow maneuvers" WITHOUT using the clutch!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/motogymkhanagta/

Trail Tours is always fun. Makes you learn to to trust your tires and not fear loss of traction.

Dunno, guess we just gained maturity and the ability to act like adults.

You really do think you are the center of the universe eh. Fact is, Toronto is an embarrassment to the country. There are some decent areas along the waterfront like Port Credit but even the higher end areas have become infected over the last handful of years. 1/8th of the city is high end, the rest of it is just about as close to a third world dumpster fire you can get in Canada. It's disgusting tbh.

Meh, Kingston's not much better than Toronto. :p I had a DMP minibike at the cottage. Not much land, but the road in wasn't too bad to scoot around on.

I'm doing the Total Control course next weekend after considering a track course and dirt course as well. I think for city riding it probably has the most usable content. I also plan on doing one training course per year, so I will probably end up doing a dirt and track course as well at some point.
I did total control, and I have done formal dirt training twice (plus a bunch of rides). Dirt is much, much harder, and much more fun. As someone said above dirt teaches a level of concentration that is leagues above 'hang off look where you wanna go'. Every rock log tree and rut is a fun peril to negotiate. In Toronto commuter traffic dirt experience is most valuable.

P.S. Total control was good fun though. But mostly valuable for the spirited riding I rarely do.

Last edited:
I have a few years of dirt experience, on everything from little CT Baha's to a WR450F. I agree that it teaches you the little things; balance, target fixation, slipping tires and crashing bikes. I haven't done a legitimate course for dirt, but every little bit of practice helps! Dirt is also WAY more of a workout. When I had to pick up my little CBR, it felt like a feather compared to being out of breath and tired then picking up a big nasty 450!

I have a few years of dirt experience, on everything from little CT Baha's to a WR450F. I agree that it teaches you the little things; balance, target fixation, slipping tires and crashing bikes. I haven't done a legitimate course for dirt, but every little bit of practice helps! Dirt is also WAY more of a workout. When I had to pick up my little CBR, it felt like a feather compared to being out of breath and tired then picking up a big nasty 450!

So you've been down on your 300 have you?

Back
Top Bottom