Alternate choice to a VFR | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternate choice to a VFR

yeah..sorry, im sure youve been scouring the kijiji and autotrader for deals....nice 4th gens seem to come up every few months....good luck with your search !

Don't apologize doc ;) I appreciate you looking out.

Yeah some nice 4th gens crop up once in awhile.

I'm not a Fan of the GSXR front.

The GSX1250 looks like a great bike. I've been spending the past 2 days reading reviews and reading forums about it and it seems like a great all rounder. I really like it (minus the front end and that HUGE exhaust can lol) But from what I am getting from what I read, it is a heavier, less sporty, and less refined bike than what I am used to. Very plain. Does the job. jack of all trades master of none. I like the idea of that big torquey motor.

I think I'd need to test ride one to see what it's like. I'm a small dude and the VFR is already almost too big.

"I'm not a Fan of the GSXR front" - gotcha. LOL the exhaust is huge, it's like a fire extinguisher, and the handlebars could use a swap out too.

"I'm not a Fan of the GSXR front" - gotcha. LOL the exhaust is huge, it's like a fire extinguisher, and the handlebars could use a swap out too.

LOL. Yeah it does look like an extinguisher.

I never noticed the handlebars.

I like the idea of the GSX1250FA. It just kinda drab

CBF1000FA 2010 and up.
My old tourer was a Bandit 650 and was supposed to go up to a 1250. I ended up getting the CBF which has the same geometry and feel as the Bandit 650.

Combined Linked_ABS-. Ample engine but you will miss the grunt of the engine (comparing with a Honda 919 and Bandit 1250).

Adjustable seat and windshiled(on the fly-not on 2009 and below) with 3 position.

2010 and up are lighter with 4in to 1 exhaust.

Did a Bunburner gold on it from Sturgis to Dover and I still went to PA for the weekend from Dover.

350-400km/tank 400(best tank) 20 L tank

12000km interval before oil change!!!!! (as per honda) I still changed at 8000.

CBF1000 is 19 litres and I got 330 km yesterday on 18 litre fill up ....pushing it cuz we're travelling in remote areas next month and kid has quite short range and I want to know what mine is. I was pleased with that distance but that was not at slab speeds. ( only maybe 40 km )

If you want to try the CBF then pm me. I think you'll enjoy it as the other guy coming from a CB750 did.
PM Zoodles95 to see his feedback.

I still say that $4300 CBF1000 machine is the best value for what you are looking for. I did not like the VTec kick in either when I tried out the current VFR1200. Did not like the seating position either.
Much prefer the smooth acceleration curve on the CBF and more upright seating.

Too funny that you posted this. I was considering recommending the CBF1000 as a possibility after riding your bike. Plenty of power for 2UP, and that motor just goes and goes. Not a flat spot anywhere. It may not have the peak power of the Fireblade but there is HP and Torque everywhere. Braking and fueling is so well sorted. I was amazed at how light the bike was and how it all just "worked" as a complete unit.

Some other great suggestions on this thread like the Ninja 1000 but your bike is right up there as a nice sport tourer which the OP should really check out. :)

Well I know the title of the thead is "alternative choice to a VFR", but ...

I've owned a few bikes, and yes, <read some!> 6th gens suffer from a pre-vtec shutter is my best attempt at describing what you are most likely experiencing with your 05. Here's the skinny. I've owned 3 6ths and the only one that suffered from this was my 07. An amazing bike to look at, ride, and well-equipped for what I used the bike for, but in the end bailed on it <read prematurely!>. I've since owned an 02 and 03. Both transitioned silky smooth. Yes, these bikes had the "step" once into vtec, but it was just there. No studder, no vibes, nada; like you entered into a powerband with an instant change in exhaust tone. I think it comes down to the bike & fueling. Maybe your valves need adjusting, or you can grab a Power Commander.

I know some in-liners have been mentioned. Ever feel one pre-powerband? They can suffer from a similar fuel delivery issue causing some not-so-nice vibes at a certain rpm. As mentioned in a previous post, "Not a flat spot anywhere" is an observation of a somewhat global problem.

All said I'm now back to riding another 5th and loving it. This is my 2nd long-term vfr and plan on keeping her for a while. They do not look the best if you need to go the serious luggage route which is where your gen rocks! If you need a second opinion, or wish to evaluate a 5th, by all means lets ride.

Last edited:
I think a gen 5 vfr came up for way too much money on the vfr mailing list this week. I know it shouldn't have to be said but check insurance on the ninja and cbf as some insurance companies classify them as super sports because the name is so close to the race versions.
I went from a vfr 750 gen 3 to a vstrom 1000 for legroom reasons, you might check out the sister bike the sv1000, has plenty of oomph. Besides Honda I can't think of any other v fours that may be reasonable in price... Doubt you want a vmax, and the Ducati and aprilia have the European surcharge to go with them and parts, and I don't know about aprilia but I've known a few Ducati owners that have had their bikes in the shop more than they've ridden them.

Lots of good advice here people. Thank you very much.

The CBF1000 and the GSX1250 seem like good choices but they are so bland to my eyes. I don't like the half-fairing of the CBF and the nose of the GSX. Also if the CBF1000 has a motor I gotta wind out to get going I don't want it. My current VFR lacks the low end and mid-range that my old VFR750 did. Why they went to a larger displacement and added this VTEC mumbo-jumbo to lose all the power low down is beyond me.

Or maybe cause it's heavier?

"There are some scratches - and a dent in the tank" No thank you. I turned down other bikes I saw for less.

Nice bike Rob.
Here's another - http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?197123-1994-Honda-VFR750&p=2416441#post2416441

Makes me want another VFR, but I would have to give up eating or something...

lol! Thanks. I sent him an e-mail.

Owned 5th gen VFR, sold it and bought a ZX9, then went to a first gen FZ1.

All excellent bikes, but if i was to buy one of them back it would be FZ1. Add hard bags and a screen and you are set, FZ1's can be picked up for cheap.

I had an Italian car once and it was nothing but trouble. I'd hate to be on a road trip and my bike would "go all Italian on me" as they say in Top Gear.

My Italian bike blew up 3/4 of the way to North Bay, lol. That was fun to deal with. That's how I found out that the maintenance intervals I found online were for the newbie limited version of the bike with half the HP in the UK. Oops. Guess that's why the maintenance indicator came on two or three times before that.

My Italian bike blew up 3/4 of the way to North Bay, lol. That was fun to deal with. That's how I found out that the maintenance intervals I found online were for the newbie limited version of the bike with half the HP in the UK. Oops. Guess that's why the maintenance indicator came on two or three times before that.

LOL! Jeeeeeeezus.

Well thank you all for the suggestions and advice. I really do appreciate it and I have a new found respect for the GSX1250FA and Bandit. I never even knew it existed before this thread.

This past weeks I looked at quite a few bikes. Surprising how many people won't let you test ride their bikes even if you pull up on a pristine 2005 VFR800. lol

I test rode a 5th gen VFR800 and fell in love with it. It was immediate apparent that the 6th gen VFR is lacking in the Low and mid range department. Also for some reason they decided concrete would be a great material to make seats from.
The 5th gen felt like an updated version of my old 4th gen. (which is what I was expecting from the 6th gen)

So I tested a few more VFR800's and a couple VFR750's (which weren't in great shape :( ) I looked at a GSX1250FA and a CBF1000 but both didn't impress me appearance wise. (and they both lack certain aspects that the VFR's have)
To be honest I was looking at the CBF's a long time ago but they always felt to me like they were missing something.

So I found a nice clean red 2000 VFR800 with a Two brothers high mount pipe. Really great shape mechanically and cosmetically. Already has heated grips and 12v socket. It runs great and sounds amazing.

Now I just gotta sell the '05 VFR

Back
Top Bottom