Alternate choice to a VFR | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternate choice to a VFR

slowbird

Long story short a car cut me off and wrote off my baby. It was a 1997 VFR750. It had around 65,000kms on it but ran like a clock.

I replaced it with a 2005 VFR800 and so far I'm not impressed. I'm not giving up on it yet but I'm thinking about it (hence this thread) I miss the buttery smooth throttle of my carbureted '97. The Fuel Injection and the VTEC on this model is....unimpressive. I would say I have to get used to it and maybe do a tune up on it (and I will) but from all I have read it is a common complaint. So it's not just me.

So I guess my options are get it "Tuned" at a shop to "fix" it. Or sell it and find something else.

What are the related choices for a replacement bike?

I'm looking for something reliable with long service intervals. Sport Touring preferably.

Did the 97 have gear driven cams? That would likely be the biggest difference between the two viffers...

sorry about your '97 , they were sweet bikes.....glad youre ok
.......apparently on the latest generation vfr they really smoothed out the vtec transition, to the point where its almost unnoticeable
.... its lighter than your '05 because they ditched the underseat exhaust
......LED headlights and heated grips are std eqpt
.......theres also pretty deep discounts on them right now....might be worth a demo day test ride.

Last edited:
I went from an '07 VFR to an FJR1300 and couldn't be happier!
FJR is very smooth, tons of power, can cruise all day and it's still very sporty for 'spirited' riding!
Very happy with the switch. The only thing I miss is the sound of that V4.....

Price range?

No more than 8k. Looking used obviously. :wink:

Did the 97 have gear driven cams? That would likely be the biggest difference between the two viffers...

Yes the '97 had Gear Driven cams. However there are quite a few differences between the '97 (4th gen) and the '05 (6th gen). Some good some bad.

sorry about your '97 , they were sweet bikes.....glad youre ok
.......apparently on the latest generation vfr they really smoothed out the vtec transition, to the point where its almost unnoticeable
.... its lighter than your '05 because they ditched the underseat exhaust
......LED headlights and heated grips are std eqpt
.......theres also pretty deep discounts on them right now....might be worth a demo day test ride.

I thought about them but they're a bit out of my price range. I haven't seen any discounts on them yet. They're all over $10k.

I went from an '07 VFR to an FJR1300 and couldn't be happier!
FJR is very smooth, tons of power, can cruise all day and it's still very sporty for 'spirited' riding!
Very happy with the switch. The only thing I miss is the sound of that V4.....

Thats good to hear! Yeah the V4 is addictive. Thanks for sharing.

The VFR was sort of an odd duck. Not a whole lot of direct comparisons to be made. Your price range does limit you to used bikes but there are lots of nice used bikes in that price range. You could look at a Yamaha FZ1 or a Kawasaki Z750s as they are sort of in that middle weight sport touring theme. You could also find an '05-'07ish FJR or ST1300 in that price range if you want something smooth that leans a little more towards to touring side. I'm partial to Suzuki Bandits and often lust after a 1250 version. Lots of 1250 Bandit/GSX1250F's available with a full set of luggage in your price range and while the 1250 isn't the most powerful motor on the block anymore, it still has plenty of grunt and is BULLET PROOF!

+1 to Bandit 1200/ 1250. May need some suspension work, depending on how hard you wanna go in the twisties. They are cheap and are Armageddon proof.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Best deal on Kiji if its still there,

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...0a/1166369696?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

total sleeper, under 500 lb, detuned FireBlade motor

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/living-with-a-2006-honda-cbf1000/15631.html
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cbf1000/2006/

incredible torque curve....

huge in Europe as a light sports tourer - almost unheard of here...love mine.

insurance was no more than my Vstrom 650.

You would never beleive it's a litre bike looking at it or sitting on it...

honda-cbf1000-10.jpg

But it will keep up with anything you are looking at plus throw the bags on and head to PA.[/img]

Screen20Shot202015-10-1220at20Oct2012202020202015202020206.44.0620PM_zpsigb5yhd8.jpg

Very pleased with mine. I did 4 trips in the US between mid Sept and mind Nov last year...motor will go forever. Doing 3 weeks to the east coast next month and at least my kid on his FZ8 can't run away :D

VFR800 USED to be one of my short list bikes..... ;)

Last edited:
Lots of 1250 Bandit/GSX1250F's available with a full set of luggage in your price range and while the 1250 isn't the most powerful motor on the block anymore, it still has plenty of grunt and is BULLET PROOF!

Those are important qualities to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

The VFR was sort of an odd duck. Not a whole lot of direct comparisons to be made. Your price range does limit you to used bikes but there are lots of nice used bikes in that price range. You could look at a Yamaha FZ1 or a Kawasaki Z750s as they are sort of in that middle weight sport touring theme. You could also find an '05-'07ish FJR or ST1300 in that price range if you want something smooth that leans a little more towards to touring side. I'm partial to Suzuki Bandits and often lust after a 1250 version. Lots of 1250 Bandit/GSX1250F's available with a full set of luggage in your price range and while the 1250 isn't the most powerful motor on the block anymore, it still has plenty of grunt and is BULLET PROOF!
I can vouche for 1250 bandit I have absolutely pounded my bike for 5 years now put gas oil and go except usual wear items it now has 65000 km and runs like first day still. Have no issues at all with handling and beleive me she keeps up with anyone in the twistys.
Its a low compression engine which wants regular gas and lets just say the tourque is addictive and ready anywhere in the powerband. Peak torgue is at 2300 rpm.
You can probably find a 07 for less than 4 gs I got mine for 5 g with 5000km on it and will never get rid of her even though another bike coming next season.

I put over 100k on my Bandit 1250, every km was raped onto that bike and she just begged for more.
Only ever changed the chain and sprockets at almost 80k, besides that just basic maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BMW f800st or f800gt. The st evolved into the gt.

Long story short a car cut me off and wrote off my baby. It was a 1997 VFR750. It had around 65,000kms on it but ran like a clock.

I replaced it with a 2005 VFR800 and so far I'm not impressed. I'm not giving up on it yet but I'm thinking about it (hence this thread) I miss the buttery smooth throttle of my carbureted '97. The Fuel Injection and the VTEC on this model is....unimpressive. I would say I have to get used to it and maybe do a tune up on it (and I will) but from all I have read it is a common complaint. So it's not just me.

So I guess my options are get it "Tuned" at a shop to "fix" it. Or sell it and find something else.

I'm looking for something reliable with long service intervals. Sport Touring preferably.

Tuono is a decent choice too if you dont mind a more naked bike. Riding cross country on mine right now.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Those are important qualities to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another bonus to the FJR is that people regularly get 200,000+kms with not much more than regular maintenance. Plus it's shaft drive, so no chain to deal with which was a huge plus for me!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-sport-p...00/1163580704?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have 65,000 kms on my 2011. Everyone puts on a 55 rear to improve turn in. Mid-range torque is amazing for a 4. And if you really need, Ivan's latest tune can bump up 11 hp without a power commander and just the ECU & airbox mods.

Check with your insurance company first. Some think they are SS. I was able to convince mine otherwise.

Last edited:

The Ninja 1000 is the bike Honda should have built when they updated/upgraded the VFR:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasaki...motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=9_15_18
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasaki...otorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=11_15_18
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasaki...motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=7_15_18
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasaki...otorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=12_15_18

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom