Dodge Grand Caravan | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dodge Grand Caravan

the macular degenerated type
Hey now! Not all of us AMDers are elderly. (Unfortunately ?)

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Why? That makes no sense. We already established the women we date have opposing physical characteristics.
Can't do it can you? I win! Grannies, bring your mobility scooters to papa!

I was minivan shopping last fall. My wife and I are tall (6'2" and 6'5" respectively) and we found the caravan's front seats too cramped for us. Also the ride was rough and noisy with all the rattles and shakes. I really wanted to love the caravan at the price point, but in the end it just wouldn't fit us.
The Sedona's best quality was how easy it was to see 360 degrees from the cockpit, but the transmission was rough and you really had to push it hard to get it to pass.
The Toyota and Honda are identical for all practical measures. Very smooth vehicles. Engine, transmission and suspension very refined. Choose your preferred style or options package. We went with the Odyssey as it came in a little cheaper than the Toyota for the trim level we wanted. It is not fun to drive, but it seats 8 (have done it with 4 kids in car seats - not all of them mine!) and has lots of room for hauling things. Service is every 18,000kms on the Honda - I had to check this a couple of times, didn't seem right. So factor that in. Just had the first service, no complaints whatsoever - besides being boring to drive.

Last edited:
I was minivan shopping last fall. My wife and I are tall (6'2" and 6'5" respectively) and we found the caravan's front seats too cramped for us. Also the ride was rough and noisy with all the rattles and shakes. I really wanted to love the caravan at the price point, but in the end it just wouldn't fit us.
The Sedona's best quality was how easy it was to see 360 degrees from the cockpit, but the transmission was rough and you really had to push it hard to get it to pass.
The Toyota and Honda are identical for all practical measures. Very smooth vehicles. Engine, transmission and suspension very refined. Choose your preferred style or options package. We went with the Odyssey as it came in a little cheaper than the Toyota for the trim level we wanted. It is not fun to drive, but it seats 8 (have done it with 4 kids in car seats - not all of them mine!) and has lots of room for hauling things. Service is every 18,000kms on the Honda - I had to check this a couple of times, didn't seem right. So factor that in. Just had the first service, no complaints whatsoever - besides being boring to drive.

Maybe you should have got the sport model:D

Always had to laugh at "sport" models of things like minivans. Same goes for SUVs. Kinda like a "race" version of a cruiser. Then again, I bought a Montana cause it had a tach....but at least it wasn't cause it was sporty.

Bang for the buck is better than anything else of comparable size. Being that you want a new or late model lightly used one, it will have the 3.6 Pentastar V6 and 62TE transmission. My big van (Promaster) has the same drivetrain and it is good - plenty of power, smooth and quiet, and it's not bad on fuel. Chrysler minivans have a reputation for bad transmissions but that's been fixed, and early Pentastars (2012 model year) had some cylinder head issues but that's long since fixed.
So I'm currently looking for a used minivan. My budget drops me squarely in the 2012-13 model years. Should I steer clear of those 3.6 vans or just buy an older 3.8? I really don't want the 3.3 as its rated at 1800lbs towing.
The 3.6 is a great engine, I just don't want a problem year.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Actually, what you can do to make a minivan tripod in corners is to put on a set of stickier/responsive summer tires, and of course, have a dedicated set of winters
A tire like the Continental DW will completely transform a soccer mom car to… something like an AMG version of one, less the power obviously..

So I'm currently looking for a used minivan. My budget drops me squarely in the 2012-13 model years. Should I steer clear of those 3.6 vans or just buy an older 3.8? I really don't want the 3.3 as its rated at 1800lbs towing.
The 3.6 is a great engine, I just don't want a problem year.

If the cylinder head issue hasn't shown up by 100k, it probably never will.

Ok...first off, NOTHING MAKES LIFE EASIER THAN A VAN ;) My Buddy swore up and down that he would NEVER own a soccer mom vehicle...till he became that soccer mom with 2 boys. He borrowed mine for a week while I was away...SOLD!!!
Have had 3 Caravans...not because I love the Dodge...I ACTUALLY GREW TO HATE THEM! Why would I choose to own 3??? Because I love a good punch to my throat and because the depreciation on the Dodge was so high, I became trapped at turnover time. I could get $6-7000 off a new Caravan if I traded it in on another. Honda would give me a charity offer of $1500 and tell me outright WE DON'T WANT IT. I had so many issues with electrical , power door, wiper motors, ac compressors, brake longevity was a joke, recalls, paint issues, etc...etc... My first had multiple panel repaints, on the house ;), My second brand new one was in 17 times in the first 2 years...my last had the fuse box replaced 3 times (there was a nice cover on the top, they never sealed the bottom...you know, where the connections are and THE ROAD SIDE ABOVE THE WHEEL SPRAY)
INITIAL BANG FOR THE BUCK...CARAVAN WINS HANDS DOWN! FINANCIAL MISTAKE AND MENTAL FRUSTRATION...CARAVAN WINS HANDS DOWN...AGAIN. I should have video taped some of my epic battles with the dreaded power door...I OFTEN CONTEMPLATED SCREWING IT CLOSED...VERY OFTEN! On a positive...my kids quickly learned the many versions and appropriate usage of swear words, and how important the timing was in use of said words...
Insert palm to face here...lol The one good thing is that you could unlatch the power door drive and slam the thing to get rid of a little (lot) rage...the Honda is only power so you can't self calm by reefing on it.
If I had a dollar for every time my wife or I said we hated it and vowed there would never be another in the driveway...those P O S (X3) WOULD HAVE BEEN FREE! Dodge makes some of the best LOOKING vehicles on the road!!! BUT IT'S SIMPLY JUST LIKE PUTTING NAIL POLISH ON A PIG. All vehicles are money pits plain and simple...BUT we have loved our last 2 Odysseys. Both had their brakes turned by the second service BUT NO ISSUE OF WARPING AFTER THAT (I blame my wife for her late braking ;)) My lease is up in May...and I promise you, THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER CHRYSLER IN MY DRIVEWAY!
That being said...MY BUDDY AT WORK LOVED THE ONE GOOD CARAVAN HE HAD...LOL
Cheers, Sadz.

Last edited:
That being said...MY BUDDY AT WORK LOVED THE ONE GOOD ONE HE HAD...LOL
Cheers, Sadz.

Haha! Love how you toss a wrench in at the end of your otherwise perfect denunciation of ChryCo minivans!

But yeah, for x amount of money you're better off in the long run with an older Honda/Toyota than a newer Caravan.

Did some service this fall (brake pads and a ball joint) and counted that I've spent $602.24 a year in maintenance over the past 6 years on my 2002 Odyssey, not including the $3500 for a new tranny after I shifted into reverse while doing about 40km/h. Obviously, anyone who doesn't drive like a complete moron wouldn't have to spend that money. But on the plus side, at least my van was still worth more than the cost of the transmission.

Last edited:
I will state again that I have owned 2 Caravans (and miss the room I had in them!) Bought both with 100k+ on them. Drove both for 6 years each. 1st one cost me ~$800/year to own. 2nd ~$2000/ year. Those are both wins in my book. My sister paid more for her newer used odessy and had to scrap it a year later, so you can get burned no matter the brand (fyi,I'm a Honda fan boy -- civic, accord, (previous ) Pilot and Shadow (current).
@Iceman not sure where your budget is, but imh(not profeshinal)o, getting a $10,000 Caravan will give you best bang for buck.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I will state again that I have owned 2 Caravans (and miss the room I had in them!) Bought both with 100k+ on them. Drove both for 6 years each. 1st one cost me ~$800/year to own. 2nd ~$2000/ year. Those are both wins in my book. My sister paid more for her newer used odessy and had to scrap it a year later, so you can get burned no matter the brand (fyi,I'm a Honda fan boy -- civic, accord, (previous ) Pilot and Shadow (current).
@Iceman not sure where your budget is, but imh(not profeshinal)o, getting a $10,000 Caravan will give you best bang for buck.

Respect your positive experience with the Crapavan but what do you mean by ownership cost? Normally that would include insurance, depreciation, parking, fees, and operating costs like maintenance, fuel...

@fastar1 talking what I paid + non reg maintenance - what I got for it when I sold.
I did get pretty good deals ($8k & $11k taxes in). I don’t include tires, oil, insurance etc, as I would pay those anyway. I also stay away from ones with all the bells and whistles. Manual doors and hatch if possible, less things to break.
I paid $7 for my 2005 Pilot in May/14. No major work besides normal stuff (brakes, tires, oil changes etc) So to me, if I get 1 more year and then have to throw it away, I'm ahead, because I can't drive anything (roomy) for $2300 a year. If I get more years out of it, I'm winning, imho.

I'm looking to spend 10-12000. For that I'm looking at 07 and 08 honda odyssey or 10-13 caravan. Most of the Hondas are right around the timing belt change mileage, not sure if I want to get into that right away. Also don't like the manual valve checks/adjustments. Have either ever come up for you @fastar1?

I'm looking to spend 10-12000. For that I'm looking at 07 and 08 honda odyssey or 10-13 caravan. Most of the Hondas are right around the timing belt change mileage, not sure if I want to get into that right away. Also don't like the manual valve checks/adjustments. Have either ever come up for you @fastar1?

Yeah I got the timing belt done a little early (187000 km) after I purchased it because I couldn't be sure how long it had been since it was done, and it was going to be due imminently. Cheap insurance I figured, plus I knew I'd have the van for a long time so there wasn't really anything to lose.

Along with belts, water pump, and valve clearance check it ran me $825 at the dealer. Valves didn't need adjusting, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom