Dodge Grand Caravan | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dodge Grand Caravan

All you guys crying about driving a minivan...really? You let that define you? I have had both previous generation models (1999 and 2005) and miss the functionality of them. Can't make Costco runs like I used to. My old scooter? Rolled it right in. Would get another if the right one came around.
Someone mentioned that they were going to axe this? Can't see it happening. Number 1 selling minivan.
OP - pros: roomy, functional, cheap
Cons (in my experience ) gas guzzler, replace brakes often (I drive hard) bad trannys ( my models) rust issues.
If you get one of the $20k deals, cool. Otherwise I would go used.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

+1

I really don't understand the stigma and aversion to minivans. Unless you really actually go offroad or can benefit from the increased ride height of an SUV a minivan has more utility and for less money.

I have thought about going back to one for my next vehicle; but even my wife is ribbing me about it and telling me to buy something "more fun". I would like to get a hybrid trailer and to get a SUV that has a similar towing capacity would cost me at least $5000-$10000 more upfront and then cost more for gas.

If I were the OP I would look at a 2014 or wait until the 2017s come out and try to get something two years old and take advantage of the steep depreciation on these. They make a smart buy at the 2-4 year old mark; really hard to argue with the bang for buck of these things. Even if it needs a few extra repairs the savings on these versus the Toyota or Honda more than pays for the difference in purchase price. Put the savings into your next bike! ;)

...I really don't understand the stigma and aversion to minivans. .....

Same as the station wagon decades ago. It was too functional to be cool. Fashion and image. Things come around though. UJM and adventure bikes weren't always as "cool" as they are now.

Crossovers are basically minivans anyway

263783_zpsvtcxpynw.jpg

With less storage space and worse gas mileage.

Pretty much. I have tried to tell my wife that I don't need an Equinox, Terrain, Rav4 etc and that I will not feel or look any "cooler" in one. I can put one heck of a nice sound system into a Grand Caravan, tow a lightweight hybrid trailer, and spend the savings on things I would get more enjoyment out of like vacations, watches etc. Winter tires on minivans has always gotten me through the crappy stuff and if I really needed AWD I could always look at a used Toyota Sienna with AWD. With the price of gas only getting worse with Wynne's latest tax grab I would rather my cage being the most economical choice which can get the job done.

Pretty much. I have tried to tell my wife that I don't need an Equinox, Terrain, Rav4 etc and that I will not feel or look any "cooler" in one. I can put one heck of a nice sound system into a Grand Caravan, tow a lightweight hybrid trailer, and spend the savings on things I would get more enjoyment out of like vacations, watches etc. Winter tires on minivans has always gotten me through the crappy stuff and if I really needed AWD I could always look at a used Toyota Sienna with AWD. With the price of gas only getting worse with Wynne's latest tax grab I would rather my cage being the most economical choice which can get the job done.

What Chevy makes a guy look cool? A Vette maybe but there are no shortages of any of the rest of their vehicles on the road and most people don't give a damn anyway. Just different coloured jelly beans.

How many cars are there on the road that make a person say "I saw a _______ today"? Any of those under six figures with the exception of vintage tin?

Even in the exotic world there are Ferrari models that serious Ferrari collectors snicker at. Looking cool isn't as easy as it used to be.

I got a grand caravan years ago when the kids were little. Replaced them as they wore out since they were a very useful vehicle. Nowadays the seats are almost always out and I use it more like a truck, pulling wood and deer out of the woods. I always buy at least ten years old, so had to buy a few over the years. The only unexpected issue I ever had was a transmission on one of the pre-2000's. Some other pain-in-the-*** things like the cooling fan packing it in while on vacation towing a too heavy trailer and electrical issues on the 2002 I now have. These may be related to the vehicle having been parked for too long and rodents having their way with the wiring harness. Two things to note. Make sure you get the 3.3 l engine; I once got the 3 l and it was gutless. The newer ones with Stow-and-Go seats don't have the same space between the wheel-wells as the pre-2003 (I think that's when it changed). You can't lay a sheet of drywall or plywood down in them anymore. Just my 2 cents.

+1 on the 3.3

+1 on the 3.3

I had good experiences with that motor and the 3.8L. Of course the Pentastar engine is a whole other league from these old mills (although pushrod engines put out a lot of readily available torque).

Looking for a replacement vehicle. The Caravan has decent cargo size and good access. I've never been a Chrysler fan but no particular reason.

2015 or 2016 model

Comments?
If you can afford to spend more you should look at total cost of ownership. You might come out ahead with a Toyota or Honda. I have a 2002 Odyssey with 220000 km and at this point there's no reason for me to doubt it will go another 10+ years.

The shuddering i get while reading this thread confirms that i'll get snipped after baby #2
I'm at baby #0 and I love my minivan. The age of woman I date aren't impressed by nice wheels any more, and I have the motorcycle for driving enjoyment. The van is roomy, comfy, offers a commanding view of the road and as everyone else has said you can't beat it for loading up lumber and/or a motorcycle (yes it can take them both at the same time). Only city mileage sucks, but I mostly cycle and take the bus so it doesn't hurt me much. Out of the city it dips into the 8 l/100km range on secondary highways.

Shed your ego, reap the rewards.

Depending on total ownership time a Honda/Toyota may work out better than a domestic. I should see what my buddy thinks of his Sienna that's getting on in age.

I know that the Hondas/ Toyotas are reliable, but not sure if you could get them at a price to be better long term than the Caravan.
I got pretty lucky with my first off lease Caravan : 1999 bought in 2001 with 100k for $8168 taxes in. Had a steering issue (don't recall what) cost me about $1200. Usual tires and basic maintenance (which I mention, but don't factor in as every vehicle will need it). Sold it in 2007 for $3k with 240k kms. So about a grand a year it cost me.
I'm the type that want my used vehicles to cost me $3k or less a year. That for me justifies buying used.
A guy I know works for Toyota. Can get me executive off lease vehicles at a discount. But when he pulled up and showed me that $60k Sienna, as nice as it was, even at 100k it will cost you a pretty penny. Daily driver that hits the drive thru, and has dirt from work thrown in it, I want basic transportation. Fun, I ride. And one day, a Vette.

13508914_10207030609827172_6869963812795300403_n.jpg

If you can afford to spend more you should look at total cost of ownership. You might come out ahead with a Toyota or Honda. I have a 2002 Odyssey with 220000 km and at this point there's no reason for me to doubt it will go another 10+ years.

I'm at baby #0 and I love my minivan. The age of woman I date aren't impressed by nice wheels any more, and I have the motorcycle for driving enjoyment. The van is roomy, comfy, offers a commanding view of the road and as everyone else has said you can't beat it for loading up lumber and/or a motorcycle (yes it can take them both at the same time). Only city mileage sucks, but I mostly cycle and take the bus so it doesn't hurt me much. Out of the city it dips into the 8 l/100km range on secondary highways.

Shed your ego, reap the rewards.

the macular degenerated type

Back
Top Bottom